Sign in to follow this  
Richmond96

Quarter of the Season gone. Time for assumptions?

I think we'll make the playoffs. We're playing to win. We're picking up points while key players are injured and the squad feels like it has more depth than in previous years. 

Also the League is wide open with no clear winners, with the possible exception of Yeovil. Teams with bigger support and budgets I'd expect to be at least fighting for playoff positions are struggling (Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts C, Hartlepool, Torquay, Stockport C). 

Time to get excited. 

It’s a great start 

but still along way to go, injuries will play apart in how well we do And we are not picking up booking so hopefully less suspensions 

we are scoring goals 10 from the front 2 and 13 from the rest of the side 

we have a decent squad .. perhaps no stand out players (as yet) but that means we are more than a one man team 

finally we seem to have the best atmosphere amongst the players the club and supporters that we have not seen for years 

if it all continues and it’s a big ask or big hope then play-offs yes and champion maybe 

still early but at some stage hope has to give way to belief.. by Christmas perhaps 

just great to feel this good on a Sunday morning 

nick 

• Like 2

No it’s way way too early to think we will make the play offs. 

Great start yes but we’re not even in October. Wait till about Christmas time then yes start thinking where we will finish but for no just take one game at a time. 

Yeovil look to be building a head of steam.

If I was a betting man then I’d say the league is theirs. Play off spots are there for the taking though - one win at a time.

Edited by shaymandownsouff
Ugh, horrible grammar
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

No it’s way way too early to think we will make the play offs. 

Great start yes but we’re not even in October. Wait till about Christmas time then yes start thinking where we will finish but for no just take one game at a time. 

The table doesn't change much from Christmas to April apart from the odd side going on a good / bad run , if we are thereabouts at the start of 2020 then it's time to get a tad excited.

I do believe we are onto something here though .

The difference between this squad and the ones of previous seasons which at their best delivered false dawns is clear to see. The way we move, the quality of the goals, the sheer fact that we are outplaying teams and not crudely relying on the laws of probabilities. 

As we are seeing though with Matty Brown's injury we will need luck on our side in that regard. On the pitch though we have a team that's controlling and dictating play and has a thirst for goals that we haven't seen in a long time.

• Like 2

The assessment is that early form was no flash in the pan. We have consistently produced good results.

Our performances to date justify our lofty position. We seem more capable of turning draws into victories which we need to maintain. Harrogate will be an interesting test. A team whose position suggests aren’t likely to challenge but who have good players. A game last season we would probably have lost. If the players have the same motivation, confidence and flow to their game they should be okay. But a potential banana skin.

Our focus at the moment should be on getting 50 points as soon as possible. We can speculate then on whether the playoffs or better are achievable.

I think that some of the bigger clubs, particularly Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts and Hartlepool are all likely to see managerial changes before the season is out. If some of those changes happen sooner rather than later we could see some of those clubs enter the competition. 

Edited by francisfirth

59 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Who would they appoint that could improve their fortunes ?

who knows, I suppose their current positions says a lot about their ability to appoint the right managers......that said, margins feel very small in this league.  Chesterfield for example, had they played for 40 minutes of the game against us, instead of 25 minutes, they could have got something from the game. Despite their terrible league position they feel like they are are short of 2 or 3 players, not a big gap with a bit of common sense applied.  

I'm worried that a fixture backlog later in the season could cause us problems, following our many postponements as a result of our progression through many rounds of the FA Cup and FA Trophy !

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rdj said:

I'm worried that a fixture backlog later in the season could cause us problems, following our many postponements as a result of our progression through many rounds of the FA Cup and FA Trophy !

George Mulhall had the right idea and he took us up.

We could make a considerable amount of money from The FA Cup but whoever is serious about League football will have league games as priority as he did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Because of the Bury situation , at the moment, there is only 1 promotion slot. Will there be any play-offs at all?

My understanding was that 2 will still go up with only 1 coming down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Because of the Bury situation , at the moment, there is only 1 promotion slot. Will there be any play-offs at all?

Yep, regardless of what happens with Bury it won’t stop two being promoted. 

4 minutes ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Wrong at the moment 

only one coming down from league 2 and two going up

the assumption is bury will not be given a place in the league 

So league 1 ... 3 relegated 

league 2... four promoted and one relegated 

national 2 promoted .. 

Just now, Nick said:

the assumption is bury will not be given a place in the league 

Vote takes place this week , will be interesting to see what happens , it's hard to imagine them starting again in the league it will open the floodgates for other clubs to overspend and get into financial difficulty knowing punishment will be lenient .

Feel sorry for everyone at the club but it should not be even going to a vote , you can't just skip a season and then start again one league lower .