Sign in to follow this  
oldskir

Should the BOD invest to win promotion?

I think they should.

We are top of the League now, the National League is relatively weak this year with no real outstanding team. I don't think we will ever have a better chance of winning promotion. The promised land of the Football League and the £1m tv money is within reach.

But most supporters can see we need to strenghthen, we need a decent striker and another creative midfielder. So players need to come in. I'm thinking on loan for now.

I was gutted when I saw that Devante Rodney was available for loan, but had gone to Stockport. He is just the sort of player we need.

The team needs an injection of fresh players, or I'm afraid we will soon start slipping down the League.

We certainly need to strengthen if we are wanting to stay anywhere near the play offs. 

Certianly need to improve in the striker department  and I still say 2 players need to depart and 2/3 need bringing in now people might say they won’t want to upset the dressing room but we have a real good chance of promotion so we need to have a real good go at in but yes we certainly do need to strengthen and that’s clear to see

Should certainly be looking to strengthen the obvious weak areas-that should always be an ongoing situation.

Problem being however much we spend guarentees nothing and budgets will always prevail with DB like they did when we did nothing to help Aspin

at the back end of the Cambridge playoff season.

11 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

We certainly need to strengthen if we are wanting to stay anywhere near the play offs. 

Certianly need to improve in the striker department  and I still say 2 players need to depart and 2/3 need bringing in now people might say they won’t want to upset the dressing room but we have a real good chance of promotion so we need to have a real good go at in but yes we certainly do need to strengthen and that’s clear to see

Who would you allow to leave ? 

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Southwell certainly and then Nolan. 

Think we could do better than them both. 

Edited by TJAshton

1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

both contracted till end of season; so if nobody comes in for them we would have to pay them off.

4 minutes ago, chadders said:

both contracted till end of season; so if nobody comes in for them we would have to pay them off.

Indeed. I’m sure if we transfer listed them someone from the Conf North would want them 

Edited by TJAshton

13 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I thought Southwell might be one, thought Williams or maybe binman would be the other 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I thought Southwell might be one, thought Williams or maybe binman would be the other 

Williams you can also add to the list. 

Binnom has actually been improving he’s every hit and miss but Certainly Southwell can go for me wasn’t good enough last season and won’t be this season, Nolan and Williams. 

Striker is urgently needed and it’s so obvious to see. Yes we are top of the league but if nothing changes we will certainly Start dropping which some might say is expected but this is our chance to get play offs. 

28 minutes ago, Norm said:

Southwell definitely, he's had plenty of time to prove himself and fallen well short. Danny Williams, doesnt look to be good enough at this level. Nolan, I'm undecided. To be fair to him he's been decent more often than not hence being a regular starter in a team sitting on top of the league. And my other usual one, and again no reflection on the lad because we've never seen him play, Will Appleyard. I have stated my case previously and nothing changes my mind. A goalkeeper can be brought in at very short notice on loan should anything happen to Sam but in my opinion it's money sat on a bench week after week that could be better used elsewhere. I also think Hanson should be given an opportunity or released. He was our star man week on week last season until we signed him. Either use him or let him go.

Edited by archietaylor7

1 minute ago, archietaylor7 said:

Southwell definitely, he's had plenty of time to prove himself and fallen well short. Danny Williams, doesnt look to be good enough at this level. Nolan, I'm undecided. To be fair to him he's been decent more often than not hence being a regular starter in a team sitting on top of the league. And my other usual one, and again no reflection on the lad because we've never seen him play, Will Appleyard. I have stated my case previously and nothing changes my mind. A goalkeeper can be brought in at very short notice on loan should anything happen to Sam but in my opinion it's money sat on a bench week after week that could be better used elsewhere.

Possibly with you on the keeper. The u19s play midweek so no reason why he couldn't do bench duty.

The counter argumentof course is that it limits your opinions to bring in a young keeper to develop and if Sam leaves in January you're starting again.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Possibly with you on the keeper. The u19s play midweek so no reason why he couldn't do bench duty.

The counter argumentof course is that it limits your opinions to bring in a young keeper to develop and if Sam leaves in January you're starting again.

The way of the world Norm!! If Sam were to leave, and I dont think he will because good as he is he is weak on certain things and I'm not sure a bigger club would be prepared to chance him. There are loads of really good players out there looking for clubs, sometimes you have to take a chance. I thought Steve Drench was a good keeper but Sam came straight into our team and we didn't see Drench again. Sam had only played a handful of 1st team games at Port Vale and possibly out on loan.

Watching the live FA Cup draw the other night reference was made to one of the non league teams who are flying a couple of levels below us, the reason they are going so well is that they have a striker who has already scored in excess of 40 goals this season and he missed the first 5 games because he couldn't get a club to employ him?? Now there must be loads of teams with their eyes on him but he is certainly a lad worth taking a chance on, he obviously just has a nose for goal. We should be chasing players like him. When we played Darlington Pre-Season they had a young lad on trial that day, wore the No7 shirt and he was bloody superb. He absolutely skinned our defence time after time, he was way to good for Darlington, he should now be in our squad. There are literally hundreds of lads out there, give some of them a break.

• Like 1

I think theBOD should back PW, but only if he wants to bring players in. They must also be the right sort of players. A lot has been said about Stockport signing 2 Salford players. You have to ask yourself two questions. Firstly are they the right sort of players who will not disrupt the dressing room? Stockport have also signed Adam Hamill on loan from Scunthorpe till January. He was let go because of his bad attitude and disruptive influence on the team. He was incredible at Barnsley, during both his stints but they saw his flaws and let him go before he ended up at St Mirren and then Scunnie. Secondly can Stockport afford them? They have nearly gone bust several times. Getting players in on loan is always a gamble but at least a club does not get stuck with them if things don't work out. 

A loan signing to cover Brown and another striker would be on my wish list but not at any cost. Longer term it could be better striking up a relationship with a local Div1 or Championship team so they can get some of their youth players or players coming back from injury playing 'mens' football in the National league rather than reserve team football. Has anyone been in contact with Chrissie Wilder at Sheff Utd?

1 hour ago, Jmc said:

We have an element that assume if we sign someone on good wages then the rest of the team will down tools 

If you listen to the manager on the shaycast he explains the situation regarding signings really well 

Strengthen yes but stay within the budget, or a managed loss designated by the chairman.

Other than that then no because it guarantees you nothing on the pitch.

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Like 1

This gamble worked when we were relegated. However if it backfires then it could cause immense damage to the club.

There is no guarantee that additional funds would mean better players would be recruited. Even if better players were recruited then that may not correlate into results if it upsets the dressing room.

We currently have the players who got us into top spot. It is their change in form , style that has changed not their ability. It’s upto PW to get the players playing to their strengths and to play the style of football that got those early results.

Win at Bromley and everyone will forget this thread.

Pick a formation that works, play people in their correct positions and get them working hard and being creative. We have demonstrated we have goals throughout the team. Just need to get back to believing in ourselves again.

• Like 3

I was thinking to myself that I wouldn't worry to much about disrupting the dressing room if a player I wanted became available. It would be he's here, he's playing, take it or get yourself off? But then I just remembered the situation that we had last season when a certain player was brought in. In my opinion it divided not only the dressing room but the supporters, it effectively split the club right down the middle. It was no coincidence that our fall started when he arrived and we picked up slightly when he left. So based on that fact alone I've changed my mind and would agree that the right players have to be bought.