Sign in to follow this  
Hoddie

All hail JF's contributions to this season

Think in one of Pete Wilds early media interviews he said he had been asked if he wanted to be Assistant Manager and then days later heard that JF had resigned so threw his hat into the ring for the Managers job.

So if you are trying to attribute the success this season down to the managerial change then it looks like he even set up his successor (maybe not intentionally). 

Wild plays the same formation as JF but has given the players more freedom or encouragement in the last third. To me the difference is all in the last third of the field compared to last season. Replacing Kossy with players who are interested and signing McAlinden a big factor for Wild.

Early days yet for Wild, having a good run of form and results. Every team has a bad spell of luck and we will have to see how well that is managed. JF’s loan signings were crucial to turning it round both after taking over from Heath and after his own slump. Wild has a broader based squad than either Heath or JF so might be better placed. The squad was partly signed by Wild and by JF and previous managers, however Wild did not have to radically alter the squad he inherited so some credit must go to JFs recruitment.  Wild did improve it and has used it well.

• Like 2

I'm told Scot was Jamie's brother, don't know if that's true. Fullarton left in funny circumstances, this rumour Wild was coming to be his assistant true or not?Will we ever know?

13 minutes ago, born to moan said:

I'm told Scot was Jamie's brother, don't know if that's true. Fullarton left in funny circumstances, this rumour Wild was coming to be his assistant true or not?Will we ever know?

Not a rumour, Wild said it himself.

Unable to say I was looking forward to this season under JF but it is a fact he signed some useful players. Equally I also thought who the hell is Pete Wild....now I know:D

• Like 3

No time for Fullarton , did give him the benefit of the doubt last season and hoped a full season under his belt would see an improvement this season .

To walk away 3 weeks before the start of the season was an absolute disgrace , don't care who he brought in , don't care why he left , I had no time for Billy Heath , it was clear he was out of his depth , he admitted it afterwards but he stuck at it so deserves respect for that , Fullarton had no regard for anyone at the club , the board , the players and the fans .

It's worked out ok but to leave so close to the start of season is bordering on nasty and it's as if he hung on as long as he could just to drop the club in it .

Whatever his problem was, his behaviour was shocking and he deserves no credit for us being top of the league .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, monk said:

No time for Fullarton , did give him the benefit of the doubt last season and hoped a full season under his belt would see an improvement this season .

To walk away 3 weeks before the start of the season was an absolute disgrace , don't care who he brought in , don't care why he left , I had no time for Billy Heath , it was clear he was out of his depth , he admitted it afterwards but he stuck at it so deserves respect for that , Fullarton had no regard for anyone at the club , the board , the players and the fans .

It's worked out ok but to leave so close to the start of season is bordering on nasty and it's as if he hung on as long as he could just to drop the club in it .

Whatever his problem was, his behaviour was shocking and he deserves no credit for us being top of the league .

Could there be other reasons than a desire to drop the club in it? It seems an odd motivation as he hasn’t moved onto something better or anything at all. Surely you don’t leave a well paid job because you wake up one morning feeling “nasty” as you put it.

One rumour on here and elsewhere was that JF had introduced to MrB someone willing to invest serious money into the club, Mr B resisted and within days JF had resigned. Will we ever know how much of the “investor rumour” was true, nor what happened between JF and Mr B and the actual reasons for his resignation. Mr B never seemed particularly upset at losing his Manager with days to go before the start of the season.

10 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

Stating that we are overacheiving is in essence believing that we weren't good enough to compete from the outset!

In my opinion, that's not really the attitude to take when purporting to support the team as you do!

I didn’t say we weren’t good enough. But in comparison to the other teams in this league we have a small budget. We get smaller crowds than other teams. And we had a total nightmare of a pre season. So yes yes yes we are over achieving 

You can never over achieve when the sole intention of every club should be to win the league . May I suggest that 23 teams will always be under achieving and we are usually in that category

8 hours ago, born to moan said:

I have asked a few close to the club about what happened with JF and nobody has ever really answered. Only word was that he had lost dressing room and the players cheered the moment they knew he was gone.

38 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

You can never over achieve when the sole intention of every club should be to win the league . May I suggest that 23 teams will always be under achieving and we are usually in that category

And now we know why Bollox is your username 

• Like 1

If anybody seriously believes that every teams  target is to win the league then you are insane. If you can sit there and tell me that Norwich’s aim this season is to win the league then I cannot take you seriously. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, francisfirth said:

I have asked a few close to the club about what happened with JF and nobody has ever really answered. Only word was that he had lost dressing room and the players cheered the moment they knew he was gone.

That could be right

to be fair he came across as completely dour, and spoke in riddles during interviews 

if he was like that in the dressing room then I could see why the players wanted a change

He did bring some decent players in, he just didn’t know how to manage

PW inherited a good bunch of players that needed some man management, reassurance and freedom to express 

• Like 1

Some credit is due to JF, he took over from Heath and kept us in the division when it didn't look good. He signed Cam King and Nathan Clarke. I'm not sure which of this season's signings are his and which are Wilds. Perhaps someone can tell me. Jamie Allen looks a good signing as does Nolan. Our football last year wasn't good to watch but we easily stayed up. The man deserves some credit.

Needs credit for leaving us 2 weeks before the start of the season and giving us a season we can enjoy watching with a smile on our faces as we head back into the league, missing you already Jamie.

I heard a few rumours that were different to the ones in this thread, but don't contradict them exactly.

Perhaps if the players were glad to see him move on, that opened a release valve in the way they play. They turned as a side from being good at the back, to good all across the pitch.

But you get plenty of instances when a team play with more fight and freedom when a manager leaves. Few of those last two months though. Let's keep it up.

Weren't Sam Johnson, Matty Brown and Michael Duckworth initially signed by Neil Aspin?

11 minutes ago, Ash said:

Weren't Sam Johnson, Matty Brown and Michael Duckworth initially signed by Neil Aspin?

Brown was, Sam was Harvey on loan and I think Ducky was Heath.

I thought Aspin signed Sam on loan first, then took him to Gateshead with him?

Duckworth also by Aspin but Ducky wanted to keep his options open for a FL team. Next season he might have one!

Although some players were signed by other managers etc we cannot compare the boring football of Fullerton and this season.

There is only one person to credit for this season and that is Pete Wild. His refreshing communication, attitude and management style since the day he walked in has been a breath of fresh air and we all hope and dream he can do what the likes of Chris WIlder, Neil Aspin, Billy Heath and Jamie Fullerton couldn't do in their full seasons in charge at this level.

But there is still a long way to go.

23 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Brown was, Sam was Harvey on loan and I think Ducky was Heath.

NA- Matty brown july 2015 NA left Sept

JH- Sam on loan 26 Nov   JH took over 19 nov

BH- Ducky 5 aug 2017

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

NA- Matty brown july 2015 NA left Sept

JH- Sam on loan 26 Nov   JH took over 19 nov

BH- Ducky 5 aug 2017

Aye that's right mate. Sam was in loan for a while and he was actually a JF signing (full time.) 

That was always my point about JF's contribution to this season. He did sign some decent players but it's a bit like someone putting together a kit car. JF had all the right parts in the right order but could t get it going. Pete came along and not only has he got it going he's in the lead in the race.

• Like 1

Sam was signed permanently when Heath was in charge not long after the play-off final against Chorley