Sign in to follow this  
lsm

Relatives of former players

Hello everyone,

Firstly, its great to see you almost at the top of the pile in the Conference, I really want you to get back to where you belong. It seems that Pete Wild has been a good appointment and hopefully he can sustain it.

I am trying to get in touch with any relatives of former Halifax players that also played for my club Huddersfield Town. Some of the players who's relatives I am trying to contact are;

• Billy Smith & Conway Smith
  • Don McEvoy
  • Willie Watson
  • Ernie Dixon
  • Lewis Brook
  • Gilbert Christie
  • Sedley Cooper
  • George Crowther
  • George Green
  • Ellis Hall
  • Donald Hunter
  • George Hutchinson
  • Harry Linley
  • Harry Mills
  • Charlie Milnes
  • Sammy Taylor
  • Alf Whittingham
  • Ted Widdowfield

Can anyone help at all? Or does anyone know any living players that played for both clubs?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

L

53 minutes ago, lsm said:

Do you know him?

I spoke to a relative of his e couple of years ago. Les now has advanced dementia and no longer remembers his time as a footballer, sadly.

Just now, Lammie said:

I spoke to a relative of his e couple of years ago. Les now has advanced dementia and no longer remembers his time as a footballer, sadly.

That is sad, yet another footballer of that era with that ghastly disease / condition. 

He was way before my time but I've heard so many stories from my father about the night he scored v Rochdale to win promotion. Looked up his career and he was some player. 

10 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

That is sad, yet another footballer of that era with that ghastly disease / condition. 

He was way before my time but I've heard so many stories from my father about the night he scored v Rochdale to win promotion. Looked up his career and he was some player. 

He was a real goal poacher but could score from anywhere. I spoke to him in The Weavers a few years ago and asked him about the goal against Rochdale. It was a long ball from the half way line from Phil McCarthy and Les said his plan was to wait for it to drop and volley it. It didn’t come down so at the last minute he changed tack and headed it. A goal many of us will never forget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Oh christ, that's no good. I actually spoke to him about 5 years ago outside a Huddersfield game and he seemed very well. Its a shame how it seems to be affecting so many ex footballers now.

7 hours ago, lsm said:

Hello everyone,

Firstly, its great to see you almost at the top of the pile in the Conference, I really want you to get back to where you belong. It seems that Pete Wild has been a good appointment and hopefully he can sustain it.

I am trying to get in touch with any relatives of former Halifax players that also played for my club Huddersfield Town. Some of the players who's relatives I am trying to contact are;

• Billy Smith & Conway Smith
  • Don McEvoy
  • Willie Watson
  • Ernie Dixon
  • Lewis Brook
  • Gilbert Christie
  • Sedley Cooper
  • George Crowther
  • George Green
  • Ellis Hall
  • Donald Hunter
  • George Hutchinson
  • Harry Linley
  • Harry Mills
  • Charlie Milnes
  • Sammy Taylor
  • Alf Whittingham
  • Ted Widdowfield

Can anyone help at all? Or does anyone know any living players that played for both clubs?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

L

Don McEvoy's son walks his dog around Lane Head in Brighouse daily. Lewis Brook's wife lived at Southowram but died a few years ago; her family may still reside locally. Some of those players had no real attachment to the area. Harry Mills was from the north east and returned there after his Town career was over. Gilbert Christie became a police officer in Todmorden, pre-first World War, mind.

18 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Don McEvoy's son walks his dog around Lane Head in Brighouse daily. Lewis Brook's wife lived at Southowram but died a few years ago; her family may still reside locally. Some of those players had no real attachment to the area. Harry Mills was from the north east and returned there after his Town career was over. Gilbert Christie became a police officer in Todmorden, pre-first World War, mind.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, what's Don's son called? I'll be able to track him down if I've got a name!

Steve Smith born 1946 played for both clubs before going on to scout & Manage Huddersfield. Sadly now has dementia, last known to live in Dalton, Huddersfield

• Like 1