Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lewis

Josh MacDonald

20 hours ago, greygoose said:

Totally agree, a player looking to get back to a certain standard should not be going out on loan so far down the pyramid. Yes he'll have gained fitness/confidence but you would expect any pro to stand out in what is a 'pub league' .

The only test worthwhile with JM will be speed, has he maintained this after injury? If he has then great but if he's lost a yard or 2 then for me he's a squad player. His game is all about beating the full back on the outside, something he'd almost perfected. 

Remember, Josh was coming back from 12 months out with a Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury.  I was reliably informed he dropped to the level he did, because it guaranteed him the competitive minutes he needed, and he was under the guidance of his old manager and advisor who could gauge exactly where Josh was at in his progress.  By all accounts, everything so far is looking very encouraging, and his return is near. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Statto said:

Remember, Josh was coming back from 12 months out with a Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury.  I was reliably informed he dropped to the level he did, because it guaranteed him the competitive minutes he needed, and he was under the guidance of his old manager and advisor who could gauge exactly where Josh was at in his progress.  By all accounts, everything so far is looking very encouraging, and his return is near. 

Only time will tell with this one i suppose, just feel that you cant read into his form at Whitley Bay due to how low the standard is, but as you say its at least given him minutes & confidence. But as i said if his speed isn't as it was i don't see him being anything like the player he was previously as it was his main asset.

1 minute ago, greygoose said:

Only time will tell with this one i suppose, just feel that you cant read into his form at Whitley Bay due to how low the standard is, but as you say its at least given him minutes & confidence. But as i said if his speed isn't as it was i don't see him being anything like the player he was previously as it was his main asset.

I get its not the top league, however, how many people have actually watched a few games at this level? Its not fart and burp stuff. At the same pyramid level the Northern league teams are probably at least one league higher in quality than you would get around here or down south.

Alas, this is also all about Josh getting game time, fitness and back into the swing of things. I think some people are maybe being a tad quick to not give much credit here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flea said:

I get its not the top league, however, how many people have actually watched a few games at this level? Its not fart and burp stuff. At the same pyramid level the Northern league teams are probably at least one league higher in quality than you would get around here or down south.

Alas, this is also all about Josh getting game time, fitness and back into the swing of things. I think some people are maybe being a tad quick to not give much credit here.

Much more physical too as we found out down the levels.Getting his confidence back that the injury is past and the psycological aspect is over is probably the biggest hurdle he has to clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flea said:

They're probably stronger than even that.

From what I gather, teams in that league pay extremely well too.

Unless you really wanted to progress in the game/didn't have an alternative career, why would you play for Blyth/Gateshead for £250 a week and have to risk travel to Gloucester on Tuesday nights or getting home at 10pm most Saturdays, when you could earn £200 for Whitley Bay or Hebburn and never play more than 25 miles away and have a proper weekend?

It's comfortably the best step 5/6 standard, and streets ahead of the likes of Liversedge in the North East Counties or Hinckley in the Midland Football League that I've seen in comparison.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mj85 said:

They're probably stronger than even that.

From what I gather, teams in that league pay extremely well too.

Unless you really wanted to progress in the game/didn't have an alternative career, why would you play for Blyth/Gateshead for £250 a week and have to risk travel to Gloucester on Tuesday nights or getting home at 10pm most Saturdays, when you could earn £200 for Whitley Bay or Hebburn and never play more than 25 miles away and have a proper weekend?

It's comfortably the best step 5/6 standard, and streets ahead of the likes of Liversedge in the North East Counties or Hinckley in the Midland Football League that I've seen in comparison.

I do not know about today but several years ago The North East provided more pro footballers to the English Leagues than any other area in Britain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greygoose said:

"From an attacking/creativity perspective, it’s the best I’ve ever seen him. You could argue the level is easier but he still has to make the correct decisions. He’s mixing his game up more than he ever has. Only his 4th game back probably hitting about 80% fitness level at the moment. More to come over the next few games. When he’s 100%, there’s no way the gaffer will be leaving him out"

From a contact at Whitley Bay 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

"From an attacking/creativity perspective, it’s the best I’ve ever seen him. You could argue the level is easier but he still has to make the correct decisions. He’s mixing his game up more than he ever has. Only his 4th game back probably hitting about 80% fitness level at the moment. More to come over the next few games. When he’s 100%, there’s no way the gaffer will be leaving him out"

From a contact at Whitley Bay 

I hope your 'contact' is correct but had he not produced for Whitley Bay he may as well of been released from the Shay. He's doing it so fair play to him but it was expected and no one should be surprised.

I will bow to peoples superior knowledge of the standard being better than the local equivalent but it will still be miles off the National league. Theres no doubt it will have helped his recovery but no one can conclude he'll be undroppable when he returns.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, greygoose said:

I hope your 'contact' is correct but had he not produced for Whitley Bay he may as well of been released from the Shay. He's doing it so fair play to him but it was expected and no one should be surprised.

I will bow to peoples superior knowledge of the standard being better than the local equivalent but it will still be miles off the National league. Theres no doubt it will have helped his recovery but no one can conclude he'll be undroppable when he returns.

Will give us more of a threat out wide than jeff king or williams. He will run at a defender and put a cross in the box as a winger should do

13 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Will give us more of a threat out wide than jeff king or williams. He will run at a defender and put a cross in the box as a winger should do

And then Sho can head it over.

• Haha 2