Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Derbyshayman

We are not Barcelona

Can't understand why managers at this level think they can play weird formations and expect the team to perform!!. I'm sure I heard Wild say in an interview that he doesn''t worry about the opposition, just plays to our strengths. So why are we playing different styles every week? Our strength is not in having star players who can switch it on wherever you play them. Our strength (it seems to me) is that we play well as a united  force where players play where they are best suited and we use our overall collective abilities. Can we please revert to and stick with a 4 4 2 formation with quick wingers and two in the box. We should play that week in week out so it is second nature to the team. Let's play to OUR strengths and as Peter Wild says - not worry about what the opposition are going to do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Not much wrong with todays formation other than we looked fully uncomfortable with it 

We were all over the place, if we started with a formation we certainly did not finish with one.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

We were all over the place, if we started with a formation we certainly did not finish with one.

Formation changed with our substitutions . Nolan and Southwell were not good enough for the system and JBW looked vulnerable . Duckworth had a poor game, should have moved into midfield with Hanson at right back and Allen at the head of the diamond with LMcA up front .

2 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Formation changed with our substitutions . Nolan and Southwell were not good enough for the system and JBW looked vulnerable . Duckworth had a poor game, should have moved into midfield with Hanson at right back and Allen at the head of the diamond with LMcA up front .

Allen should be on the right where he exelled when we were winning games. Sadly McAlinden wastes too much time out there now for whatever reason.

16 minutes ago, Derbyshayman said:

Can't understand why managers at this level think they can play weird formations and expect the team to perform!!. I'm sure I heard Wild say in an interview that he doesn''t worry about the opposition, just plays to our strengths. So why are we playing different styles every week? Our strength is not in having star players who can switch it on wherever you play them. Our strength (it seems to me) is that we play well as a united  force where players play where they are best suited and we use our overall collective abilities. Can we please revert to and stick with a 4 4 2 formation with quick wingers and two in the box. We should play that week in week out so it is second nature to the team. Let's play to OUR strengths and as Peter Wild says - not worry about what the opposition are going to do

We've played 4-2-3-1 most of the season and are top of the league. and his words were we will play this system and not worry about the opposition. Yet you want us to go to four four fu*king two. We lost with that formation today btw!!!

I didn't go to the game today and I'm not showing blind faith or loyalty, but we are punching above our weight to start with and we've had a great start. 

I shall not cry or throw a paddy. Like I say, punching above our weight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaymen0 said:

We've played 4-2-3-1 most of the season and are top of the league. and his words were we will play this system and not worry about the opposition. Yet you want us to go to four four fu*king two. We lost with that formation today btw!!!

Theres more than one way to play a 442. A diamond doesn't allow width barring your wing backs. A bogstandard 442 allows width. 

Just now, Icke's Lizard said:

I didn't go to the game today and I'm not showing blind faith or loyalty, but we are punching above our weight to start with and we've had a great start. 

I shall not cry or throw a paddy. Like I say, punching above our weight. 

Harrogate, above our weight. FFS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

We are a bigger club, we are bigger than some football league clubs. 

Im talking about having a settled pre-season, having more brass than us. They've got some decent players compared to us. 

I don't want to lose to Harrogate ffs, but we've had 2 $hite seasons previous and we're getting back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Theres more than one way to play a 442. A diamond doesn't allow width barring your wing backs. A bogstandard 442 allows width. 

If your players are better than there's! I think overall there players are better than ours.

When I saw the team, I had guessed that we were playing 3 at the back with wingbacks and 2 up front. Or was it to be 433? Apparently not, but didn’t manage to work it out.

Wow I miss the performances against Chesterfield and fylde. 

Having Allen and Macalinden bombing down one wing with Cameron king pulling the strings in behind Sho Silva and actually running at defences. 

This has all changed now other teams might play defensive but good teams work out how to beat them 

19 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Outplayed all game. Ground like a library save for their fans who made noise for the whole 90 minutes. Not an inaccurate statement based on today’s game. Two tough away games before Torquay at home. We need to turn things round quick. The last two seasons have seen us drop like a stone from the top of the league. I really hope that we aren’t going there again.

The league we are in is a much of a muchness in that anybody can beat anybody and the teams who grind a few results out will find themselves near the top end of the table. The reality is, we are not that great but we have been able to grind some results out thus far this season. We are well and truly punching above our station and as fans we need to realise that. I’m disappointed we didn’t make it to the first round proper today, and yes we were poor, but Harrogate have deep deep pockets and their fans can’t be happy with what they’re serving up so far! We have a good manager, lower the expectations a bit and appreciate we as a club can not financially compete with most at our level. 

51 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

We are a bigger club, we are bigger than some football league clubs. 

Im talking about having a settled pre-season, having more brass than us. They've got some decent players compared to us. 

I don't want to lose to Harrogate ffs, but we've had 2 $hite seasons previous and we're getting back. 

Most of their starting 11 are good srandard National League North players

3 minutes ago, Statto said:

The league we are in is a much of a muchness in that anybody can beat anybody and the teams who grind a few results out will find themselves near the top end of the table. The reality is, we are not that great but we have been able to grind some results out thus far this season. We are well and truly punching above our station and as fans we need to realise that. I’m disappointed we didn’t make it to the first round proper today, and yes we were poor, but Harrogate have deep deep pockets and their fans can’t be happy with what they’re serving up so far! We have a good manager, lower the expectations a bit and appreciate we as a club can not financially compete with most at our level. 

Based on What ?

1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

Wow I miss the performances against Chesterfield and fylde. 

Having Allen and Macalinden bombing down one wing with Cameron king pulling the strings in behind Sho Silva and actually running at defences. 

This has all changed now other teams might play defensive but good teams work out how to beat them 

Think injuries have stopped us from playing the 4 players you have mentioned

I cant say I've ever heard of a 4-1-2-1-2. But it definitely didn't work today. Lets not beat around the bush here, Sho Silva was completely absent from the game, McAlinden has lost the golden touch and I'm not even prepared to comment on Southwell, I've been very hard on him previously and due to him only just coming back from injury I've not commented on his performances of late. But I hope those who shot down all my threads relating to him over the past twelve months, even though I backed them up with facts, are now prepared to admit that I was right all along. He is simply not good enough for this level of football. In a poor all round display, sadly he was in my opinion the poorest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1