TJAshton

Stockport At Home New Years Day

0-0 at HT but could easily be 2-0 down at least. 

Got better as the half went on but Stockport very much the better side. We had a couple of half chances towards the end but they had several good chances to score. A couple of good saves from Johnson, a goal line clearance and some just wide.

They’re closing us down whenever we’re on the ball, even in our own half so our balls are a bit rushed. By contrast we’re letting them come at us and not closing down much yet they also seem to manage to find a spare man for the pass.

Hopefully this is one of those games where they have a load of chances and it comes back to bite them and we sneak the win.

The north stand part they are in looks packed 

Edited by Nick

1 minute ago, riccardo259 said:

Got better as the half went on but Stockport very much the better side. We had a couple of half chances towards the end but they had several good chances to score. A couple of good saves from Johnson, a goal line clearance and some just wide.

They’re closing us down whenever we’re on the ball, even in our own half so our balls are a bit rushed. By contrast we’re letting them come at us and not closing down much yet they also seem to manage to find a spare man for the pass.

Hopefully this is one of those games where they have a load of chances and it comes back to bite them and we sneak the win.

Well that has happened to us a few times this season 

All their fans now having to leave east stand at full time instead of north stand,  absolute braindead decision, 3k plus trying to leave at same time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

Well that has happened to us a few times this season 

Very true, about time we had it go the other way for once 

4 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Stockport are good but we have been resilient, need to hold it tight for 15, no stupid ( or otherwise) early goal to be conceded

Sutton beating woking 5-0 at half time

Edited by Nick

Whether we win lose or draw today it has been a awful performance. Been battered in every position by them, they look a league above us in every way. Fingers crossed we get something

Fair result that. They were certainly be the better team. However they didn't create loads 2nd half. We still created chances. This is the right way to play. It won't always work in terms of winning today I didn't. However we will win far more games this way than we will lose. 

• Like 1

Not too unhappy with that , they were better 1st half but we had chances at the end to win it oh well 

How we didn’t lose that I’ll never know. First half was rubbish. 2nd half a bit better but clueless going forward. 

I think The chesterfield game made us look good as they were so poor. Today was no different to how it’s been recently apart from a few more half chances. 

Not too arsed as it’s another point on the board but I thought Stockport were very well organised. 

How does every team we play at home make the pitch look massive and have so much attack and space?? We make the pitch look tiny and look useless going forward? 

Only positive is another point gained and move onto the next game which is another tough one at Barnet. 

Edited by TJAshton

Feel like we robbed a point off them today looked lack lustre and not interested first half. Second half purple patch was good to watch and unlucky Josh Staunton headed their centre half and the post 

Wow. Not a good game for the nerves. Stockport dominated for a good 70 mins or so, and should really have been at least 2 up by half time. Some good saves from Johnson and a goal line clearance kept us in it.

Second half was a bit different though, we started well from kick off forcing a corner and a good chance where Redshaw (I think) just couldn’t get the ball out of his feet after the keeper clapped at the cross. That bright start lasted all of about 2 minutes, though, and it was more of the same like the first half. We grew into the second half though, and last 20 mins we were probably just about the better side and definitely looked more like scoring. Could have snatched it at the death when Staunton hit the post. For all their possession second half I can only think of one real chance Stockport had, forcing a good diving save from Johnson. We definitely had more chances to score second half, but Stockport should have been out of sight by that point in all honesty.

20 mins into this game I’d have bitten your hand off for a 0-0. Decent result, especially given the score line on Boxing Day. Consecutive clean sheets too, which is pleasing after conceding 9 in the previous 2.

On a separate note, I’ve now managed 4 games this season - Sutton and Woking away, Chesterfield and Stockport at home - and I’ve witnessed 2 goals scored and 0 conceded.

Edited by riccardo259
  • Like 1

Maybe my name expectations were low but I thought we did ok today. Certainly at improvement on Edgeley Park. Sam pulled off a great save in the second half and Staunton almost got us a winner at the end. They were all over us in the first 20 minutes but we improved as the game went on. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

How we didn’t lose that I’ll never know. First half was rubbish. 2nd half a bit better but clueless going forward. 

I think The chesterfield game made us look good as they were so poor. Today was no different to how it’s been recently apart from a few more half chances. 

Not too arsed as it’s another point on the board but I thought Stockport were very well organised. 

How does every team we play at home make the pitch look massive and have so much attack and space?? We make the pitch look tiny and look useless going forward? 

Only positive is another point gained and move onto the next game which is another tough one at Barnet. 

Think that's a bit harsh. First half they were all over us yes. However 2nd half was more even. This way of playing needs time. We sure as hell gave the kick and rush to Silva long enough. You have to give credit to the opposition as well. But we won't always come up against a team as organised as a Stockport. These players are our best hope of staying up there challenging. Like I said it needs to be given time  

• Like 4

Whilst Stockport had a lot of the ball in the first half, they didn’t massively threaten bar a couple of scares. Second half was even. We had the best chance of the game with Staunton hitting the post in all honesty. Fair result in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Whilst Stockport had a lot of the ball in the first half, they didn’t massively threaten bar a couple of scares. Second half was even. We had the best chance of the game with Staunton hitting the post in all honesty. Fair result in my opinion.

Thought they were better team over the 90 mins, but thought we should have had a pen just before half time, for hand ball when King tried to pass to Williams

Edited by eddie
Spelling

If we keep Redshaw we need to get him off corners. Not because he can't take them but because. Cam King fizzed a ball across the box to exactly where Redshaw would have been had he not taken the corner. He needs to be in there for the break of the ball 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

What was important today was not to lose. We didn’t and four points from 2 home games is better than expected.

We rode our luck a lot first half but as the game went on we imposed ourselves more and more on the game and had the better chances to win the game second half. Stauntons header hitting the inside of the post shows the fine margins in games.

I think both Williams and J King in their wingback roles did very well again. Back three of Maher, Brown and Clarke dealt with everything thrown at them particularly on corners.

Think the midfield had less time this game and passing at times could have been quicker and more accurate.

Enjoyed the game it was very open at times and good commitment from the players. Cam King demonstrated his influence again, but tired quicker today.

Its important now to get the three players whose contracts are up this month sorted out. We need all of them.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2