Sign in to follow this  
archietaylor7

Big Game - Come On Town

Right, just about ready to set off, "Tina's" all fuelled up and Ive got my flask and sandwiches, and my trusty old Road Map of England so it's Dover here we come. Big game today and hopefully the boys can bounce back from Tuesdays disappointment. It would be great if they can play really well for the cameras and set the marker, show some of the doubters that we aren't 2nd in the league for no reason. Its going to be really tough but here's hoping! Come On You Shaymen.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Right, just about ready to set off, "Tina's" all fuelled up and Ive got my flask and sandwiches, and my trusty old Road Map of England so it's Dover here we come. Big game today and hopefully the boys can bounce back from Tuesdays disappointment. It would be great if they can play really well for the cameras and set the marker, show some of the doubters that we aren't 2nd in the league for no reason. Its going to be really tough but here's hoping! Come On You Shaymen.

Are you actually driving to Dover in the Cortina?

Full credit to the people who make the trip to Dover especially as the game is on tv. Ill find a local pub to watch it in today and would definitely take a draw

Edited by halifaxmark

Safe journey..traveling  your own .. if with other comrades fleeing their wives for the day

hope the players put in the effort the supporters are 

Got to win today. Don’t want 4 defeats in 5 as we will soon start dropping down the league like every other season we start well. 

let’s keep momentum and hopeful have a much improved performance than Tuesdays **** performance. 

Come On Town!! 

3 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

Good on you Archie & all the other fans making such a long journey after a few disappointing displays of late. Hope you all a safe journey & a return up north with 3 valuable points on our way back to attractive, winning football.

3 hours ago, halifaxmark said:

Full credit to the people who make the trip to Dover especially as the game is on tv. Ill find a local pub to watch it in today and would definitely take a draw

Need a win to get some momentum back.There home form is not so good.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:42 AM, archietaylor7 said:

What a great day out. Real backs to the wall stuff at times but the lads showed real grit and determination. Our Diamond in the pack, CK, does though drive me nuts, he was exceptional in the first half but there were at least 4 times yesterday when he chose not to pass/play someone else in as a better option. But what the hell, if he continues doing what he's doing who am I to complain! Tina performed admirably on the way there, not sure how many more long hauls she's got left in her, as I was saying to the R.A.C. lad on the drive back, I think she might be on her last legs. And then bugger me, when I got home the young plumber from down the road had only just left. It turns out that the old boiler needed servicing and Mrs T had thought it would be a good idea to get him in while I was away for the day. Now that's really thoughtful. Great day all round.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, ashy1966 said:

Need a win to get some momentum back.There home form is not so good.

I thought Dover were shocking. Everyone a tackle went in from us they looked for the foul. They relied on their big lad up front who I thought was poor.

A decent side would have beaten us today. We need to improve but I'm still happy with the result and the way the players dug in.

Looking at the games we've played, there have been some very good results, still clinging to our leading goal scorers tag at present, but Toby & Liam seem to be struggling just at the moment. Perhaps Jamie Allen being out cuts their supply somewhat. But looking at our Wins & losses, I genuinely think that the only team that we should have lost to up to this point is Yeovil who in my opinion will win the league based on current form and what I've seen. We definitely shouldn't have lost at Wrexham or Notts County and Tuesdays loss to Harrogate will be one of those results that we may rue at the end of the season. But great stuff from the lads and the whole team. Hope they can keep it going.

26 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I thought Dover were shocking. Everyone a tackle went in from us they looked for the foul. They relied on their big lad up front who I thought was poor.

A decent side would have beaten us today. We need to improve but I'm still happy with the result and the way the players dug in.

I trust that you only watched the first 20 minutes of the second half.

First half was probably the most dominant display by us all season.

Effiong was a threat, but apart from a couple of occasions was well marshalled by Clarke and Staunton.

We are 2nd for a reason. We are a decent side with a goal threat all over the pitch.

Find it amazing that despite those three losses we are second 

and while we are not conceding many goals the ones we have have hurt us... I do believe at the moment that brown and Maher out is having  an impact .. we would not have lost all three if they had been playing 

if we can get them back and keep them injury free then we can only be stronger 

really believe with some luck on injuries or lack of them we are title contenders 

nick 

2 hours ago, shaymenRup said:

I trust that you only watched the first 20 minutes of the second half.

First half was probably the most dominant display by us all season.

Effiong was a threat, but apart from a couple of occasions was well marshalled by Clarke and Staunton.

We are 2nd for a reason. We are a decent side with a goal threat all over the pitch.

So agree . You go away to Dover and win it was a great result 

Edited by Nick

46 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think that's the point about the league we are in Erik, games are tight, they sway from domination to backs against the wall with not many clubs playing for anywhere near 90 mins. I thought Chesterfield, Barnet and Solihull all had spells in the game where they could have taken us, but didn't.   There may be teams out there who will punish you during every flat spot but I think they are few and far between.  

26 minutes ago, Nick said:

Find it amazing that despite those three losses we are second 

and while we are not conceding many goals the ones we have have hurt us... I do believe at the moment that brown and Maher out is having  an impact .. we would not have lost all three if they had been playing 

if we can get them back and keep them injury free then we can only be stronger 

really believe with some luck on injuries or lack of them we are title contenders 

nick 

Wild states we have a full squad from Monday and a selection headache.

Great position to be in.

1 hour ago, francisfirth said:

I think that's the point about the league we are in Erik, games are tight, they sway from domination to backs against the wall with not many clubs playing for anywhere near 90 mins. I thought Chesterfield, Barnet and Solihull all had spells in the game where they could have taken us, but didn't.   There may be teams out there who will punish you during every flat spot but I think they are few and far between.  

Good call. I think it's still taking some getting used to after last season when it was block and block and block in front of the centre halves or/and head it clear from Brown and Clarke. Nice to see that our main tactic going forward has now changed from play it down the right, get a throw, lose the throw and then be out of possession again.

Very few players that you could describe as having a good touch and control of the ball. I think that's why CK stands out so much.

It's a case of you have to work hard for 90 mins and then have that little bit of quality, or flair player too.

We have that now and we actually have a couple of quality players in the middle and up top along with a great team spirit amongst them all.

Last season we did well against the top sides 

but failed miserably against those around us 

So far this season we have done well against all.. except perhaps 3 of our four losses when we should have come out with a draw 

especially as two of them were against 10 men 

4 hours ago, Nick said:

Last season we did well against the top sides 

but failed miserably against those around us 

So far this season we have done well against all.. except perhaps 3 of our four losses when we should have come out with a draw 

especially as two of them were against 10 men 

Two of our defeats were when we were going for it to try and win, both the Wrexham and Harrogate games would have finished 0-0 0n another day.