Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

Dayle Southwell

I know he's been discussed in a recent thread but I've lost track of where it is! 

Was thinking about Southwell's performances last season and the little service he seemed to receive. 

Would anyone else agree that when in and around the box the ball tended to end up in the back of the net? I can't think of many chances he missed? 

Agree but fear it's too late, the experts have deemed him not good enough. A bit like Caragher and Gary Neville writing Stones off on Sky, he may or may not be good enough for Man City or England but talk about ability assassination, pillocks the pair of them.

16 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

I know he's been discussed in a recent thread but I've lost track of where it is! 

Was thinking about Southwell's performances last season and the little service he seemed to receive. 

Would anyone else agree that when in and around the box the ball tended to end up in the back of the net? I can't think of many chances he missed? 

No don't agree he scored 4 in 34 from open play which tells you all you need to know. When Rodney came in he got 7 in 12 with the same team mates/manager/system.

I keep saying it but its true that players get better when injured. The truth on Southwell is he was no better than Edwards/Preston last season. Had he not been contracted he would have been released.

I will be nice to have another option for sure and he could of course prove me wrong, though in the current system i dont see how he starts?

• Like 2

No. I don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as he used to be. He’s ineffective, didn’t score many at all (service wasn’t the best I know) and he’s too lightweight imo. 

He has been injured for ages so won’t come back as strong as he was previously so he will already be behind in that sense and if we play him upfront on his own it simply won’t work with how we play. 

Now im not writing him off straight away as I hope he does well but I’d like to see him up from in a front two with Sho-Silva or another striker. 

He will be like a new signing and hope he does well. Good luck Dayle 

Personally think he could be exactly what is missing at the moment and will help and be helped playing with Sho-Silva. It wouldn't work him coming in as a replacement for Sho-Silva but if Wild can find away to play both together it could be a great partnership. 

Fullarton didn't know how to get the best out of any forward thinking player last season (Rodney aside he Duku was brought in at the same time) 

2 hours ago, greygoose said:

No don't agree he scored 4 in 34 from open play which tells you all you need to know. When Rodney came in he got 7 in 12 with the same team mates/manager/system.

I keep saying it but its true that players get better when injured. The truth on Southwell is he was no better than Edwards/Preston last season. Had he not been contracted he would have been released.

I will be nice to have another option for sure and he could of course prove me wrong, though in the current system i dont see how he starts?

Not the same team Rodney had  king and the other guy in mid field plus a decent strike partner

So three players Southwell never had 

so it’s nit the same team and not the same tactics 

11 minutes ago, Nick said:

Not the same team Rodney had  king and the other guy in mid field plus a decent strike partner

Duku was the striker that came with Rodney & to be fair he did ok for us but nothing too special, dont think he's scored for Torquay yet? 

Your making excuses for Southwell Nick, are you telling me that in his 34 games last season he didn't play with King? Hardy played about a game with Rodney as i remember so mot much difference in team mates. 

The tactics didnt really change, what changed was Rodney was a threat with his pace movement ect, most of his goals were his own making.

Southwell deserves his chance under Wild, but its more in hope than expectation that he can prove last seasons poor form was the team around him rather than himself.

4 hours ago, greygoose said:

How many chances on goal did he have?

Different strikers have different strengths. Long ball was not Southwell's strength. 

Whereas you could hit it over the top to Rodney and Duku as they had the pace to play that way. 

I personally think Southwell gets more stick than he warrents. You can't score if you don't have chances to

Edited by Greggs

2 hours ago, fchtnico1 said:

Personally think he could be exactly what is missing at the moment and will help and be helped playing with Sho-Silva. It wouldn't work him coming in as a replacement for Sho-Silva but if Wild can find away to play both together it could be a great partnership. 

Fullarton didn't know how to get the best out of any forward thinking player last season (Rodney aside he Duku was brought in at the same time) 

Why can't Southwell and Mcalinden play together? 

Silva isn't a goal threat consistently enough. 

5 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

You'd have to go 4 4 2. Would we be over run in midfield? 

Wouldn't that be the same if Southwell and Silva played together? 

21 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Why can't Southwell and Mcalinden play together? 

Silva isn't a goal threat consistently enough. 

I'm sure they could, just sliva seems to be favourite at the moment 

8 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Wouldn't that be the same if Southwell and Silva played together? 

Yes. My point is the formation. I think we need holding midfielders to look after our centre halves. The only way I can see this fitting is if we go 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3.

Several times last season, going right back as far as November, and without wishing to pull the lad down, I pointed out that statistically Dayle is not a "deadly" goal getter. If there are those out there that still think his return to team duties will be the answer to our striker issues then I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings cos he's not. I hate sounding as though I'm constantly having a go at him and I wish him good luck on his return, but to expect him to be majorly different to last season is a pipe dream. We have a really good squad at present, and I'm pretty sure that Dayle will add to that squad in some capacity, like for like with Sho-Silva perhaps. Real strikers are a very rare commodity that's why they cost the big bucks, if our team as augmented with a real quality striker, a 15/20 goal a season man the I might get excited about our prospects.

One other thing that drives me crazy these days:- Is it against some law or other that no-one actually is prepared to take a shot on these days. It seems that everyone wants to walk the ball into the net, just every now and then take a punt, you just never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

How many chances on goal did he have?

Different strikers have different strengths. Long ball was not Southwell's strength. 

Whereas you could hit it over the top to Rodney and Duku as they had the pace to play that way. 

I personally think Southwell gets more stick than he warrents. You can't score if you don't have chances to

He had chances, in 34 games as a striker its impossible not too. Can you tell me what Southwell's strengths are then? 

Considering the unfair stick you used to dish out to Denton i'm amazed how your defending our current number 9s poor return.

3 hours ago, Nick said:

Also Rodney played in a front 2, Southwell found himself as a No.10 more often than not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greygoose said:

He had chances, in 34 games as a striker its impossible not too. Can you tell me what Southwell's strengths are then? 

Considering the unfair stick you used to dish out to Denton i'm amazed how your defending our current number 9s poor return.

For me Southwells strengths based on his you tune video and his goals at Guiseley are getting in the penalty area and working off another striker 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

For me Southwells strengths based on his you tune video and his goals at Guiseley are getting in the penalty area and working off another striker 

He needs a foil.

Now I am sure the Experts will put me right. But we are playing the same formation as last season 4-2-3-1, although thankfully sometimes going 4-4-2. Southwell last year wasn’t strong enough for the One up front and when played wide right in the Three wasn’t fast enough, in the middle of the Three didn’t seem interested. What position will he play in this years 4-2-3-1 formation and how will the outcome be different?

14 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Now I am sure the Experts will put me right. But we are playing the same formation as last season 4-2-3-1, although thankfully sometimes going 4-4-2. Southwell last year wasn’t strong enough for the One up front and when played wide right in the Three wasn’t fast enough, in the middle of the Three didn’t seem interested. What position will he play in this years 4-2-3-1 formation and how will the outcome be different?

Maybe a change to 4 4 2 when needed? It's all about options and variations 

23 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Which makes me think, in hindsight, he was the wrong type of striker to sign. We needed a striker that could play up top on his own.

I would think he's in a decent wage too.

Back to this season, the wide men are better than last year and shod offer better support and hopefully create more chances. Also, the midfield isn't staying as rigid and as deep, at times, so there's more support there.

Just my opinion.