Sign in to follow this  
Trackingback

The Invisible Men

Clearly, we’re going to have to beat Harrogate on Tuesday and then Dover away in front of their cameras before the BT Highlights show gives us any credit. Just watched tonight’s show and no mention of how well we’re generally doing. They did mention us a few weeks ago mind when they said our early wins will come in handy when we go on a losing run. Come on Bromley and Woking!

• Like 1

Lets keep going un-noticed. Every passing week we keep ticking along at the right end of the table.

Its a long season and I do feel that it will be a big ask to actually have a title challenge, however, as each passing game goes and we stay in the mix, well we can start to believe. 

What is pleasing is that whilst getting almost zero credit, we are getting the points. Its put us in a position that we could lose 2 on the bounce and still find ourselves second. We have a 7 point buffer for the playoffs.... Little things at this point in the season however each week we extend that the better. 

I'm happy with us not being top at the moment and letting other teams take the plaudits. Lets keep bridging that gap between those in a playoff spot and those that aren't - and hopefully before anyone takes us seriously we have already racked up enough points to take a "worst case scenario" playoff spot. 

• Like 2

As visible inside the HX postcode as we've been since we were last in the league, though. I'm hoping for more 2,000 crowds, but the South and East Stands look like they're beginning to bloom when there are more in them than the standard 1,300 of yore.

I wish the Harrogate game was the Tuesday after because I could have gone. 

Oh well, at least I'll get to watch the Dover game. I might even have a couple of pints of lemonade.

It’s a similar start that we’ve had in previous seasons, but this year it does feel different. It’s a little annoying not getting any credit when we are clearly doing so well, but at the same time, the more teams underestimate us the easier it makes our task.

Early days still, but I do think we have a real shot at a top 7 finish. Early on you could argue that we’d only played that bottom teams, but we’ve now beaten teams in and around the top too - Barnet would have overtaken us with a win today.

Edited by riccardo259

I struggle when we say we’ve only played bottom teams.

before the season started, surely Fylde, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Solihull, Yeovil, Barnet, Notts, Chesterfield would be anyone’s pick for either winning the title or being in the play offs. We’ve played the strongest squads at times when admittedly some hadn’t found their feet.

Some of these will be changing managers very soon and all will find form whilst I hope and expect a lot of the unfancied teams will hopefully get found out.

if we keep our form, the only team I fear is Yeovil, I think we can maintain a gap to all the others listed above and many of them are in the bottom because we played a part in putting them there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Oscar Mc said:

I struggle when we say we’ve only played bottom teams.

before the season started, surely Fylde, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Solihull, Yeovil, Barnet, Notts, Chesterfield would be anyone’s pick for either winning the title or being in the play offs. We’ve played the strongest squads at times when admittedly some hadn’t found their feet.

Some of these will be changing managers very soon and all will find form whilst I hope and expect a lot of the unfancied teams will hopefully get found out.

if we keep our form, the only team I fear is Yeovil, I think we can maintain a gap to all the others listed above and many of them are in the bottom because we played a part in putting them there.

Yeovil´s performance against us was the best they have played for 3/4 years according to their comms team.

The other difference is that we are playing  well and scoring goals. Its a joy to watch as opposed to the squeaky 1-0 wins and hanging on by the skin of our teeth in previous years . 

The key differences this season are the goalscoring - from all parts of the team - and the improved disciplinary record

The Nationa;l League has many teams with experience and are generally solid but struggle for goals - ;look at the misses by Pavey yesterday and Quigley for Dag/Red 

and the referees at this level often struggle as they come up from lower leagues with the experienced gamesmanship of NL players coming down from the EFL; and can be influenced by reputation; so our good record gives us another edge

Squad depth (other then cover for Brown) is also much stronger this year

Playoffs a realistic hope

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Broncos777 said:

The key differences this season are the goalscoring - from all parts of the team - and the improved disciplinary record

The Nationa;l League has many teams with experience and are generally solid but struggle for goals - ;look at the misses by Pavey yesterday and Quigley for Dag/Red 

and the referees at this level often struggle as they come up from lower leagues with the experienced gamesmanship of NL players coming down from the EFL; and can be influenced by reputation; so our good record gives us another edge

Squad depth (other then cover for Brown) is also much stronger this year

Playoffs a realistic hope

Agree we have a broader squad this year. I don’t think we really know what our best team actually is, while the defence would be reasonably settled on Johnson, Ducky, Brown, Clarke and Binnom-Williams, most of the other places seem up for grabs. Take Jeff King for example, what an intelligent little footballer we have there, no idea his best position I reckon he could pay anywhere except keeper and centre back. His brother Cameron isn’t guaranteed a place, leading scorer McAlinden isn’t either. Cooper had a great game yesterday, Nolan never stops working, TSS the same. The key always is when players are injured or suspended, who comes in and what sort of job can they do, with this squad we seem to have a range of options, we haven’t had this for a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Yeovil´s performance against us was the best they have played for 3/4 years according to their comms team.

Notts County fan said that too on the walk back to town after last week :blink: that said he also had a go at our wonderful away kit so what does his opinion count for eh?!

• Like 2