Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Erik Everhard

Harrogate at Home

After Saturdays result confidence amongst the players must be high. I would expect Town to be on the front foot from the off and that will hopefully yield a few goals. 

I'm hoping that our defence gels better and we try and keep a clean sheet.

Also, after Saturdays decent crowd I fancy a crowd of 2042 and a 4-0 victory for The Shaymen.

UTS

Nothing to fear from Harrogate. We took 4 points off them last season and I think we should take 3 on Tuesday. Hopefully get Browny back soon though because we are shipping to many goals. I dont really like the Kevin Keagan style "you score 4, we'll score 5" type of scenario even though its very exciting. But with the current lads we definitely have goals in this squad.

5 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

I dont really like the Kevin Keagan style "you score 4, we'll score 5" type of scenario even though its very exciting.

Even if the alternative is watching JF style football ???

• Like 1

It’s only like that because your captain and centre half are missing and your 2 holding midfielders are either injured or out of position. It will get better.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rdj said:

Even if the alternative is watching JF style football ???

There are times in football matches when the JF style pays dividends, hence so many clean sheets. Town need to learn how to close games down at the moment. Its all very well being a free scoring team, but we have to get back to having that completely solid defence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

There are times in football matches when the JF style pays dividends, hence so many clean sheets. Town need to learn how to close games down at the moment. Its all very well being a free scoring team, but we have to get back to having that completely solid defence.

But not at the expense of the attack. This will be sorted with the return of Matty B. 

Edited by Steve Lanzarote
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

There are times in football matches when the JF style pays dividends, hence so many clean sheets.

When does that style of play pay dividends? Clean sheets don't win games, goals do. And our defence was solid last season because we had 10 players in defence.

6 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Glad you were paying attention in Saturday . Midfield was responsible for the goals conceded .

The midfielders that were in defence.

43 minutes ago, Ash said:

It’s only like that because your captain and centre half are missing and your 2 holding midfielders are either injured or out of position. It will get better.

Only 1 of those 2 required in Midfield for me, in Cooper we look to have a player who can keep possession.  

How about half a game ease him back in 

hoping for a good result ... but this is halifax town remember :)

4 hours ago, Hoddie said:

When does that style of play pay dividends? Clean sheets don't win games, goals do. And our defence was solid last season because we had 10 players in defence.

It pays to defend when you are in need of points and not scoring goals as we were last season, the dividend was not getting relegated. And as we are now, when we are winning games and the opposition are throwing everything at us in the last 10 mins as is the usual, we need to learn to close the game down. Please keep things in context Hoddie, obviously we like things as they are now, but there are times when a more JF approach is needed. That's purely the nature of the game.

3 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

It pays to defend when you are in need of points and not scoring goals as we were last season, the dividend was not getting relegated. And as we are now, when we are winning games and the opposition are throwing everything at us in the last 10 mins as is the usual, we need to learn to close the game down. Please keep things in context Hoddie, obviously we like things as they are now, but there are times when a more JF approach is needed. That's purely the nature of the game.

I couldn't disagree more. JF's style completely wasted the extra resources coughed up by the BoD last season. It resulted in the very real prospect of being dragged into a relegation battle. Wild is proving that avoiding that style almost always pays bigger dividends.

3 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I couldn't disagree more. JF's style completely wasted the extra resources coughed up by the BoD last season. It resulted in the very real prospect of being dragged into a relegation battle. Wild is proving that avoiding that style almost always pays bigger dividends.

We'll have to agree to disagree Hoddie. You use what you have available. And if memory serves me correctly we WERE in a relegation battle for quite a while.

2 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree Hoddie. You use what you have available. And if memory serves me correctly we WERE in a relegation battle for quite a while.

...because JF was trying not to lose, not trying to win. It's a losing philosophy and a losing mentality. He went something like half a season without a win ffs, how on earth can you suggest that he had it right?

15 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

No!!!!! 

JFs style of play was not to lose. How is that needed? You will never ever succeed like that and I hope Pete wild continues to go into every match to win. 

Tuesday night at home he will go to win and I’m feeling a 3-1 win. 

Harrogate are nothing special hence why they’re where they’re. But it won’t be an easy game but we will be up for it with a crowd of 2000+ and should be a good atmosphere! 

6 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

...because JF was trying not to lose, not trying to win. It's a losing philosophy and a losing mentality. He went something like half a season without a win ffs, how on earth can you suggest that he had it right?

As I say, we'll agree to disagree!! Until Rodney came we had no fire power whatsoever. Had he not shut up shop we'd have been playing in the Northern now. Of course Wild is using a different strategy but look at the players at his disposal and the firepower we have. You cant compare the two.