Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

SKIRCOAT SHED MEMORIES - HERE

One of my first memories was in the Skricoat before the seats. When Town scored everyone would rush forward. As a kid I remember barely being able to see over the wall when at the bottom and when the push forward happened it was a great feeling, I assume almost like surfing a wave, where for a split second you are swept away by a force a lot stronger than you. 

Those toilets however are the thing of nightmares. The smell was bloody horrendous. 

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Rochdale at home was a midweek night 

Been bigger gates .. but skircoat was pure halifax and we won 

Thursday 8th May 1969 

8 hours ago, Flea said:

One of my first memories was in the Skricoat before the seats. When Town scored everyone would rush forward. As a kid I remember barely being able to see over the wall when at the bottom and when the push forward happened it was a great feeling, I assume almost like surfing a wave, where for a split second you are swept away by a force a lot stronger than you. 

Those toilets however are the thing of nightmares. The smell was bloody horrendous. 

Last week at Sutton  the "gents "(enclosed brick wall)  , which had no drainage reminded me of those "golden" years.

15 hours ago, Hoddie said:

That wasn't the tuck shop. It's not there any more. Similar sized cabin to the one you pointed out but it was in the terraced end. My group used to stand just by it, and most people I know from the Shay used to stand in front of it.

Correct,  paddy’s snax  bar was in between the first & second entrances at the top of the skircoat. I used to stand near to it and you could smell the bovril etc,happy days.

• Like 1

the older ones will remember a shop in the top right hand (looking from the pitch} corner of the skircoat a shop that sold oval pork pies (the best ever) and bovril etc 

i had my first pork pie in the skircoat -bought by my dad 

..........also behind the wall  at the back of the skircoat  there are the remains of some steps(or there were) that lead up to skircoat road where there were some turnstiles

.......there is also the tunnel at the far end corner which leads under the skircoat road -used to get in the speedway via this tunnel

......when the concrete was being relayed for the seats i popped down after tea to have a nosy -the concrete was still wettish so i wrote my initials and the year in

the concrete

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

Correct,  paddy’s snax  bar was in between the first & second entrances at the top of the skircoat. I used to stand near to it and you could smell the bovril etc,happy days.

Between second and third wasn't it? 

The last time i can remember using the old turnstiles off Huddersfield road was for the league cup match against Tottenham Hotspurs .think it was 1984.No lighting,some of the steps were worn  always thought there was an accident waiting to happen.

Digressing a bit can anyone remember the wooden hut on the opposite side,selling sweets,pop etc?

Also used to be a young lad walking round on what later was the speedway track selling kids sweets.

1 minute ago, AGB said:

Digressing a bit can anyone remember the wooden hut on the opposite side,selling sweets,pop etc?

Also used to be a young lad walking round on what later was the speedway track selling kids sweets.

Yes and the terracing before the concrete in the north stand.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Thursday I think ? 

B6DD8F01-A956-49AB-B02B-0FCB30240C21.jpeg

Apologies you are correct, forget we played 4 games in 9 days. Monday we were away at York where referee collapsed and died

new it was midweek cos i remember going to school the next day with a massive smile on my face-  i was one of a very few town fans -everyone was huddersfield or leeds "fans"-with a few man u

1 hour ago, park drive stand said:

new it was midweek cos i remember going to school the next day with a massive smile on my face-  i was one of a very few town fans -everyone was huddersfield or leeds "fans"-with a few man u

Same here 

my first full season as a 9/10 year old 

thought this was going to be the norm ... 

17 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

Was the Stoke FA Cup game before? 23,000 at that if I remember.

8.5.69 Rochdale

Played Stoke replay  28.1.69.

I'll never believe that attendance figure of 23k as you could not move anywhere. I reckon there was over 30k that night.

I arrived about 15 minutes before kick off as I had been working in Manchester and everybody was already inside. I had to stand at the back of the North stand end as it was impossible to squeeze into the crowd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, park drive stand said:

the older ones will remember a shop in the top right hand (looking from the pitch} corner of the skircoat a shop that sold oval pork pies (the best ever) and bovril etc 

i had my first pork pie in the skircoat -bought by my dad 

..........also behind the wall  at the back of the skircoat  there are the remains of some steps(or there were) that lead up to skircoat road where there were some turnstiles

.......there is also the tunnel at the far end corner which leads under the skircoat road -used to get in the speedway via this tunnel

......when the concrete was being relayed for the seats i popped down after tea to have a nosy -the concrete was still wettish so i wrote my initials and the year in

the concrete

Could those pies have been George’s  halts ( southowram )  the oval ones were pork the round ones beef , the best pork pies ever. I also remember the turn style  ( skircoat rd ) & the tunnel. 

5 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

Mmm, I could swear it was between 1st & 2nd anybody got any photos ? .

I'm pretty sure because I used to enter by the second door and stand by the hatch facing into the skircoat. It had a little concrete step with a wall that was just the right height for me to lean on, me being a short arse. On the odd occasion when I went through the first door, through not paying attention or whatever, there was always a sense of being very lost :)

I'd love to see pictures though. 

2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I'm pretty sure because I used to enter by the second door and stand by the hatch facing into the skircoat. It had a little concrete step with a wall that was just the right height for me to lean on, me being a short arse. On the odd occasion when I went through the first door, through not paying attention or whatever, there was always a sense of being very lost :)

I'd love to see pictures though. 

It’s funny how a few of us remember the same thing differently, I always entered the skircoat at the first opening and I can almost see in my mind the snack bar there to my right, but not sure now I’m sure someone must have some photos, I used to love it in that shed when it was heaving.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flea said:

Which match did the front wall give way at. Yes the toilets were pretty much  pure stale beer smelling but it did create a quick throughput of clients.