TJAshton

Stockport At Home New Years Day

4 minutes ago, Greggs said:

If we keep Redshaw we need to get him off corners. Not because he can't take them but because. Cam King fizzed a ball across the box to exactly where Redshaw would have been had he not taken the corner. He needs to be in there for the break of the ball 

Redshaw needs to stay on corners as he clears the 1st man every time , doesn’t have the height to attack the corners 

4 points from last 2 games in such a short space of time is decent, especially the 2 clean sheets. Felt we were more of a flat back 5 first half, king and Williams rarely getting forward. There's some class in that stockport team, Tom Walker is a cracking player. Players like sam Walker on the  bench id have over any of our other recognised central midfielders.  They dominated but we were so close to snatching it at the end with the header. We will take a point and id take the same again saturday away at barnet

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Redshaw needs to stay on corners as he clears the 1st man every time , doesn’t have the height to attack the corners 

Yes but is he the only player we have that can read the break if it comes down in there 

We didn’t win many 2nd balls at all today. That’s the major thing in this league, every deflected pass or header went to one no of their players. The few times during the game that the ball broke to us in midfield we Looked good. Don’t mind cooper, but thought he was poor and a yard behind today. Stockport were one of the better sides we’ve played this season. But this league is a confidence league. There are no standout teams, just teams that have the confidence for a set amount of games. Can easily seeing us needing close to 55 points to stay up this season.

Over the 2 games I would say Stockport were one of the strongest we’ve played in this division 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jmc said:

Over the 2 games I would say Stockport were one of the strongest we’ve played in this division 

Definitely. I think if Rodney had started he would have put away 1 of their first half chances. Some really good players in that team 

At the end Redshaw going round shaking hands with all the players. Maybe that’s it for us? Heard we were worried about giving him a long contract due to fitness concerns. I’d be tempted to take a punt.

3 minutes ago, Lammie said:

At the end Redshaw going round shaking hands with all the players. Maybe that’s it for us? Heard we were worried about giving him a long contract due to fitness concerns. I’d be tempted to take a punt.

I would take a punt. He's played 2 games in 3 days now. Really think we will regret it if we don't. I can't see how we will find better. 

5 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Decent contract till end of season then review 

• Like 1

What about the handball in the first half when the ref did not give as a penalty? From where I was sat it was nailed on. Anyone sat nearer to the North Stand get a better view of it from where they were sitting? I heard at half time the ref said it was not clear enough. ???????. For chuffs sake its either hand ball or its not!!!!

Also noticed that Redshaw had 3 County players on him every time he got the ball. They blocked his shots and runs but he still managed to pass the ball to players in good positions when his way was blocked. Class corners and a class player who is not yet match fit. Hope we can hang on to him.

17 minutes ago, quizmaster said:

What about the handball in the first half when the ref did not give as a penalty? From where I was sat it was nailed on. Anyone sat nearer to the North Stand get a better view of it from where they were sitting? I heard at half time the ref said it was not clear enough. ???????. For chuffs sake its either hand ball or its not!!!!

Also noticed that Redshaw had 3 County players on him every time he got the ball. They blocked his shots and runs but he still managed to pass the ball to players in good positions when his way was blocked. Class corners and a class player who is not yet match fit. Hope we can hang on to him.

Maradonna would have been proud of that one :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least that’s 4 points in 2 games, which means we don’t have to make a decision about PW, which would have been inevitable had we lost both. 

• Like 2

First 20 minutes I thought we were going to let them steam roller over us. Improved as the game went on. Should have had a penalty. 

Despite not having as much possession we still created good chances and got into good areas. Needed better cohesion between the strikers, Redshaw only passes to a team mate when he has no other option, and we might have won late on with a great diving header from Staunton. Not sure that they created quite the chances some of you think they did, Sam made a diving save but what else did he have to do?

Our problem remains over the last 3 years we are trying to play football without the ball. We give possession away so cheaply, particularly the goalkeeper’s kicking. We don’t hold the ball well enough. Wild has improved our attacking options but not much else has changed from last season, we defend deep and try to counter attack. People will always say we were outplayed in those circumstances even when we’ve actually created the best chances to score.

Jeff King had his best game for the club today and Staunton was excellent in midfield.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

First 20 minutes I thought we were going to let them steam roller over us. Improved as the game went on. Should have had a penalty. 

Despite not having as much possession we still created good chances and got into good areas. Needed better cohesion between the strikers, Redshaw only passes to a team mate when he has no other option, and we might have won late on with a great diving header from Staunton. Not sure that they created quite the chances some of you think they did, Sam made a diving save but what else did he have to do?

Our problem remains over the last 3 years we are trying to play football without the ball. We give possession away so cheaply, particularly the goalkeeper’s kicking. We don’t hold the ball well enough. Wild has improved our attacking options but not much else has changed from last season, we defend deep and try to counter attack. People will always say we were outplayed in those circumstances even when we’ve actually created the best chances to score.

Jeff King had his best game for the club today and Staunton was excellent in midfield.

They definitely had several good chances first half, though only one really in the second. A couple of good saves from Johnson, especially one very early on at the near post. There was the one that was cleared off the line too. Add to that numerous dangerous balls across the box and a couple of shots that were just wide. They should have scored at least a couple in that period, imo. If they had it would probably have been a similar score to Boxing Day.

Edited by riccardo259

11 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Not sure that they created quite the chances some of you think they did, Sam made a diving save but what else did he have to do?

They created quite a few chances. So many crosses went into our box and if they could finish they could have been 3/4-0 up at half time.

We are just so lacklustre and have no urgency in our game at all. 

I don’t mind Jeff King but in my opinion he certainly wasnt that good. 

1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

They created quite a few chances. So many crosses went into our box and if they could finish they could have been 3/4-0 up at half time.

He was up against Tom Walker by far there biggest threat whilst playing out of position. He did well against him on the whole. Seems to have found a place in the team. 

7 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

First half battered us, 2nd half quite even.  King has done well in this position, class player is that Tom Walker,  did well against him. Id take a point away saturday, tough game after a busy xmas period

• Like 2

Stockport will be in the play offs come the end of the season....very good team...hard graft is their strong point....play football but also mix it up and are very physical....they seem to win every tackle and 2nd ball.....Barrow to win it...for me yeovil or county through the play offs 

10 minutes ago, Greggs said:

He was up against Tom Walker by far there biggest threat whilst playing out of position. He did well against him on the whole. Seems to have found a place in the team. 

Not saying he was crap. He did so well especially first half 

1 hour ago, quizmaster said:

Quote from Pete Wild interview with Tom Scargill in Courier: 

“I thought it was a clear pen,” he said. “The referee said to me he thought it was too close for it to be a handball.

“I said it denied a goalscoring opportunity, but his reply to that was that the lad he was passing it to was offside.

“It’s handball but we got one on Saturday that I didn’t think was

16 minutes ago, ColinCanberra said:

Got my Christmas wish with two clean sheets. More than happy

That what Shaykehands asked for ,but it never happens:lol:

It’s still a penalty even if the intended recipient was offside as it never got to him. It doesn’t have to be a goal scoring opportunity for it to be a penalty, just handball, which it was. 

Ref bottled it and then made up nonsense to attempt to justify it 

• Like 4

The most Disappointing thing about today was the home crowd and the atmosphere. Just under 2000 home fans on New Year’s Day against Stockport isn’t good at all. 

Whats happened at home games? No atmosphere, east stand looked empty it’s like a morgue nowadays and has been for 2 seasons. 

Today should have been a great game and atmosphere and it was the complete opposite :(

• Like 1