Sign in to follow this  
Erik Everhard

What's Been Missing?

I'm not sure how we can use the wings more apart from extending the touchline another 5 yards. Binom Williams, King, Duckworth, MacAllinden have all got plenty of chalk on their boots the last few games trying to make the pitch as wide as possible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Don't see many people suggesting we just wack it forward although used occasionally this is a viable option, think most people are concerned we don't use the wings enough or cross meaningful balls into the goalmouth.

When your striker is shorter than the centre halves how is it viable. How does Tobi win the headers? 

Also you literally have very little control over a header all your looking to do is flick it onto the 2nd striker.... Oh wait. So he'd just be flicking it onto the goalkeeper then. 

I'd rather we just carried on doing what we are doing and work out the kinks in that. Than resort back to long ball. 

Generally the emotion around town fans is pretty understandable. We are desperate because this season there is a serious chance we could be promoted. Why should we not be able to sustain our league position based on what we've seen so far? And at this nervy stage after a scoring glut at home which have been compensated for by two gutsy away wins, we don't know how we'll get around the problem that teams have worked out ways of getting points off us.

Again, given a couple of days to cool off after two disappointing home games, the hope is there, which is great. But rather than making us cheerful it's making us anxious as hell as any dropped points are perceived as potentially that little thing that could cost us the title- yes, the actual title! 

• Like 1

Another way to look at it people, we in a poor run of form and we are still top! Imagine where we might be when we start playing well again?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

When your striker is shorter than the centre halves how is it viable. How does Tobi win the headers? 

Also you literally have very little control over a header all your looking to do is flick it onto the 2nd striker.... Oh wait. So he'd just be flicking it onto the goalkeeper then. 

I'd rather we just carried on doing what we are doing and work out the kinks in that. Than resort back to long ball. 

Crosses don't all have to be head or above height other options are available;)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Crosses don't all have to be head or above height other options are available;)

One of the finest sights in football is a wide player charging forward and playing the ball down the corridor of uncertainty. It puts the fear of God into defences. 

3 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

One of the finest sights in football is a wide player charging forward and playing the ball down the corridor of uncertainty. It puts the fear of God into defences. 

This creates ¨blind pressure¨.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

To make this goal profitable we also need more than one. forward in the goal area

30 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

To make this goal profitable we also need more than one. forward in the goal area.

True. McAlinden can't deliver the ball to himself. Or can he?

5 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

True. McAlinden can't deliver the ball to himself. Or can he?

He needs to be on the end of crosses, not trying to send them over.

3 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

Generally the emotion around town fans is pretty understandable. We are desperate because this season there is a serious chance we could be promoted. Why should we not be able to sustain our league position based on what we've seen so far? And at this nervy stage after a scoring glut at home which have been compensated for by two gutsy away wins, we don't know how we'll get around the problem that teams have worked out ways of getting points off us.

Again, given a couple of days to cool off after two disappointing home games, the hope is there, which is great. But rather than making us cheerful it's making us anxious as hell as any dropped points are perceived as potentially that little thing that could cost us the title- yes, the actual title! 

Every team at our level will have some drop off in form, hopefully this is ours & Pete can rectify the issue. I believe he can & we will return to attacking football with more wins as the end result.

On a separate note, I was very surprised at how poor our set pieces were, especially corners. They rarely got past the 1st man & when they did it went straight down the Goalies throat. I would try a few different players having a try & the odd short one as that to Binnom Williams a couple of weeks ago.

With the present style of play we need more movement off the ball and players making themselves more available to receive a pass from the player in possession and not hiding.

Also more pressure on the opposition when they are in possession by moving further up the pitch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

With the present style of play we need more movement off the ball and players making themselves more available to receive a pass from the player in possession and not hiding.

Also more pressure on the opposition when they are in possession by moving further up the pitch.

I hope the manager and players have a good heart to heart chat this week and get stuck into training, and sort out what's not going right.

Let's get at Harrogate and get into that first round.

20 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

He needs to be on the end of crosses, not trying to send them over.

Catch 22! No one else can deliver a ball like him I fear and no one else has the same standard of finish. 

5 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Catch 22! No one else can deliver a ball like him I fear and no one else has the same standard of finish. 

You were not watching then, deliver a ball? He can score but can he  deliver balls anyone else can score from? Not from what I have seen.

3 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

You were not watching then, deliver a ball? He can score but can he  deliver balls anyone else can score from? Not from what I have seen.

Did you not see the ball to CK for his first goal at Dover for one! His crossing and passing rate is second to non, I did some research when we first signed him looked on a few other forums ect , his assist rate is very impressive .

Has anything really been missing or are we expecting to just win every game at the moment?

Lets look at both of the last home games -

Chorley - They came with even less intent to attack than a team set up by JF. They were happy to take a 0-0 all day and it was always going to be a case of if we could break them down, rather than if they would beat us. We could still be playing now and I doubt they would have had a proper attempt at goal yet. The disappointing thing was setting up with TSS and C.King on the bench, meaning if we failed to get the early goal (which we did) it would be harder to get into the game as they time wasted more and more. 

Boreham Wood - They did us on two set pieces. They are a good team when it comes to set plays and their front line moves very well. Other than the two goals however we limited them pretty well. I certainly don't think our way of pressing or playing the ball was wrong - we were trying to do the right thing, however the final ball just wasn't on point, it was often a pass too many and it just broke down. Jeff King smashes the post and it goes out, where on another day when we are already 3 up it probably goes into the net.

What I do feel from those two games, and without wanting to be overly critical as I appreciate he has been out a LONG time, is that Southwell wasn't up to speed with the one two tippy tappy passing football we seem to go for in the final third. Not faulting his work rate, however his footwork wasn't as sharp as those that have played up front this season. WIth 20 to go of the Boreham game I hoped when he came on it was "his time" to show something, however he pretty much became anonymous in the game. 

I do feel we have a very good foundation however and the style of play we have been subjected to this season is good. There are times however when it just doesn't come off. I also feel we are probably carrying a few players whom if PW had a full summer in charge would have moved on. Thats not to say they are no good or bad players, however are more not suited to the style we are playing. If PW gets a full summer to bring in his players and put his stamp on things fully, then I can see his ideas, which on the whole look good, bring home better results.

We need a few minor tweaks at the moment, rather than huge changes in my opinion. The last few home games have been difficult and we haven't scored many in those games, however I do feel the set up and the way we are playing isn't bad. Oddly the FA Cup may come at the right time. I want us to progress in this, however its also a good time to have a game that won't hurt our league standing if it goes wrong. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buddy said:

Did you not see the ball to CK for his first goal at Dover for one! His crossing and passing rate is second to non, I did some research when we first signed him looked on a few other forums ect , his assist rate is very impressive .

That can be described as nothing but an individual effort from CK. It was a pass from McAlinden, maybe  still an assist. only because he was the last of his team mates to touch it  It wasn't what anyone would describe as a cross from the wing. A pass is nothing unusual, it happens all the time.

Not a big fan of the 'isolated' front three, if that's going to be the system I'd like to see much more fluidity with the wide men cutting in at times, stretching it wide at times and going for the by-line at times (I can see we are trying to do this but lacking conviction)  . You're number 10 also needs to turn up for 90 minutes and at some point you need to be flooding the box with players . 

Mmmmm! We will have to beg to differ on that one, My self and friends have been paying perticular  attention to LMc he gets very little wrong in a game , perhaps could do with being a little stronger at times but he has a great left foot an eye for goal, excellent pass rate  , has pace ,works his socks off and clever. Shaytrev

Edited by Buddy

31 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Mmmmm! We will have to beg to differ on that one, My self and friends have been paying perticular  attention to LMc he gets very little wrong in a game , perhaps could do with being a little stronger at times but he has a great left foot an eye for goal, excellent pass rate  , has pace ,works his socks off and clever. Shaytrev

He should be up front and not out wide.