born to moan

Mad money, and politics and history and international law, and climate change, and Brexit, and Chinese imports, and Diane Abbott, and Donald Trump, and the General Election, and the NHS.

3 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Well, you lot down Hebden Bridge voted the Tory back in, only yourselves to blame.

I have to put up with an invisible MP for the next few years down here in Halifax. Why did over 20,000 vote for someone who has done virtually nothing for the Town ?

Trev, I think we are both mystified!

• Like 1

Let's be honest, many people who voted Tory haven't suddenly switched to supporting the Tory version of the future.

Three things have resulted in the win for BoJo:

1. Brexit. The public want it done. I've staunchly anti-Brexit but I've been saying for 12 months or more that it just needs to be done now. The Tories were the only party promising this.
  2. Corbyn. I actually think it's his personality rather than necessarily his policies that have undone Labour. It's difficult to support a party when the leader is distrusted and disliked by so many of the party's MPs.
  3. A largely Tory-supporting press.

The next election will be very, very different in my opinion. If Labour are at all serious about remaining one of the two largest political forces in the country, they need to get rid of Corbyn asap.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

Let's be honest, many people who voted Tory haven't suddenly switched to supporting the Tory version of the future.

1. Brexit. The public want it done. I've staunchly anti-Brexit but I've been saying for 12 months or more that it just needs to be done now. The Tories were the only party promising this.
  2. Corbyn. I actually think it's his personality rather than necessarily his policies that have undone Labour. It's difficult to support a party when the leader is distrusted and disliked by so many of the party's MPs.

The next election will be very, very different in my opinion. If Labour are at all serious about remaining one of the two largest political forces in the country, they need to get rid of Corbyn asap.

Agree 100%

Must say I'm impressed with johnsons plans for the nhs, 50,000 new nurses, 6000 gps and 40 new hospitals! Brilliant news! Happy days.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Must say I'm impressed with johnsons plans for the nhs, 50,000 new nurses, 6000 gps and 40 new hospitals! Brilliant news! Happy days.

All joking aside mate, it's important that we hold the ****ers to account and make sure they do what they say they are going to do.

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

All joking aside mate, it's important that we hold the ****ers to account and make sure they do what they say they are going to do.

Norm, I can guarantee you they wont.

It's all downhill from here I'm afraid!

3 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Norm, I can guarantee you they wont.

It's all downhill from here I'm afraid!

You might be right mate, but I am one of life's optimists so I live in hope.

You must be happy though because apart from the difference over Brexit he has basically nicked a load of Jeremy's ideas.

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

You must be happy though because apart from the difference over Brexit he has basically nicked a load of Jeremy's ideas.

Ha yeh, to be honest, as I've said before, it had to be the tories that enacted brexit. Once that happens they will be unelectable in future.

22 minutes ago, Norm said:

While Boris is a brexit clown .. as London mayor he was a centerist politician 

will be interesting to see if with a large majority the Tory nut case right can be ignored 

as to labour to win soon they need to move to the centre... but I look at whats left of their party .. no centre left mp of any stature to take back the party 

and a momentum group who now control the party who blame everybody but themselves .. come on labour wake up we need a strong labour in the middle ground to bring back some balance in our politics 

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

So the chance of Scotland having another vote increased massively!

Their contribution to the nations economy cannot be under played and the EU will welcome them with open arms.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Its not an election to celebrate; probably the worst in my life time. Long standing Conservatives telling the electorate not to vote Tory; long standing Labour politicians telling the electorate to vote Conservative. It shows how polairised politics has become.

I dont necessarily think Johnson is overly right wing; probably quite liberal a Conservative but can he be trusted?

We are a moderate country and had Labour had a leader who was more centrist then they would have won on a landslide.

Corbyn is inept; he may not be anti-semitic but the way he has handled the issue has been shocking. He is too Marxist; far too Marxist for a moderate country. It is OK saying it was his personality rather than necessarily his policies because whilst there may be some truth in that, his policies were too ambitious and probably un-achievable which put off many.

My fear is that given how the Labour Party is set up is that it will struggle to get out of this left wing cycle. With the activists, Momentum, etc, the chances are when Corbyn finally goes he will be replaced by someone of similar ilk. As we saw with Michael Foot, there is no appetite for such left wing politics. Its something Blair understood and that led to 13 (?) years of a Labour government.

We need a strong opposition to hold the government of the day to account - the next leader of the Labour party is crucial to this but the left wing ideologists, if they get their way, will see the Tories stay in power long term.

The last few years has been dominated by Brexit and Johnson now has the opportunity to produce with a strong majority. We will soon see if the warnings made against him was just scaremongering but hopefully we will see an improvement in politics over what we have had to endure over the last few years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Their contribution to the nations economy cannot be under played and the EU will welcome them with open arms.

They have a lot of work on to satisfy the EU’s requirements if they do ever become independent. Hardly an economic powerhouse.

4 minutes ago, greg45 said:

They have a lot of work on to satisfy the EU’s requirements if they do ever become independent. Hardly an economic powerhouse.

Screenshot_20191213-082853_Google.jpg

Don't you lot listen to Scot Nats when they are being interviewed? They do not want the Euro, they want to keep the pound but stay in the EU. They want their bread buttered on both sides.The Scottish Parliament have made a balls of the economy up North, remember Sturgeon has a lot of power up there and she has misused it.

They only way they will get Independence is when/if they ever let The English vote too.

'Braveheart' Nationalism is all you are seeing. Mel Gibson has a lot to answer for.

Edited by Shaytrev

26 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Its not an election to celebrate; probably the worst in my life time. Long standing Conservatives telling the electorate not to vote Tory; long standing Labour politicians telling the electorate to vote Conservative. It shows how polairised politics has become.

I dont necessarily think Johnson is overly right wing; probably quite liberal a Conservative but can he be trusted?

We are a moderate country and had Labour had a leader who was more centrist then they would have won on a landslide.

Corbyn is inept; he may not be anti-semitic but the way he has handled the issue has been shocking. He is too Marxist; far too Marxist for a moderate country. It is OK saying it was his personality rather than necessarily his policies because whilst there may be some truth in that, his policies were too ambitious and probably un-achievable which put off many.

My fear is that given how the Labour Party is set up is that it will struggle to get out of this left wing cycle. With the activists, Momentum, etc, the chances are when Corbyn finally goes he will be replaced by someone of similar ilk. As we saw with Michael Foot, there is no appetite for such left wing politics. Its something Blair understood and that led to 13 (?) years of a Labour government.

We need a strong opposition to hold the government of the day to account - the next leader of the Labour party is crucial to this but the left wing ideologists, if they get their way, will see the Tories stay in power long term.

The last few years has been dominated by Brexit and Johnson now has the opportunity to produce with a strong majority. We will soon see if the warnings made against him was just scaremongering but hopefully we will see an improvement in politics over what we have had to endure over the last few years.

The other big issue is another referendum in Scotland. If they vote to leave (I don’t think they will) it gets even harder for a hopefully new, more centralist Labour to get power. Labour are a total shambles. Momentum and Unite are in total denial this morning. Suicidal idiots. You have to win to implement policies. 

38 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Not sure I agree

while 45 percent voted for the SNP 55 percent voted against them 

the same can will and should be said at the conservatives 

what was surprising was the low green vote 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

That is why people distrust politicians..did not answer a single question 

17 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

Pointless this anyway, Boris will win. Rightly or wrongly. Nailed on. Unless that Scottish bird somehow takes over the whole of the rest of Britain as well as Jockland. Tomorrow the World!! 

It will be compulsory to paint our faces Blue with a white cross and salute her shouting Och I Tha Nuuuo Jimmy!

Looks like I was right then. Goodbye Corbyn. Nobhead.

34 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Don't you lot listen to Scot Nats when they are being interviewed? They do not want the Euro, they want to keep the pound but stay in the EU. They want their bread buttered on both sides.The Scottish Parliament have made a balls of the economy up North, remember Sturgeon has a lot of power up there and she has misused it.

They only way they will get Independence is when/if they ever let The English vote too.

'Braveheart' Nationalism is all you are seeing. Mel Gibson has a lot to answer for.

Same thing can be said for english nationalists too trev!

Except without mel!

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

Screenshot_20191213-082853_Google.jpg

Scotland's GDP - £180 billion. UK's GDP - £2.8 trillion. Happy to do without their contribution if they wish to sod off (which, btw, I don't think they do - maybe they had a referendum and someone could pull up the result...?).

£4.25 billion is absolutely naff all in macro economic terms.