Sign in to follow this  
Icke's Lizard

Can we do it?

40 minutes ago, rdj said:

I am glad it is not you but Pete Wild giving the motivational team talks

I just think blind optimism is the preserve of the foolish.

I`m sure Pete Wild is more realistic than you are, at least I hope so.

You win nowt in September, and having seen more false dawns over the past 55 years than I care to remember I choose to temper my optimism with a dose of reality and take a measured view over the season, not cream myself over the last result.

• Like 1

It's never over 'til it's over, but we've had almost a third of the season and we are 1 point off top, and 8 above 8th. Even with a few more blips in form (bound to happen) there's every chance we'll be fighting over a top 7 spot come the end of the season in my opinion.

Let's just hope it doesn't end a la 2005 when Mr Dunbavin's debacle set us on a downward spiral out of the playoffs.

39 minutes ago, Angus said:

You win nowt in September, and having seen more false dawns over the past 55 years than I care to remember I choose to temper my optimism with a dose of reality and take a measured view over the season, not cream myself over the last result.

I say cream away , 2nd in the league , top goalscorers , halfway to safety , big jump in crowd average attendance , a manager who had no time to prepare , a harmonious forum , I could go on , but as far as cream moments go I don't think it could get any creamier .

My personal opinion is that we will fall short of winning the whole thing. I feel other teams will "come good" towards the end of the season and will be able to out muscle us come January in the transfer window to strengthen. I also feel Bromley and Woking will "fall away" soon, or will be expected to a little like us. All three of us have had superb starts to the season however I feel all three of us, if achieving a playoff spot by the end of the season, would be delighted with that.

However, with that said, I do feel that we have a very strong squad and if we can keep it injury free, get a bit of luck and maybe bring in the odd right body or two in on loan then we could very well push all the way. 

At this point I see no reason so far why we can not compete for a very strong playoff place (As in a top 3 finish would give us a Playoff Semi Final spot). By all means, lets go for the title and be in the mix for it as it we just fall short of it and end up runners up, third or even 4th/5th then we are still well placed for a shot at promotion. 

I keep saying it, however one game at a time. Each week where we pull off ANOTHER win, even if we aren't top we are cementing our place at the top end of the table and opening up distance in the Playoff space. If we could get ourselves at the turn of the year in a position where we could have an actual slim chance of the title (or even be top) but know that if we went on a poor run we would still be well placed for a "Worst Case Scenario" Playoff Spot, well, I'd be delighted. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 3

We have as much chance as anyone else, like Flea says take each game one at a time, if we loose one or two, as long as we strike back with a win,we will be in with a shout of the title or playoffs come the end of the season.

Edited by shaycrazy
punctuation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus said:

not sure how my comment "I am glad it is not you but Pete Wild giving the motivational team talks " fits in to any of the above categories.

I, too, am totally realistic after watching Town for over sixty years!

Hoddie ..you are so right 

just keeping hoping that this continues 

i start every season wanting pomotion and this season is the first for a long time that 14 games in of I  still believe with some luck we can just do it .. 

to succeed you (players) have to have belief ... 

And so should we supporters 

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shaycrazy said:

We have as much chance as anyone else, like Flea says take each game one at a time, if we loose one or two, as long as we strike back with a win,we will be in with a shout of the title or playoffs come the end of the season.

Well, probably slightly more chance than Wrexham and Chesterfield at this point ;)

17 minutes ago, Nick said:

Hoddie ..you are so right 

just keeping hoping that this continues 

i start every season wanting pomotion and this season is the first for a long time that 14 games in of I  still believe with some luck we can just do it .. 

to succeed you (players) have to have belief ... 

And so should we supporters 

This last Sept been believing for 70 years.

36 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

It's noticeable that those who were singing JF's praises last season for keeping us low mid-table, are mostly the same ones urging caution with PW's great early start.

I`m cautious (cautiously optimistic?), but was one of the clueless Caledonians most vociferous critics, so will absent myself from this statement.:P

• Like 1

last season 43% of our games under JF ended in draws  , with 13 wins and 13 defeats

under pete wild we are only 4 wins away from matching last seasons effort with 32 games to go 

we have drawn once [ the big difference from last season] and if we end up with only 5 or 6 draws this season we will be in a promotion position at the end of the campaign

i have no doubt,keep the wins coming and the odd defeat will look after itself

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kirkbymoorsidesteve said:

under pete wild we are only 4 wins away from matching last seasons effort with 32 games to go 

Candidate for the craziest statistic of FC Halifax Town's history.

"But, but, but JF is doing a good job, he's building for the future, Rome wasn't built in a day, he needs more time, we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, we can't compete with the former league clubs, we can't hope for promotion without gambling the club's future, we should be happy we're in the Conference National, this is our level, only the moneybags clubs can win promotion, I'm being realistic not pessimistic....." ad infinitum. Excuse after excuse from some supporters. And if Wild does achieve what would be a remarkable feat, getting Town into the play-offs - or better - these people will start all over again in Division Three. They thrive on failure and mediocrity. And they have the cheek to call me negative!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I know I'll be accused by some of letting my imagination run away with itself but can we win this league and promotion? 

Im being deadly serious because whilst we have lost and been old manned against Yeovil (who are looking good) and Notts County. I feel this is a great chance for us to make a real fist of it this year. 

We have scored the most and are joint top for goals conceded. 

Fylde aren't much this year, Wrexham are already in a mess along with Chesterfield and Stockport are finding their feet back in a higher division. 

I just saw a tweet that said "it would be two fingers up to the rest of this league if little old Bromley won it!" 

It got me thinking why not us? 

We all want to get back in the league don't we? (Well most of us!!) I fear nobody in this league to be honest and I think our squad is enthusiastic and raw with good old heads like Clarke getting us through. 

Way way too early. 

It’s nice to imagine it but we’ve only just got into October. At Christmas time if were in the play offs still or just outside then yes start thinking we might make the play offs. 

• Like 1

A defeat on Saturday and they’ll want them all shipping out to BPA again because they aren’t good enough!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ash said:

A defeat on Saturday and they’ll want them all shipping out to BPA again because they aren’t good enough!

Just seen Beckenbower's rejoined them! Danny Boshell his assistant. Good of him to return, but I know who I'd rather have in charge.

If ya dont have dreams then why bother? Simple answer is we have hope and thats good enough for me

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Just seen Beckenbower's rejoined them! Danny Boshell his assistant. Good of him to return, but I know who I'd rather have in charge.

Surprised they haven't dragged Aspin in kicking and screaming . Looking a poisoned chalice with already having had 3 first team squads this season .

13 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Might get a televised FA Cup game which pays better than, league games and gets far more exposure . But I wouldn't be too fussed if we get dumped out on the 19th

Might bring in enough extra cash to give Liam Mac a decent contract extension? 

Yes we can. We’ve got a great manager and a new positive attitude. Doubt we’ll win the league but a playoff win is possible. Board has done a great job lately and not getting the credit they deserve at the moment.