Today’s game v Yeovil

Nick

4 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Freddy Hill & Dave Shawcross and erm, there must be a few more Steve.

Don't think these were signed as long term injured players - they were, in fact, automatic choices for the side until they got injured. Hill broke his toes in Jan 1970, Shawcross faded around the same time with a nervous complaint.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, born to moan said:

All successful football teams over the years have one thing in common, the manager selects what he considers to be his best 11 and sticks with them. Look back to the 70s the great Leeds United team, Revie only changed his 11 if forced to. Liverpool are the same now. Mulhall 97 98 season only changed team if forced to. Wild changes the team every game. Pick the best team play them at Farsley on Tuesday and next Saturday and let them get to know how to play with each other. It's not rocket science it's worked for years.

I totally agree with you, but there will be those who'll tell you that it is a squad game these days, and one man up front is the way forward (on, the irony). Laughable at best. Get your players, play a simple formula (4-4-2 works at every level) but these coaches go on courses and learn about the science of the game, which basically complicates everything for everyone. Mulhall found the players for his system of wing-backs (in his case, 3-5-2) and it worked a treat. Wilder tried it and scrapped it. But managers seem to think they know much more and stick to their guns even when it's not working (it's called being stubborn), but I bet I could send a team out with the players at Wild's disposal and get better results. Sho-Silva is getting a lot of stick, perhaps he needs to be dropped, though has anyone considered that it may be Wild's system that's bringing the team down? 

11 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Don't think these were signed as long term injured players - they were, in fact, automatic choices for the side until they got injured. Hill broke his toes in Jan 1970, Shawcross faded around the same time with a nervous complaint.

Freddy Hill injury was the most innocuous tackle ever, facing the south stand on left wing fb trod on his foot. DS is in my top ten fav players to watch.

2 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

I totally agree with you, but there will be those who'll tell you that it is a squad game these days, and one man up front is the way forward (on, the irony). Laughable at best. Get your players, play a simple formula (4-4-2 works at every level) but these coaches go on courses and learn about the science of the game, which basically complicates everything for everyone. Mulhall found the players for his system of wing-backs (in his case, 3-5-2) and it worked a treat. Wilder tried it and scrapped it. But managers seem to think they know much more and stick to their guns even when it's not working (it's called being stubborn), but I bet I could send a team out with the players at Wild's disposal and get better results. Sho-Silva is getting a lot of stick, perhaps he needs to be dropped, though has anyone considered that it may be Wild's system that's bringing the team down? 

Yes it could be the system, TSS is expected to be hold up player, battering ram & score goals :o He is willing but not capable of all these function's, its easy for other players to hide behind him, chuck the ball at him & my jobs done.

8 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

To me PW has completely lost his way system wise.

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Freddy Hill injury was the most innocuous tackle ever, facing the south stand on left wing fb trod on his foot. DS is in my top ten fav players to watch.

Me too, super footballer, ahead of his time, Cam King with no stamina issues.

11 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

I just want to pick one point up Shaymus (bit like town really). I'm not a lover of the modern squad system, but my friends who purport to support Premier teams tell me it's a necessary evil when you are battling on several fronts for titles & trophies. And a bit of me kind of see's that, however, as BtM says, when Leeds were probably the best team in Europe who never won the European Cup, they used something like 13 players. But that aside, we only have 1 possibly 2 games a week, why is it not possible to play the same team week on week? The players never get the chance to play together as a team for more than one game. Bring back the old system, you name your strongest 11 and if they are fit, they play. 

8 hours ago, Shaymus said:

He started with a 4 4 2 on Saturday. According to the commentator.

Dropping a couple who think they have a Devine right to start every game might have the desired effect for certain individuals and the team. I’m afraid I’d put Tobi and McAlinden in that category at present.   It they are anywhere near fit then start with Mc Coulsky and Redshaw. A bit of a gamble that failed when tried by Aspin against the same opposition in the same competition years back.
But hey hoe.... we MUST WIN on Saturday.  Cam King in for me every time whether he’s 50/60/70 per cent fit or not. Clarke back in, releasing Josh into midfield.

2 minutes ago, thetalktrainer said:

Dropping a couple who think they have a Devine right to start every game might have the desired effect for certain individuals and the team. I’m afraid I’d put Tobi and McAlinden in that category at present.   It they are anywhere near fit then start with Mc Coulsky and Redshaw. A bit of a gamble that failed when tried by Aspin against the same opposition in the same competition years back.
But hey hoe.... we MUST WIN on Saturday.  Cam King in for me every time whether he’s 50/60/70 per cent fit or not. Clarke back in, releasing Josh into midfield.

Dont think we MUST win Saturday as its only the fa trophy, yes abit of money for progressing would be nice but our big game is notts county the week after, we have to get something out of that game but its going to be tough

27 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Dont think we MUST win Saturday as its only the fa trophy, yes abit of money for progressing would be nice but our big game is notts county the week after, we have to get something out of that game but its going to be tough

The big game is Saturday and then concentrate on Notts Co. Wrexham have won back to back games, a performance and win on Saturday is very important. 

14 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Yes it could be the system, TSS is expected to be hold up player, battering ram & score goals :o He is willing but not capable of all these function's, its easy for other players to hide behind him, chuck the ball at him & my jobs done.

Totally agree here, whilst i dont think TSS is the answer the other 3 around him are not doing enough either, they created next to nothing against 10 men and that cant just be the lone strikers fault.

Don't know if I've missed something but can't believe Josh Macdonald wasn't in the squad on Saturday. He is one of only 2 players in the squad who seem capable of running at defenders the other being Jamie Allen. Yes I know they are both right wingers but we have seen many times over the years wingers switching sides (including Macdonald). I dont understand why he was sent out on loan for game time to then not get chance to build once back but Danny Williams for example constantly gets selected on the bench. 

33 minutes ago, fchtnico1 said:

Don't know if I've missed something but can't believe Josh Macdonald wasn't in the squad on Saturday. He is one of only 2 players in the squad who seem capable of running at defenders the other being Jamie Allen. Yes I know they are both right wingers but we have seen many times over the years wingers switching sides (including Macdonald). I dont understand why he was sent out on loan for game time to then not get chance to build once back but Danny Williams for example constantly gets selected on the bench. 

Agree. Jamie and Josh are much more of a threat than Jeff and Danny. Dont think ive seen either of them take on an opposition player 

6 hours ago, fchtnico1 said:

It's another one of those baffling decisions that goes against what everyone else sees and thinks.

I thought the same one Saturday and I wondered if Josh Mac was injured.

41 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Josh Mac, Jamie Allen and Jeff King all offer something, I have yet to see what Danny Williams brings to the party

I don’t think you will get that many that disagree with that comment, Jeff King although the jury’s out with many due to his bookings at times looks like he knows what’s required but others seem to be on a different wave length, particularly Cooper.

1 hour ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Josh Mac, Jamie Allen and Jeff King all offer something, I have yet to see what Danny Williams brings to the party

Whilst i agree with Williams, what has Jeff King done other than getting booked? Has he got a goal or assist? Geniune question

The problem with Danny Williams for me is the same one that can be levelled at Liam Nolan, Jack Earing, Niall Maher, Charlie Cooper and Jeff King.

If the game is not going the way we want and its a case of replacing one of those players for another (so taking one off and bringing one on from the bench), which of those players offers something different in midfield to the other?

Its not a case of saying those players aren't good enough, its just that they don't offer anything different. It feels like Cam King is the only player whom we would put into the centre of midfield that can actually create, so if he isn't playing then we have a midfield that will work hard but is not creating anything. 

Of those 6 players listed there, I think Nolan is the better of the lot, followed by Maher. If we were looking at making changes in the team, I'd be looking at the other 4 players there and questioning if we really need so many similar players and if losing one of them in return of bringing in a different type of player may be wise.

On a personal POV I look at the Cooper signing and I am scratching my head thinking if this was one that in hindsight we would have been better not getting involved in. For me, his passing is poor, his set pieces are just as bad and for a player that was close to signing for a L1 side, I've simply not seen it with him. The only saving grace is that he is only here for another month or so so maybe the club then will use the wages on a different avenue. Its nothing personal against him, however I just feel we don't need to be spending wages on another player like him. 

Archived