Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

Dayle Southwell

8 hours ago, fchtnico1 said:

Personally think he could be exactly what is missing at the moment and will help and be helped playing with Sho-Silva. It wouldn't work him coming in as a replacement for Sho-Silva but if Wild can find away to play both together it could be a great partnership. 

Fullarton didn't know how to get the best out of any forward thinking player last season (Rodney aside he Duku was brought in at the same time) 

I agree. Southwell could add some pace to our attack if used along side someone who can play him in.

At this point last season he had scored 4 goals & was then shunted out wide right, never understood why :wacko:

If you don't play a striker in his best position, you will not get the best out of him.

Get him along side Tobi or McAlinden & he will prove a much better player than many think he is.

We have two or three players capable of scoring 10+ goals this season & a few more who could add 5+ each, just need someone to chip in with 15+ & we will be in the hunt for promo.

Spread the scoring around a bit like we have up to now & it will cause concerns for our opponents. Easier to mark 1 player out of a game, but not too easy if others step up to the mark.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greygoose said:

The truth on Southwell is he was no better than Edwards/Preston last season. Had he not been contracted he would have been released.

I keep seeing this comment, but Edwards was contracted too. Being on a contract does not mean that he can’t be transferred out.

Only one way we will find out... His overall record suggests he might have it in him. If he plays and scores he will quickly be a hero, no goals and he will be back to Conference North. Wild will only play him if he thinks he has something to offer. 

Thanks for all the feedback people :)

Agree with what's being said he didn't get enough goals for a striker, but with the few chances he was presented with he didn't ever seem to miss or I have I got tinted specs on? With the aide of re-watching highlights warped my memory? 

Rodney and to to a lesser extent Duku did 'show him up' slightly but as others have pointed out they came into a side that had a "fully fit" King playing good football and James Ferry. 

It'd be great if he can fit into our system but I have serious doubts . On a equally sad note, I'm not convinced it's going to work out for Josh MacDonald 

I challenge them both to prove me wrong because I believe both could play football league

29 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

It'd be great if he can fit into our system but I have serious doubts . On a equally sad note, I'm not convinced it's going to work out for Josh MacDonald 

I challenge them both to prove me wrong because I believe both could play football league

Southwell has tried it in the football league and it didn’t work. I don’t think Josh MAC will go into the football league unless he starts scoring and getting more assists. 

Both players have been out injured for a while a won’t come back the same but I just hope they both take their chance and help the team 

20 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

Imagine either josh Mac or Danny Williams will get the start tommorow, as it appears that Jamie Allan will be our with injury. Can deffo see Southwell on bench tommrow.

Is it Friday? :huh:

15 hours ago, Macam blue said:

I agree. Southwell could add some pace to our attack if used along side someone who can play him in.

At this point last season he had scored 4 goals & was then shunted out wide right, never understood why :wacko:

If you don't play a striker in his best position, you will not get the best out of him.

Get him along side Tobi or McAlinden & he will prove a much better player than many think he is.

We have two or three players capable of scoring 10+ goals this season & a few more who could add 5+ each, just need someone to chip in with 15+ & we will be in the hunt for promo.

Spread the scoring around a bit like we have up to now & it will cause concerns for our opponents. Easier to mark 1 player out of a game, but not too easy if others step up to the mark.

I think your are mistaking what some of us are saying Macam. I dont think we question his overall abilities as a player, he shows grit and determination but he is not a naturally gifted goal scorer. I have always believed over the years of playing and watching football that at all levels of football there are those players who on occasions seem to bring nothing to the game other than to be in the right place at the right time, its a the 6th sense as it were. And its gold dust. They are out there, Pete and his backroom people just need to go and find one.

Just now, Papa Lazarou said:

Love how people are writing players off without any sort of contribution this season. 

The same ones who were writing off Gregory because he wasn’t vardy 

give the guys time 

we are scoring,, our problem is we are conceding easier than last year..  Maher injured is the difference again written off by many know it alls on here

two of our three losses happened when the opposition went down to 10 men

No guarantees with either Southwell or J Mac but they have to be given the chance to prove their worth, if they don't take the opportunity then fair enough have a go, until then they deserve the managers & our support.

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Hope the lad turns out to be our own  Damian Reeves

Difficult to assess Southwell from last season's efforts, Horsefields first tenure with us never suggested he would become the player he turned out to be. Correct manager correct environment can make a vast difference.

5 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

I think your are mistaking what some of us are saying Macam. I dont think we question his overall abilities as a player, he shows grit and determination but he is not a naturally gifted goal scorer. I have always believed over the years of playing and watching football that at all levels of football there are those players who on occasions seem to bring nothing to the game other than to be in the right place at the right time, its a the 6th sense as it were. And its gold dust. They are out there, Pete and his backroom people just need to go and find one.

I understand what you mean Archie. It is an inbuilt sense in most good strikers. The ability to be in the right place at the right time. Not questioning anyone's opinion, just feel that given the right formation & played in the forward position we will see a different player.

As I said previously, he scored 4 goals when played as a striker early last season (admittedly 1 was a pen) but moved to the wing too soon in the campaign by the Manager.

Strikers don't score many goals when played on the wing. Get him in the box more & its a different scenario. 

We will just have to see what Pete Wild views as his best position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Difficult to assess Southwell from last season's efforts, Horsefields first tenure with us never suggested he would become the player he turned out to be. Correct manager correct environment can make a vast difference.

I always thought Horsefield was a stable signing.