Jim Smith

Flea

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always rember one night against Chester October 1967 Jim burst through with ball and let fly certain goal but then the ball  was coming up the Speedway  track, how could he miss then their goalie a guy called Carling I think lifted the back  of the net up and there was a great big hole his shot had come straight  through the back of the net. My late father would be well upset   y his death Jim Smith   was his all time favourite  Shayman.

R.I.P Jim Smith decent footballer at our level but went on to become a great manager and assistant manager -won more games than he lost at every club he managed 

-probably witnessed every goal he scored at the shay but the only goal i remember him scoring was v Lincoln at the shay a header at the bus garage end

1 hour ago, hunsworthhound said:

Always rember one night against Chester October 1967 Jim burst through with ball and let fly certain goal but then the ball  was coming up the Speedway  track, how could he miss then their goalie a guy called Carling I think lifted the back  of the net up and there was a great big hole his shot had come straight  through the back of the net. My late father would be well upset   y his death Jim Smith   was his all time favourite  Shayman.

Remember Massie doing that. The players showed the ref the hole in the net and he gave the goal.

15 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Nice tribute in Mail for Jim Smith but not a mention over the teams he played for only the teams he managed starting at Boston Utd 1969/1972.

The Times had a good tribute, and mentioned his playing career as well so we got a mention

27 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

No Keeper, Francis ? Shawcross Arthur ? Taylor.

According to Johnny Meynell's old testament full names were Francis David Shawcross & Arthur Matson Taylor. Odd that 'keeper Malcolm White wasn't on the photo as he was already at the club.

8 minutes ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

According to Johnny Meynell's old testament full names were Francis David Shawcross & Arthur Matson Taylor. Odd that 'keeper Malcolm White wasn't on the photo as he was already at the club.

Just looked them up and you are correct, posh names and strange why Malcolm White not in the photo.

23 hours ago, Lester said:

The last time I remember Halifax Town against Jim Smith was in 2006-2007 season when we got a 2-2 in the FA Trophy at Oxford.  Dave Fletcher interviewed him after the match and he said we were a big side and we were launching it.  He was quite correct, Stamp equalised very late on and we beat them 2-1 in the replay.  We went on to lose the quarter final after leading at half time.

Jim Smith left the following November.

He was there in March 2008, probably as a director, with Archie Taylor. I had a quick word with him after the game. Oxford won 3-0.

27 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

My late father always said Jim was worth 10 men and was very upset when Alan Ball snr got rid of him. As well as his goals I remember he always seemed to be there to clear it off the line.  Jim's first game for Town August 1965 was also my first time watching the mighty Shaymen.

Did they call your Dad Jim as well lived on Whinney Hill and used to go down Brighouse Cricket Club ?

On 12/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, hunsworthhound said:

remember it well, was stood on the cinder bank behind that goal

1 hour ago, hunsworthhound said:

Yes they did he died a out 4 years. Always joked I should do him for child cruelty  for taking me there. However his decision  to go there has resulted in seven season ticket holder who wouldn't be there but for him.

Proper Gentleman your Dad was as well. 

Once the Cricket club moved out of the Town centre I never saw him, sad to hear of his passing as well.

RIP 2 Jim’s 

Archived