Sign in to follow this  
Bubba

Chris Wilder

He could be a mardy arse as well though. Sometimes he didnt realise the state the club was in and expected it to be run as professionally as a club in league 2. Probably just the standards he set himself, but he had little appreciation for how tight things were financially except when it suited his narrative i.e "shopping at Aldi".

Even though the club was on its arse, he always demanded an overnight stay for matches down south. It would cost £3-4k and David Cairns used to go mad because we never seemed to win the games where the club had paid out the expense for the luxury.

I wouldnt necessarily give him much credit for the club still being in existence - thats not to say he didnt do a brilliant job, but he had little sympathy for the board of directors over how tight things were.

Richard & Christine were fantastic and had a hell of a time keeping the club going. The main credit (from a financial point of view) from that era should really go to David Cairns and the other directors at the time (who chipped in). I havent spoken to him in years but he really was HTAFC to the core. Plenty on here will know him, and know he wasnt 'rich'. But he did his utmost to keep the club going, spent endless hours down at the Shay and I dread to think how much he and Val invested (for no return). Purely for the sake of his love of the club.

• Like 2

I actually don't think Wlder did the great job that some speak of overall here when you look back. I think it was a place he made lots of mistakes at but ones he clearly learnt from, making him the manager he is today. 

Yes we were 15 mins from the FL but lets not forget we did have FT status throughout his tenure, something that wasn't as common in this league back then.

Of the 6 seasons he was here only 2006 can be classed as an over achievement. Twelve months later we survived relegation on the last day and whilst there were constraints behind the scenes he was backed quite well for signings most of the time.

A decent manager for us but a great one now is how i would descibe him.

Your right about David Cairns and Adie Hall as well.

Still remember in each of the three months I was there,  there was a pay day phone call to all the directors or associates(including Jim Brown) basically begging from anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand pounds to cover that months shortfalls and pay wages. 

Chris wilder was always Top drawer with me personally, but i think he was Just intrigued as to why I had travelled all that way to volunteer for the club from Australia. 

Craig Nelthorpes dad, when he came on loan to us from Doncaster at the time. Said it was ridiculous how professional Halifax in relation to donny(lge 1 at time) was with regards to pre match.

which makes sense with what you were saying about Wilder and his insistence on away trips stop overs etc.

The much-maligned Trust put in about £150-200k over a very short space of time - obviously most of it coming from the supporters - but people easily forget how successful the HTST was. People always go on about how much money this BoD gave the club during that same period (usually estimating about 300k) - well, the Trust did its bit too.

Anyways, I don't think many managers have been as successful as Wilder at the levels he's been at, not to mention at mostly 'unfashionable' clubs. I remember you telling me that he always refused to write his notes for the programme, presumably you always did them yourself, but I guess getting rid of the peripheral stuff has perhaps helped him become the manager he is. Wonder if he writes the programme notes at Sheffield Utd - wonder if any of the top managers do?

3 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Wonder if he writes the programme notes at Sheffield Utd - wonder if any of the top managers do?

Very much doubt it or if any do.

I remember one set of 'Managers Notes' I had written, I had touched on something very minor (I cant even remember what it was) which he wasnt very happy about. A bit of a no win situation.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

The much-maligned Trust put in about £150-200k over a very short space of time - obviously most of it coming from the supporters - but people easily forget how successful the HTST was. People always go on about how much money this BoD gave the club during that same period (usually estimating about 300k) - well, the Trust did its bit too.

Anyways, I don't think many managers have been as successful as Wilder at the levels he's been at, not to mention at mostly 'unfashionable' clubs. I remember you telling me that he always refused to write his notes for the programme, presumably you always did them yourself, but I guess getting rid of the peripheral stuff has perhaps helped him become the manager he is. Wonder if he writes the programme notes at Sheffield Utd - wonder if any of the top managers do?

Very much an open secret that few managers actually write them thereselves. 

4 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Very much an open secret that few managers actually write them thereselves. 

I don't understand why. It's like talking to the media, it's part of their job - or at least it should be. I wouldn't be happy with someone sticking my name to something I didn't say, no matter how neutral and bland it may be.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoddie said:

I don't understand why. It's like talking to the media, it's part of their job - or at least it should be. I wouldn't be happy with someone sticking my name to something I didn't say, no matter how neutral and bland it may be.

In the vast majority of cases it won't be as simple as having their names attached to something not said by them to be fair. What happens is that they'll be interviewed privately for it, and the answers given will be reworded into something that looks like it was written by the manager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lewis said:

In the vast majority of cases it won't be as simple as having their names attached to something not said by them to be fair. What happens is that they'll be interviewed privately for it, and the answers given will be reworded into something that looks like it was written by the manager. 

Ah yeah that makes sense.

45 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I write all mine. And buy a programme to read them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bubba said:

Comments from Lewis Killeen and Jake Wright.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50866397

"One of the main things that he used to say to us in the changing room was that he could put his dog on the pitch and it would work hard. He wanted that quality as well on top. Lewis Killeen.

Are you listening out there?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

"One of the main things that he used to say to us in the changing room was that he could put his dog on the pitch and it would work hard. He wanted that quality as well on top. Lewis Killeen.

Correct. Said it for a long time. Danny Clarke type players. Hard workers, no quality 

13 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

A great quote! He had a go at some reporter the other week when they congratulated him on how hard his team works, he said hard work is a give and players shouldn't get credit for that 

One side to Chrissy Wilder is that sometimes-whispered question of whether he'd be in contention for the England job one day? Although there's probably no vacancy any time soon, he'd certainly be one of the first names that would come up.

He's tough. All the talk from last summer about Sheffield United being likely to struggle at the bottom all season, and I'm sure very few Shaymen believed that.

Still prefer Wednesday though.

he did of course come in for a lot of stick on here about how rubbish a manager he was.............................

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

he did of course come in for a lot of stick on here about how rubbish a manager he was.............................

Most of the criticism was for him being a miserable bar steward and him slagging fans off, more than once.

Top guy David Kearns and I remember him taking all the posters down in the weavers that the rugby club had put up over night for our promotion party.

3 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Most of the criticism was for him being a miserable bar steward and him slagging fans off, more than once.

Ran over to the skircoat complaining once because some fans were unhappy Chris senior took the ball towards the corner when through towards goal even though we were 3-0 up with a few minutes left.

55 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

He got loads of criticism for team selection and subs too.

The irony is that he was very similar to the fans in that he expected far too much from the directors than was ever going to be possible.

I think one of the positive things about Chris Wilder during his time at The Shay was his use of the loan market. He signed some really good players on loan and it would have been I retesting to see how he'd have faired if he'd had a bit of money to spend. I have no doubt in my mind that he would have won promotion.

1 hour ago, steve lumb said:

Wilder Out and Time to go Wilder was shouted at the Shay many times

10 hours ago, Ash said:

Wilder Out and Time to go Wilder was shouted at the Shay many times

Just swap Wilder for the current manager and it seems to be the go to shout after a hoof up field or a sustained bit of possession nowadays