Sign in to follow this  
Bubba

Piece Hall/The Shay

The Piece Hall has made a loss of £800k in their 2nd year of trading though that is being ignored given the linked benefits to the Town such as additional footfall spending their money, not just in the Piece Hall.

This is how the council should view the Shay Stadium. All year round it brings people into the area from other towns around the country, spending their money to the benefit of the local economy.

I am not up to date with what the stadium costs CMBC annually but it would be interesting if they did a similar exercise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

The Piece Hall has made a loss of £800k in their 2nd year of trading though that is being ignored given the linked benefits to the Town such as additional footfall spending their money, not just in the Piece Hall.

This is how the council should view the Shay Stadium. All year round it brings people into the area from other towns around the country, spending their money to the benefit of the local economy.

I am not up to date with what the stadium costs CMBC annually but it would be interesting if they did a similar exercise. 

I thought The Shay had started to break even?

Got to say that I did a tour of The Piece Hall a few weeks ago (my since the refurbishment) and I really hope those businesses are on super low rents because none of them are actually selling anything that people desperately need . It was dead quiet on the day I was there and the shop owners were grateful just for someone to step inside and have a gander but they are going to need an heavy footfall of grockles to keep those businesses ticking over . The sell out concerts and other courtyard events should be bringing in good money as long as they are properly managed

3 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

The last report I read a couple of years ago said it was losing about £150-200k a year (from memory).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think break wind would be more accurate . Still paying for The East Stand, The North and South in need of pressing maintenance, The West Stand (Skircoat) needing reviving (a 2k head standing terrace running the full length would be very nice with a low roof for acoustics) , and we haven't even started on the pitch

1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I think break wind would be more accurate . Still paying for The East Stand, The North and South in need of pressing maintenance, The West Stand (Skircoat) needing reviving (a 2k head standing terrace running the full length would be very nice with a low roof for acoustics) , and we haven't even started on the pitch

As much i love the Shay its not really suited to either of its residents. A smaller purpose built staduim would be better for us, what is the point spending money on Skircoat and North stand when they dont eveb get used? 

• Like 1

Kind of agree but rather than build a purpose built new stadium, why not just redevelop (as has been looked at in the past) the whole of the west side of the stadium, incorporating a smaller stand, rather than upping sticks?

I don't get this argument of too big, a stadium can never be too big and our current maximum capacity is only 9000 . With a few minor improvements and an Harrogate style bikeshed along The Skircoat we'd have a nice comfortable 12k Stadium to be proud of

3 hours ago, Bubba said:

Agreed on the surface of it. Meaning I am agnostic towards the claim of the linked benefits (albeit things like the Piece Hall which I love bring me to town more often, so it’s true in my case), but that it should be extended to regional attractions such as the Shay. The Council may have more scope for further funding on frontline services and investment in multipliers if it does gear itself more towards encouraging daytripping and tourism to our area, which does seem to be a growing thing.

I advise you raise this with a councillor if you ever get the opportunity, as I would do the same. Football clubs of course aren’t mega cash cows on the other hand, even many top sides having cash flows similar to decent sized supermarkets afaik, but provided fans are putting more in overall, it’d work in a small way to our favour.

The loss on its own does need commenting on as it’s a shame to see losses, albeit within their PwC-determined five year predictions?

I have tweeted the Council Leader, Tim Swift. Whether I get a response, I shall not hold my breath.

I wouldn’t be too hopeful either, but in person I reckon other councillors would be amenable and maybe even bipartisan.

21 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I have tweeted the Council Leader, Tim Swift. Whether I get a response, I shall not hold my breath.

Tuddenham pulls all the strings but he was the big player in trying to sell The Shay to that Southern chancer

• Like 1

I don't get this argument of too big, a stadium can never be too big and our current maximum capacity is only 9000 . With a few minor improvements and an Harrogate style bikeshed along The Skircoat we'd have a nice comfortable 12k Stadium to be proud of

Its too big if your having to service unused areas surely?

Tuddenham pulls all the strings but he was the big player in trying to sell The Shay to that Southern chancer

is he still there??

21 minutes ago, chadders said:

is he still there??

He is chief exec, unless he has recently left.

Wouldn't necessarily expect venues/facilities/landmarks such as the Piece Hall and the Shay to be profit making financially (though naturally that would be ideal). The non-financial benefits to the community ought to be part of the business cases for investing in and maintaining them, and I would have thought those benefits would outweigh any financial loss.

It is the job of local government to provide facilities for the public to use. The public is footing the bill after all, not the chief exec or councillors. Running some facilities at a loss is to be expected, though I struggle to believe either the Piece Hall or the Shay should be loss making. I think it points to mismanagement rather than "that's how it needs to be".

I wonder what happened to the plan/idea of one of the major hotel chains building a new hotel on Huddersfield Rd and incorporating a new stand. That would be an Ideal scenario.

As it stands I kind of agree with the guy who says the Shay is not really a great ground for us. I was talking to a long standing Town supporter at last weeks game and we both agreed that it is to big and lacks any kind of atmosphere. We both agreed that a Harrogate type ground would be better suited to our requirements, smaller stands to 4 sides with supporter all around the pitch. The Shay is just way to big. I personally think that the Shay is one of the reasons why we are better away from home. Just my opinion of course.

Of course, some of the loss made by the Shay could be offset if the local council were to use the office space and function rooms on a non match day, rather than spunking millions on offices in the town centre. 

Quite simply the facilities at the Shay are up there with the best of them and it is simply criminal that they are not used on non match days and sit under used and empty. That negligence falls on the owners of the ground, whom would rather spend for more office space than use what they have got. 

It should also be noted how feckless the local council are at chasing monies owed for the use of and the sponsorship of the ground. If they are that lax at getting what is owed continually there becomes a time where you say they deserve all the dodgy wideboys they get chancing their arm on a freebie. 

6 hours ago, greygoose said:

As much i love the Shay its not really suited to either of its residents. A smaller purpose built staduim would be better for us, what is the point spending money on Skircoat and North stand when they dont eveb get used? 

They would get used if the club pulled its finger out.

We are getting a new bus station just 30 years after that one was built. The Council tax we pay is obviously too much.

45 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

I wonder what happened to the plan/idea of one of the major hotel chains building a new hotel on Huddersfield Rd and incorporating a new stand. That would be an Ideal scenario.

As it stands I kind of agree with the guy who says the Shay is not really a great ground for us. I was talking to a long standing Town supporter at last weeks game and we both agreed that it is to big and lacks any kind of atmosphere. We both agreed that a Harrogate type ground would be better suited to our requirements, smaller stands to 4 sides with supporter all around the pitch. The Shay is just way to big. I personally think that the Shay is one of the reasons why we are better away from home. Just my opinion of course.

Bollocks!

25 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Why the hell would we want a 3000 capacity chocolate box 4 miles out of the town centre ?

Didn't mention any capacities WB, or where the stadium might be, but the reality is that the fickle 1500 die hard supporters that we have are lost at the Shay. I say 1500 because we've seen again recently just how poor the stay aways are when things aren't just going "perfect". The Shay in principal would be a good ground if the East stand was finished externally and the North & West stands were sorted out. And by sorted out I mean levelled and proper modern stands were erected in their places. And you know as well as I do that that's not gonna happen any time soon.