Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

20th September 1989: Middlesborough (League Cup)

I was there unfortunately , we had a poor record in the league cup but it was great to draw a big club , I wonder what the attendance was it looked quite full , I think away support was around 40 , we were in the corner behind a floodlight at the seated end behind the goal .

Had some big games in that competition , Spurs , Man U , Derby County , when clubs took it seriously .

Went to Darlington and Hartlepool on numerous occasions which were not very welcoming places at the best of times but Middlesbrough on a week night was a different level .

One bright spark thought he would make up his own song with reference to the Cleveland child abuse inquiry which was in the news around that time .

Leaving the ground could only be compared to the Michael Caine 1969 classic film "Zulu".

7 minutes ago, monk said:

Went to Darlington and Hartlepool on numerous occasions which were not very welcoming places at the best of times but Middlesbrough on a week night was a different level .

One bright spark thought he would make up his own song with reference to the Cleveland child abuse inquiry which was in the news around that time .

Leaving the ground could only be compared to the Michael Caine 1969 classic film "Zulu".

Full day on beer helped but it wasn't as bad as Tottenham.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

Not wearing any colours up there was the difference between returning home safely or being transferred to a hospital nearer home .

37 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

17 minutes ago, Twisted Wheel said:

The raid on the North Yorkshire off-licence was a sight to behold.

That must have been Eddie and his mate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Twisted Wheel said:

The raid on the North Yorkshire off-licence was a sight to behold.

When the off - licencee realised it was a 24 pack of Skol he dropped the charges.

13 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

Not guilty on that one...

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Went in the Middlesbrough end for this one,  got refused at the first gate because I opened my big mouth, so had to go through at the other side of the ground

Must have been Bollox , 24 cans of Skol and he goes in the home end .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eddies mate said:

Yes, frightening experience at White Hart Lane. I remember filing out with a long walk back to the coach and keeping my head down.

11 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Yes, frightening experience at White Hart Lane. I remember filing out with a long walk back to the coach and keeping my head down.

A copper had his head chopped off around that time at Tottenham court so getting mouthy on way back to coach wasn't advisable.....

1 hour ago, monk said:

Must have been Bollox , 24 cans of Skol and he goes in the home end .

No drinking, I'm a Middlesbrough fan but watching the Halifax 'quality' midfield playing like strangers was hard to stomach . 

Spurs away...what an evening that was....

One Paddock for Town fans behind the goal......very few shaymen….by kick off over 500 in it - 400 spurs.....

Funny thing was when you went for a coffee/pie...spurs bootboys stood there - asking you questions to hear your accent...they realised you were Yorkshire born and bred and fists were flying!!!

Then that long walk back to coach in near darkness - what we do to be - Shaymen away...………...

If you haven't taken a punch or a kick following the Shaymen then your not a proper fan , infact it got so bad in them days some fans left the country .

24 minutes ago, monk said:

If you haven't taken a punch or a kick following the Shaymen then your not a proper fan , infact it got so bad in them days some fans left the country .

A Darlington fan once threw a pie at me, does that count?

1 hour ago, Shaymus said:

A Darlington fan once threw a pie at me, does that count?

Yes it does , but it does suprise me somebody from the North East parted with their food .

My back catalogue consists of Huddersfield , Burnley and North Shields .

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Think Conrad got nicked when they stopped a coach after the stop in North Yorkshire

Had a hunch it was him , Conrad Ayscough , that lad was a character , should do a piece in the programme "Where are they now" , Conrad went from us to Carslise then a two year contract at Huddersfield .

15 hours ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Town take a tonking! Appalling record in the League Cup. 

I went to the game. Good following from Town but a poor performance. I too can remember some of the Town fans ransacking a shop in Thirsk (if I remember rightly.) A couple of years later I worked over in Leeds and got chatting to fellow colleague who supported Leeds. I mentioned I was from Halifax and he said "I once bumped into some Halifax Town fans in Thirsk. They were a right set of rogues!!"

Anyway, I do remember Boro fans waiting for Town fans and it was a shady place with all those terraced house and yes, slightly reminiscent of "Get Carter." We were thankfully never in any danger though.

The home game saw a coach load of REAL hooligans turn up in town looking for their Halifax counterparts after the game.

I wasn't there but a few old friends were and Graham, the Man U landlord from Griff's, locked the doors to keep them out.

Built like brick out houses was one description of the Boro hoolies.

19 hours ago, monk said:

I was there unfortunately , we had a poor record in the league cup but it was great to draw a big club , I wonder what the attendance was it looked quite full , I think away support was around 40 , we were in the corner behind a floodlight at the seated end behind the goal .

Had some big games in that competition , Spurs , Man U , Derby County , when clubs took it seriously .

More than 40 Monk. There was about 40 on our coach. Didn't we take a couple of coaches too?

On 9/20/2019 at 6:48 AM, monk said:

Definitely more than 40 on our coach so don't know where u got that amount from can't remember how many we took but I would say in the hundreds

2 minutes ago, FCHT15 said:

Definitely more than 40 on our coach so don't know where u got that amount from can't remember how many we took but I would say in the hundreds

We were allocated a tiny bit of terracing in the corner with a floodlight in the middle adjacent to  the seats behind the goal  it looked like a sparse away following to me but it was 30 years ago so I could be wrong but it wasn't over 100.