born to moan

Mad money, and politics and history and international law, and climate change, and Brexit, and Chinese imports, and Diane Abbott, and Donald Trump, and the General Election, and the NHS.

5 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

George Osborne says EU vote is 'once in a lifetime' chance - BBC Newsnight

He wasn't part of the official Leave campaign. He was part of the Cameron attempt to silence Euroscepticism in the Tory party.

2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

He wasn't part of the official Leave campaign. He was part of the Cameron attempt to silence Euroscepticism in the Tory party.

He said it was a once in a lifetime vote. Same as The Scottish referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/scottish-independence-referendum-yes-no-agree-once-in-lifetime-vote

Edited by Shaytrev

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

He said it was a once in a lifetime vote.

You're not deaf, congratulations. My dog also said the same, it had no bearing. The Tory leadership's narrative throughout the referendum campaign was to present the referendum as a one-time thing because they clearly believed the result would be Remain and their end game was to clip the wings of Tory party Eurosceptics.

As far as I can remember, nobody on the official Leave campaign was saying the same thing. It was more important for them to leave the door open to a second referendum if they lost the first, than it was to do the Tory leadership a favour and parrot Cameron's message.

19 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Who said it would be a once-in-a-lifetime vote? I'll tell you who... Cameron - who only proposed the referendum in the first place because he wanted to once and for all end Euroscepticism in the Tory party. Of course he was singing that it would be a one-time chance to get their view across because he naively assumed they'd fail and then shut up. Who else? No-one I can think of. Rees-Mogg is even on record as saying that a second referendum should follow the first if Remain won by a wider margin than Leave actually did win. Now he says a second referendum would be a democratic travesty. You couldn't make this up. Our country is being run by characters in a poor Monty Python sketch.

There's a little montage of mostly remain politicians from both Labour and Conservative parties clearly stating that this would be a once in a lifetime vote. Off the top of my head there was Cameron, Osbourne, Abbott, Mandelson and I think Brown too. There were quite a few others but these are the ones that spring to mind.

But don't forget that all these different politicians from different parties all intimated that it would be a simple in or out vote and that once the decision had been made then that was it. They really didn't think that Remain would lose. Lots of them, especially the ones that didn't really lend their weight to the Remain campain will be kicking themselves now and they'll be thinking if only.

My position is what it's always been and that's if we leave it has to be no deal and a clean break. If that can't be achieved then we need to stay as we were.

12 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

There's a little montage of mostly remain politicians from both Labour and Conservative parties clearly stating that this would be a once in a lifetime vote. Off the top of my head there was Cameron, Osbourne, Abbott, Mandelson and I think Brown too. There were quite a few others but these are the ones that spring to mind.

This one?

Time for Hoddie to go to bed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

This one?

Time for Hoddie to go to bed.

My apologies to Diane Abbott. She wasn't on the footage and I thought she was.

Plenty of MP's from the two main parties though including leaders.

But forget all the absolute bollocks and utter lies they told us all and believe the latest absolute lies and utter bollocks they're telling us.

Where are all the tradesmen coming from to build the thousands of social houses.

How biased was yesterday evenings question time, five successive random people picked out of the audience for questions were Scots, well done impartial BBC.

13 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Who said it would be a once-in-a-lifetime vote? I'll tell you who... Cameron - who only proposed the referendum in the first place because he wanted to once and for all end Euroscepticism in the Tory party. Of course he was singing that it would be a one-time chance to get their view across because he naively assumed they'd fail and then shut up. Who else? No-one I can think of. Rees-Mogg is even on record as saying that a second referendum should follow the first if Remain won by a wider margin than Leave actually did win. Now he says a second referendum would be a democratic travesty. You couldn't make this up. Our country is being run by characters in a poor Monty Python sketch.

There are countless videos of interviews with politicians of ALL parties stating it would be a once in a lifetime vote.

33 minutes ago, greg45 said:

There are countless videos of interviews with politicians of ALL parties stating it would be a once in a lifetime vote.

See above.

1 hour ago, greg45 said:

I counted five in the video above. My point stands. A 'once in a lifetime' vote about something is not democracy.

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

I counted five in the video above. My point stands. A 'once in a lifetime' vote about something is not democracy.

Keep digging. I'm off down't Shay.

Having a National public vote is democracy . Acting upon that democratic vote is democracy . Are we really going to need to vote every year to stay out of the EU or rejoin the EU ?

Edited by Wilder Bollox

50 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Having a National public vote is democracy . Acting upon that democratic vote is democracy . Are we really going to need to vote every year to stay out of the EU or rejoin the EU ?

I don't want another vote. But people who say another vote would be anti-democratic are hypocrites. Unless I live in a parallel universe where votes are anti-democratic?

I think the phrase Used by many was once in a generation vote .. ie twenty years 

it was definitely not the idea. To have a vote every year or two about in out or joining etc

3 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I don't want another vote. But people who say another vote would be anti-democratic are hypocrites. Unless I live in a parallel universe where votes are anti-democratic?

We'll have to see the state of the Nation post election . It might be a democratic necessity to hold another EU vote . It would be cheaper and better for the people to have both votes at the same time but that ship has sailed

Change of topic 

Prince Andrew claims he knew nothing about what Jeffery Epstein was up to 

... don’t believe that 

Wonder if Nicola sturgeon knew what Alec Salmond was upto .. I am sure she will say she did not know 

..can’t believe that either 

• Like 1

As to another referendum on brexit if it becomes necessary. 

it should be a transferable vote 

remain 

exit with a proposed deal 

exit no deal 

There should not be another vote, at least not during the next Parliament. But such decisions should not be closed for several generations just to please those who get a hard on when thinking too long about Brexit.

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

There should not be another vote, at least not during the next Parliament. But such decisions should not be closed for several generations just to please those who get a hard on when thinking too long about Brexit.

I agree with that tbf.

Get Brexit done. Give it 10 years and then if its not working (or even if it is) have another vote.

We should however have a crack at Brexit first since the vote sided with leave.

And again, I will openly admit I dont know if staying or leaving will be for the best long term. No one does, its all guess work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Surely if the outcome of the first vote hasn’t been implemented then yes, it is undemocratic to have another. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Surely if the outcome of the first vote hasn’t been implemented then yes, it is undemocratic to have another. 

And if parliament continues not to implement the result of the referendum for another decade or more, are we to be denied the chance to voice our opinion on the EU permanently?

26 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

And if parliament continues not to implement the result of the referendum for another decade or more, are we to be denied the chance to voice our opinion on the EU permanently?

I’m not sure where it ends - but given from what I can see the tactic of most politicians has been “stall long enough and the public will get fed up change their minds and want to cancel it” I’m not sure if more delays somehow becomes a justification for not implementing the result of the vote. It’s absolutely criminal.

1 hour ago, greg45 said:

I’m not sure where it ends - but given from what I can see the tactic of most politicians has been “stall long enough and the public will get fed up change their minds and want to cancel it” I’m not sure if more delays somehow becomes a justification for not implementing the result of the vote. It’s absolutely criminal.

What it is,is that we all know its national suicide and no government wants to be in charge when it happens! Would you want to be the party that goes down in history as the ones that oversaw the trashing of the economy!

57 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

What it is,is that we all know its national suicide and no government wants to be in charge when it happens! Would you want to be the party that goes down in history as the ones that oversaw the trashing of the economy!

You’re right, no one wants their hands on it.