Sign in to follow this  
archietaylor7

McAlinden

9 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Thank god Allen was ill, Tobi contributed more in that game than Allen has for weeks 

Disagree. Allen has been okay. I wouldn’t say he’s been crap and I wouldn’t say he’s been good either but he always looks to beat his man and more often than not he does due to his pace. His end product isn’t the best though. 

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

Performances compared to your Hero.

I dont have a hero, I'm talking about 1 player who has done very little, the stats back it up but apparently his performances have been good? Even though he doesn't score or assist which is his job.

3 minutes ago, greygoose said:

I dont have a hero, I'm talking about 1 player who has done very little, the stats back it up but apparently his performances have been good? Even though he doesn't score or assist which is his job.

I'm talking about one player compared to another, the other being from the Godfrey Obebo school of comedy.

• Haha 1

Always felt at our level you can’t play with a lone striker 

we just don’t get the quality of striker who manage that position .. when you do they don’t stay at our level long 

national league clubs really need to be playing two up top 

4-4-2 or 5-3-2 

not convinced on 4-3-3. If you are playing with two wide men and a line striker 

TSS at the beginning of the season seemed to get support from cam king and McAlinden..even Maher and Staunton we’re getting forward .. we were scoring goals from all over the team 

but then with injuries in the team he became stranded and our tactic was hoof it forward.. and at that point it showed his true national league ability 

my sense now is the team is coming back to where it was .. I am sure we will see Rodney flourish under a two up front system .. with TSS coming off the bench against tiring defences 

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Always felt at our level you can’t play with a lone striker 

we just don’t get the quality of striker who manage that position .. when you do they don’t stay at our level long 

national league clubs really need to be playing two up top 

4-4-2 or 5-3-2 

not convinced on 4-3-3. If you are playing with two wide men and a line striker 

TSS at the beginning of the season seemed to get support from cam king and McAlinden..even Maher and Staunton we’re getting forward .. we were scoring goals from all over the team 

but then with injuries in the team he became stranded and our tactic was hoof it forward.. and at that point it showed his true national league ability 

my sense now is the team is coming back to where it was .. I am sure we will see Rodney flourish under a two up front system .. with TSS coming off the bench against tiring defences 

Think the only time I have seen the lone striker work well in recent years was when Gregory was up top, but he was a class act in this position.

Was thinking with neither Redshaw nor Rodney particularly tall the ball should be played on the deck which is a good thing

8 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

Performances are light years ahead.

They aren’t. Just because he runs faster? Tobi has more goals than Allan, Tobi has more assists than Allan. Time to find another target now everyone has their dream partnership up front.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

They aren’t. Just because he runs faster? Tobi has more goals than Allan, Tobi has more assists than Allan. Time to find another target now everyone has their dream partnership up front.

Will Appleyard??

11 hours ago, Guido said:

Very hard to drop when has scored and an assist for the 2nd.

TSS & Redders to start, Will be surprised if any different.

I don’t know how much more people want from him in a game tbh. Not saying he should start every game, but he was handed an opportunity on Saturday, for whatever reason, and he took it well. For me, if a player scores one and assists another in a 2-1 win then they’ve done enough to justify a place in the team for the next game, so if he’s starting I won’t complain.

TSS has been ok for me this season, went through a poor spell at the same time as the rest of the team and tbh should have been dropped. But, how else do you expect a player to turn it around if you don’t give them a chance to do it in a game? If he then has a poor game, then take him off, switch him out for the following game, but if he scores again? By all means give him another one.

5 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

I don’t know how much more people want from him in a game tbh. Not saying he should start every game, but he was handed an opportunity on Saturday, for whatever reason, and he took it well. For me, if a player scores one and assists another in a 2-1 win then they’ve done enough to justify a place in the team for the next game, so if he’s starting I won’t complain.

TSS has been ok for me this season, went through a poor spell at the same time as the rest of the team and tbh should have been dropped. But, how else do you expect a player to turn it around if you don’t give them a chance to do it in a game? If he then has a poor game, then take him off, switch him out for the following game, but if he scores again? By all means give him another one.

Totally agree and the time we were going through a bad spell we had an uninterested McAllinden and an unfit Redshaw so the options weren’t really available to replace him.

1 minute ago, Ash said:

Totally agree and the time we were going through a bad spell we had an uninterested McAllinden and an unfit Redshaw so the options weren’t really available to replace him.

Can't see how you would determine LMc was uninterested when clearly as documented he was with us on a short term contract to resett his career,  I never witnessed him show disinterest but I did notice frustration from him in for the lack if service through a period towards the end,  I also think that he was not in the starting line up the last few games due to us needing to bed in a new pertential goal scorer,  I doubt it was because he didn't want to get injured he would have been egar to keep his profile up I would say,  all in all I think he did ya a good service sorry to see him go. 

18 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

This does seems to be the revisionist view. I don't know why he started so few games over the last few months, other than Wild feeling he couldn't find a role for him in his then system. McAlinden certainly offered less when playing out wide, but I don't agree with those who say he effectively downed tools. He was getting 15 minutes per game, scored at Stockport with a typically incisive finish and created at least one golden opportunity for TSS in his brief cameo at Barnet. I would have liked him to stay, but maybe he wanted more football and/or Wild wanted a different type of forward. I hope he doesn't become another Quigley.

• Like 1

Wild said a while ago he recognised the need to bring someone in to compete with TSS and push him for his place. We now, finally, have that. Hence I wouldn't expect him to be an automatic starter anymore. I think this will be good for him - not only might some competition drive improved performances when he does get a chance, but the guy was playing 90 mins game in game out and that must have affected his energy levels, both physically and mentally.

• Like 3

According to Wiki, McAlinden has never really had a career . Averaging about 3 goals a season at a variety of not great teams . Admittedly, Stockport is much closer to his Midlands base . Ultimately, he has an agent that dreams of electric sheep

10 hours ago, TJAshton said:

Disagree. Allen has been okay. I wouldn’t say he’s been crap and I wouldn’t say he’s been good either but he always looks to beat his man and more often than not he does due to his pace. His end product isn’t the best though. 

Allen would have played up front with Redshaw. Tobi is more effective 

10 hours ago, Flea said:

Tobi works hard, he's a nice lad, keeps his head down and seems a good body to have around the team.

However, he has had more than half a season with little in return in the past few months in the form of goals and assists.

I am interested to see how he would cope having an actual proper strike partner next to him, instead of 20 yards behind him and am hopeful that if this happens he can show something different, however for the time being, he has been Plan A all season, and Plan B naturally looks to be Redshaw and Rodney.

What I would like to see now is RnR start the next few games and at least get an hour in every game with them both on the pitch to see how they perform. They probably need at least 6 games in fairness to see if there is a link and chemistry between them. In this time I would view TSS to be the third choice option behind them and would like to see him given a half hour here and there at the end of games rotating with one of Redshaw and Rodney to see how he works in a front two. 

Im not writing Tobi off and saying he shouldn't be involved or can't play in a front two. I do however feel he needs time out of the team whilst we explore the front two option with Redshaw and Rodney first.

Hopefully TSS can still have a huge part to play for us and he can step up to be part of a rotating front two. For now however, I feel he shouldn't be starting ahead of the other two. 

If we want to get into the play offs we need the strikers to hit the ground running, whether its Redshaw, Rodney, Sho-Silva, Allen or Southwell. I do agree that Redshaw & Rodney on paper looks the best partnership, but for people to rule out TSS and want him cleaning boots is laughable 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

If we want to get into the play offs we need the strikers to hit the ground running, whether its Redshaw, Rodney, Sho-Silva, Allen or Southwell. I do agree that Redshaw & Rodney on paper looks the best partnership, but for people to rule out TSS and want him cleaning boots is laughable 

I agree,every time he bends down to pick them up he'd fall over...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Allen would have played up front with Redshaw. Tobi is more effective 

Allen played down the middle not so long ago (Think chesterfield at home) and he held the ball up better than TSS,  He brought other people into the game and had more movement up there as well (not hard). Either way Allen deserves a chance in this team as I see some potential with him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Can't see how you would determine LMc was uninterested when clearly as documented he was with us on a short term contract to resett his career,  I never witnessed him show disinterest but I did notice frustration from him in for the lack if service through a period towards the end,  I also think that he was not in the starting line up the last few games due to us needing to bed in a new pertential goal scorer,  I doubt it was because he didn't want to get injured he would have been egar to keep his profile up I would say,  all in all I think he did ya a good service sorry to see him go. 

I can't quite work out what Liam's preferred position is. Maybe a number 10 perhaps? He still isn't an architypal number 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Redshaw, Rodney, Cam King & Allen could destroy any team in this league when settled in together.

Pace, Movement, Creativity, Skill and players who can can finish. 

1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

Allen played down the middle not so long ago (Think chesterfield at home) and he held the ball up better than TSS,  He brought other people into the game and had more movement up there as well (not hard). Either way Allen deserves a chance in this team as I see some potential with him. 

Thought it was about goals on that role? 

• Haha 1