Flea

Jim Smith

Payed in towns colours early 1960’s. Livid in Manor Heath area of Halifax and always had a smile on his face and willing to have a chat. Great character RIP

Great man. I wrote to him when he managed Derby and asked about his favourite memories of his time with Town. he said the changing room banter with the lads and also the 6-0 win over Bishop Auckland in the cup. I wrote back and reminded him that it was 7-0 and also that he scored that day. RIP Bald Eagle

Hard hitting number 4. Every now and again he would fancy a pot shot at goal. We would invariably watch said shot sail into the bus garage, or hit the floodlights. Went on to be a top,respected,manager. Joining Flower and Hampton in our team in the sky. RIP Jim.

3 minutes ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Great man. I wrote to him when he managed Derby and asked about his favourite memories of his time with Town. he said the changing room banter with the lads and also the 6-0 win over Bishop Auckland in the cup. I wrote back and reminded him that it was 7-0 and also that he scored that day. RIP Bald Eagle

Now that was a cold night 1-1 at BA.

Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

Now that was a cold night 1-1 at BA.

I thought it was 0-0 but it was a long time ago.

RIP Jim.

I’m a bit sad that they only quoted him as having a spell at Halifax. I’m sure it was more than that. He was playing when I started watching in 1966

3 minutes ago, andrich said:

I thought it was 0-0 but it was a long time ago.

RIP Jim.

I’m a bit sad that they only quoted him as having a spell at Halifax. I’m sure it was more than that. He was playing when I started watching in 1966

Sorry you are correct 0-0 don´t no why I put 1-1, we had some fantastic players that season.

RIP to a football legend and a Shayman. 

My grandad lit a fag for him before he came off the subs bench back in the day.... 

I await Chris Wilders endorsement.... Jim Smith was the man who snook his kneck out for Wilder..... Look what happened since then. 

God bless you Jim. Xx

He liked a pint in the three pigs before games, saw him on more than one occasion dash off about 30 mins before kick off. It never seemed to affect him. 

• Like 2

Sad news. First game I went to was the Bishop Auckland FA Cup win and Jim stood out not just because he was follically challenged but because he was as hard as nails and drove the team forward. RIP Bald Eagle.

2 hours ago, shaymen_x said:

Before my time but played 113 times in a town shirt. I've always followed his managerial career because of his connection to us. 

Rest in peace big Jim

Like wise, football's salt of the earth

• Like 1

Another lad who liked a pint was the late Bobby Campbell, town got rid of him because of his bad behaviour but other clubs turned a blind eye and he went on to have a good career.

The last time I remember Halifax Town against Jim Smith was in 2006-2007 season when we got a 2-2 in the FA Trophy at Oxford.  Dave Fletcher interviewed him after the match and he said we were a big side and we were launching it.  He was quite correct, Stamp equalised very late on and we beat them 2-1 in the replay.  We went on to lose the quarter final after leading at half time.

Jim Smith left the following November.