Short Contracts

archietaylor7

One worrying aspect of our current situation is the length of our recent signings Redshaw & McCoulsky is that should they prove to be a success and start cracking in some goals we will lose them very quickly once their contracts end. I know theres probably very little a club can do i.e. McCoulsky whose parent club would undoubtedly recall him. But as for Redshaw & McAlinden I'm assuming that we have some kind of first dibs on them??

21 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

One worrying aspect of our current situation is the length of our recent signings Redshaw & McCoulsky is that should they prove to be a success and start cracking in some goals we will lose them very quickly once their contracts end. I know theres probably very little a club can do i.e. McCoulsky whose parent club would undoubtedly recall him. But as for Redshaw & McAlinden I'm assuming that we have some kind of first dibs on them??

Why would we sign a player like Redshaw on a long term contract with his injuries? Best for both parties at the moment. If he hits abit of form hopefully we extend if, if he keeps being injured then he will be off soon

4 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Why would we sign a player like Redshaw on a long term contract with his injuries? Best for both parties at the moment. If he hits abit of form hopefully we extend if, if he keeps being injured then he will be off soon

Never said we should have given him a long contract. Read carefully before you comment. I'm saying it would be hoped we have some kind of first shout on him if he does start A:- Playing & B:- Scoring otherwise it will have been a complete waste of money all round

6 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Never said we should have given him a long contract. Read carefully before you comment. I'm saying it would be hoped we have some kind of first shout on him if he does start A:- Playing & B:- Scoring otherwise it will have been a complete waste of money all round

So what is your point? Any contract length given to any player is a risk 

4 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

So what is your point? Any contract length given to any player is a risk 

I'm asking a question? Does anyone of the great minds who contribute to these threads know if there is anything put in place should you want to retain a player when THE contract ends? First dibs on keeping him or letting him go. Since Redshaw has been here he's played approx 20mins but I'm pretty sure we will have had to pay him as well as get him fit. By the time he's ready to play his contract will be up and he could have found himself another club by then.

I'd be offering deals to both Mcalinden and Redshaw. Redshaw hasn't really played since joining but he's what i'd call a natural goalscorer. Something we don't currently have at the club and his 1 in 2 strikerate at non league level backs that stat up since we are in the business of stats tonight. 

I'm not sure we would or could do better if we let him go. Certainly not in terms of proven before arrival. 

16 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

I'm asking a question? Does anyone of the great minds who contribute to these threads know if there is anything put in place should you want to retain a player when THE contract ends? First dibs on keeping him or letting him go. Since Redshaw has been here he's played approx 20mins but I'm pretty sure we will have had to pay him as well as get him fit. By the time he's ready to play his contract will be up and he could have found himself another club by then.

If he plays and score lots of goals he will go, if he does not get fit he will go, If he plays and is bog average we will prob take a punt on him for next season. Sorry I am a sceptic re  signing long term injured players, looking back over many years I fail to remember one that has worked out and before anyone shouts Browny at me he was not long term injured.

3 minutes ago, Greggs said:

I'd be offering deals to both Mcalinden and Redshaw. Redshaw hasn't really played since joining but he's what i'd call a natural goalscorer. Something we don't currently have at the club and his 1 in 2 strikerate at non league level backs that stat up since we are in the business of stats tonight. 

I'm not sure we would or could do better if we let him go. Certainly not in terms of proven before arrival. 

Agree re McAlinden but the injury with Redshaw is a massive concern, I am not questioning his ability.

a little concerned that we have signed another striker.we now have macalinden,tobi,redshaw and mccoulsky. is this signing because we are not going to see redshaw playing any time soon. hope that this is not the case. i dont mind 4 centre forwards  2 up front and 1 on each wing ( dont reply to this me trying to be sarcastic)

9 minutes ago, oldshayhead said:

a little concerned that we have signed another striker.we now have macalinden,tobi,redshaw and mccoulsky. is this signing because we are not going to see redshaw playing any time soon. hope that this is not the case. i dont mind 4 centre forwards  2 up front and 1 on each wing ( dont reply to this me trying to be sarcastic)

We needed a fresh big man up top (which none of our other options are), we'll have to see if this guy fits the bill or not

The concern I have here is that with McCoulsky coming in (and we needed someone), does that tell us that Redshaw is not fit or going to be getting game time?

He played 20 mins for us at the back end of one game and actually looked really good, but my understand is he then got a further knock in training that has kept him from appearing since. Its rotten luck, but one of those things that happens when someone comes back from a long term injury. 

In the past few games its been quite noticeable the lack of attacking options we have had, especially when it comes to making changes off the bench. 

If we could have both McCoulsky and Redshaw fit and fighting to start then that would be a massive boost. Tobi works hard but is looking more isolated and with his back further to goal as each game goes. If he could get a run of games with someone playing a bit higher up front with him, or even get a rest with us trying something different then it could kick start his season again for us. 

Just to clarify something that was posted on here (I can't recall which thread) last week regarding players on short deals -

Charlie Cooper is only here until the new year, he is not contracted until the end of the season. 

11 minutes ago, Flea said:

Just to clarify something that was posted on here (I can't recall which thread) last week regarding players on short deals -

Charlie Cooper is only here until the new year, he is not contracted until the end of the season. 

Useful squad player to try shore up a gane and play keep ball, not very good tbh. Never known a player not be able to beat the first man at a corner. He is simply incapable of doing so. 

If he left I wouldn't cry. Can't dine out on daddy and grandad forever. 

7 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Useful squad player to try shore up a gane and play keep ball, not very good tbh. Never known a player not be able to beat the first man at a corner. He is simply incapable of doing so. 

If he left I wouldn't cry. Can't dine out on daddy and grandad forever. 

Started well and has slowly become ineffective, caught too often in possession and unaware the opposition are on him, not a defensive midfielder, too small.

Wouldn't be sorry to see Cooper go - though no doubt he does the "things you don't notice" and is the most appreciated by his teammates, or something like that. If he left and freed up the budget for a different striker that would be useful - injuries allowing we have the cover in CM.

Coopers not bad, but I’d prefer an older more experienced head in midfield. I think we’re crying out for one now, but accept they don’t come cheap. .  Obviously Not Collins now,  but someone of that Ilk. Thought we missed out on Craig Clay (now at Orient) when we didn’t choose to take him on a few seasons back. Here’s hoping a like player might become available.

Archived