Sign in to follow this  
Papa Lazarou

Josh MacDonald

5 hours ago, Shayfan92 said:

Allen and Redshaw are the types who would potentially benefit from his low crosses between the centre backs and keeper with their pace and movement. King was excellent today so deserves to keep his spot but I wouldn’t mind seeing Josh come on for half an hour NYD and seeing how he fits in with the new shape/attacking lineup. 

We are 1-0 up 30 mins to go bring on josh..lose 2-1... hope you still  think he was worth seeing how he fits in 

Not sure how long McCoulsky is here for, but if I were McDonald I wouldn't be happy being left out of a match day squad for a loanee. McCoulsky has offered nothing in his time here, and the goal he apparently scored that ricoched off his ass in the Notts County game means nothing to me. I still believe that Josh can impact a game. And as a couple have said on here, Redshaw & Allen would benefit from his pace and crosses as Danny Williams did against Wrexham.

• Like 1

Just now, archietaylor7 said:

Not sure how long McCoulsky is here for, but if I were McDonald I wouldn't be happy being left out of a match day squad for a loanee. McCoulsky has offered nothing in his time here, and the goal he apparently scored that ricoched off his ass in the Notts County game means nothing to me. I still believe that Josh can impact a game. And as a couple have said on here, Redshaw & Allen would benefit from his pace and crosses as Danny Williams did against Wrexham.

Don´t think Josh will be here long now archie.

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Don´t think Josh will be here long now archie.

Your probably right SL, it's a shame because he does have some really good qualities, but if he isn't going to figure in Wilds plans then it's time to let him go. We cant afford non playing players. Which would also bring me back to Appleyard, sorry, but I just think it's a waste of money having a 2nd keeper who never plays. On the evidence I've seen at YA & Farsley, if Sam picked up an injury then Appleyard isn't ready to step into the breech and we would have to get an experienced loanee anyway. (Again, nothing against young Will, but he's not ready).

25 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Your probably right SL, it's a shame because he does have some really good qualities, but if he isn't going to figure in Wilds plans then it's time to let him go. We cant afford non playing players. Which would also bring me back to Appleyard, sorry, but I just think it's a waste of money having a 2nd keeper who never plays. On the evidence I've seen at YA & Farsley, if Sam picked up an injury then Appleyard isn't ready to step into the breech and we would have to get an experienced loanee anyway. (Again, nothing against young Will, but he's not ready).

Always said the same waste of money in sub keeper.

8 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

Different style of players though Archie. One is a winger and the other a striker.

10 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Different style of players though Archie. One is a winger and the other a striker.

If I needed to bring on an attacking player, based on who we had on the bench on Saturday and based on what I've seen of both these players then McDonald would get my shout every time. We've probably not seen enough of McCoulsky to be fair to him, it must be hard arriving at a club for 1 month and trying to fit in. It may also be a condition of the loan period that the player has to be match day ready as that is the point of the loan period. Not convinced that Josh is fully fit yet either.

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I really think we may have missed a trick in not developing MacDonald to play more centrally . Out and out wingers are a dying breed

You mean coaches have coached the winger out. Utter nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Shaymus said:

You mean coaches have coached the winger out. Utter nonsense. 

We have had so many managers in J Macs tenure its no surprise he has not progressed to expectations, add to that a twelve month lay up with a serious injury, Still feel he has something different to offer but needs players around him to keep up & yes he can defend when called upon to tackle back & has caught up with lost causes several times.

1 hour ago, Roy Race said:

We have had so many managers in J Macs tenure its no surprise he has not progressed to expectations, add to that a twelve month lay up with a serious injury, Still feel he has something different to offer but needs players around him to keep up & yes he can defend when called upon to tackle back & has caught up with lost causes several times.

He could have a big role to play if we stick with wing backs. Seem to remember him briefly playing a similar role for us some time ago. 

Various comments since Saturday saying that Ducky could come back in for Jeff King, but I'm not convinced he's got enough going forwards for that role (pace especially, but fully acknowledge he could backflip down the line). 

He`ll be great next season.

We hear that every year, sadly. He shows `promise` year on year, but never actually produces. Sometimes, admittedly, the system and other players don`t suit, but more often than not there is no end product, he doesn`t chip in with any goals and for far too many games he would go missing after being fouled.

The club have been more than fair with him during his injury, and I`d ship him out for the rest of the season (if possible) to a club at a reasonable level (Nat North?) both to save some money and to see if he can actually string some games together where he is more than a bit-player. 

At some point the `potential` has to be realised, the club isn`t rich enough to indulge `potential` indefinitely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Angus said:

He`ll be great next season.

We hear that every year, sadly. He shows `promise` year on year, but never actually produces. Sometimes, admittedly, the system and other players don`t suit, but more often than not there is no end product, he doesn`t chip in with any goals and for far too many games he would go missing after being fouled.

The club have been more than fair with him during his injury, and I`d ship him out for the rest of the season (if possible) to a club at a reasonable level (Nat North?) both to save some money and to see if he can actually string some games together where he is more than a bit-player. 

At some point the `potential` has to be realised, the club isn`t rich enough to indulge `potential` indefinitely.

There may be reasons for this but he has hardly had enough game time since he came back to judge his value to the team or club, the one match he had reasonable game time he provided plenty of guilt edged chances that went begging. I failed to see the point in Danny Williams the position & way he was being played, a change of tactics saw a different player, the point being sometimes its not the player but the system.

Admittedly I've only seen him a couple of times this season - Sutton and Woking away - but at Sutton in particular he did stand out as one of the more creative players. I've always been a fan of his, but for one reason or another it just hasn't happened for him yet. On his day he can be fantastic but we've only seen it every once in a while. Maybe one reason people think so fondly of him is because he's 'one of our own' that we've developed through the club. I think there's a good player in there, but we haven't seen the consistency you'd want from a player at this level. Hopefully he can stake a claim for a regular first team place and start playing consistently well with assists and chip in with a few goals. At the moment I feel he's a decent squad player at this level but not really shown enough to be a regular 1st team started in a squad looking for promotion.

8 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Admittedly I've only seen him a couple of times this season - Sutton and Woking away - but at Sutton in particular he did stand out as one of the more creative players. I've always been a fan of his, but for one reason or another it just hasn't happened for him yet. On his day he can be fantastic but we've only seen it every once in a while. Maybe one reason people think so fondly of him is because he's 'one of our own' that we've developed through the club. I think there's a good player in there, but we haven't seen the consistency you'd want from a player at this level. Hopefully he can stake a claim for a regular first team place and start playing consistently well with assists and chip in with a few goals. At the moment I feel he's a decent squad player at this level but not really shown enough to be a regular 1st team started in a squad looking for promotion.

That's really why I think of him as an impact player, we dont get a solid 90mins out of him, but if he can come on for 30ish and change the game I'd be happy. We cant forget either that Josh's game is based on his pace to go around his defender and throw crosses into the box, that's why his best periods were when Dents was with us. Dents loved him because he knew if Josh got the ball then there was a cross coming his way. Top scorer for 2 seasons and quite a few of the assists came from Josh. As we are, he hasn't got a target to aim for. Tobi cant get there and Redshaw would need a ladder. Josh needs to learn to change the final surge, mix it up, cut inside and drive into the box, Redshaw will be a great foil for him.

3 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

That's really why I think of him as an impact player, we dont get a solid 90mins out of him, but if he can come on for 30ish and change the game I'd be happy. We cant forget either that Josh's game is based on his pace to go around his defender and throw crosses into the box, that's why his best periods were when Dents was with us. Dents loved him because he knew if Josh got the ball then there was a cross coming his way. Top scorer for 2 seasons and quite a few of the assists came from Josh. As we are, he hasn't got a target to aim for. Tobi cant get there and Redshaw would need a ladder. Josh needs to learn to change the final surge, mix it up, cut inside and drive into the box, Redshaw will be a great foil for him.

Many of his crosses are hard & low with most of them evading a Town player as we rarely have anyone at the back post, although I have noticed Staunton busting a gut to get there recently unfortunately no J Mac to provide him the cross.

I like Josh as a winger. Alot of players have grown up watching Danny Alves for barcelona and bomb up and down like idiots. Theyve lost the art of truly defending. Gaving josh run at them is another way i think we can shake things up and im all for it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Many of his crosses are hard & low with most of them evading a Town player as we rarely have anyone at the back post, although I have noticed Staunton busting a gut to get there recently unfortunately no J Mac to provide him the cross.

Yeah, I was impressed on Saturday with Staunton getting forward to help out the front guys. I think once McCoulsky  goes back to FGR then there will be a place on the bench which will open up for Josh if he doesn't start. On Wednesday I'd start with the same team that won last Saturday. They all looked good and assuming we've got no injuries then I hope Wild repays those players.