Supporters Club Meeting, Pete Wild

Nick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

Any news on the meeting?

Meeting was good. Both Pete and Chris come across really well. 

Nothing "secret squirrel" however there are certain aspects of things spoke about that Pete requested was not repeated out of the room.

Off the top of my head the things I think are OK to be repeated -

He wants to bring in one more player, but only wants a squad of 20 ideally. That's his call as he doesn't want to be managing unhappy players who wont be playing.

We train Mon/Thur/Fri when playing on just Saturday in a week, with one of those days being an optional day for the players (but almost all are turning up at all sessions). Whilst its a hybrid full time set up he doesn't feel its much different from "proper" full time. If players don't come for the optional day they have to report in with gym work reports and the likes.  

The defensive set up at corners is due to how the players themselves felt they liked to set up going on last years record at defending them. Pete came out with a stat of 0.2% of defended corners turn into scoring corners for the defending team so justified going with what the players felt they were more comfortable with. 

Will be taking the cups seriously. Pete wants us to draw Oldham in the cup and stuff them. 

4 minutes ago, Flea said:

Nothing "secret squirrel" however there are certain aspects of things spoke about that Pete requested was not repeated out of the room.

He wants to bring in one more player, but only wants a squad of 20 ideally. That's his call as he doesn't want to be managing unhappy players who wont be playing.

We train Mon/Thur/Fri when playing on just Saturday in a week, with one of those days being an optional day for the players (but almost all are turning up at all sessions). Whilst its a hybrid full time set up he doesn't feel its much different from "proper" full time. If players don't come for the optional day they have to report in with gym work reports and the likes.  

The defensive set up at corners is due to how the players themselves felt they liked to set up going on last years record at defending them. Pete came out with a stat of 0.2% of defended corners turn into scoring corners for the defending team so justified going with what the players felt they were more comfortable with. 

Will be taking the cups seriously. Pete wants us to draw Oldham in the cup and stuff them. 

Any particular reason in your mind of why he wants to keep it quiet? 

8 minutes ago, Flea said:

Well i'm glad someone adked the question. But just looking at the answer on here i can't understand the answer? 

7 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

Any particular reason in your mind of why he wants to keep it quiet? 

Just stuff about how we set up, or how long players are out for, or what areas he thinks we need to work on. 

Nothing sinister, however he has admitted that he and Chris have learnt from other clubs fans forums when some players weren't 100% fit etc... as the info told in the QnA nights then got put online for them to read. 

16 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Well i'm glad someone adked the question. But just looking at the answer on here i can't understand the answer? 

No one asked the question, he kind of said he expected it to come up so answered it on the back of another one.

Basically, Pete and Chris spoke with the players to ask them what they felt went well last year, and what they felt didn't go well, in regards to structure in game. The players thought that part of the 19/20 clean sheets from last season was helped by everyone being back at corners and it was an area that they all felt comfortable with.

They tried leaving one player, then two players up in some sessions, then agreed that the players preferred the model used last year. Whilst this system could change later down the line, Pete and Chris look keen to engage the players with their thoughts and ideas too and to go with their suggestions when they feel it is better suited. This is one of them where as a unit it feels we are in a good place with and that working on different areas are probably of more worth at the moment.

The stat about 0.2% of defending teams scoring (So that would be by leaving a man/men up and hitting them on the counter) was given to show that keeping 1 or 2 up only really helped towards scoring a goal 1 in 500 times. Obviously, the fear of having the ball cleared only to be recycled by the attacking team is still there, however Pete gave his and the teams rational for the decision. It appears its what everyone feels most comfortable with, so I can't say I disagree with the thinking even if visionally and ideally I'd like to have a "better" attacking outlet in those situations. 

What came out from Pete is that its a team effort here and he values the input and opinions on the players and if they (or the coaches/advisers etc...) have ideas or opinions on how things can be improved, or work better for them, he is more than happy to try them. In the corner situation, the results speak for themselves from last year so he seems content to keep the status quo on it. 

3 minutes ago, Flea said:

No one asked the question, he kind of said he expected it to come up so answered it on the back of another one.

Basically, Pete and Chris spoke with the players to ask them what they felt went well last year, and what they felt didn't go well, in regards to structure in game. The players thought that part of the 19/20 clean sheets from last season was helped by everyone being back at corners and it was an area that they all felt comfortable with.

They tried leaving one player, then two players up in some sessions, then agreed that the players preferred the model used last year. Whilst this system could change later down the line, Pete and Chris look keen to engage the players with their thoughts and ideas too and to go with their suggestions when they feel it is better suited. This is one of them where as a unit it feels we are in a good place with and that working on different areas are probably of more worth at the moment.

The stat about 0.2% of defending teams scoring (So that would be by leaving a man/men up and hitting them on the counter) was given to show that keeping 1 or 2 up only really helped towards scoring a goal 1 in 500 times. Obviously, the fear of having the ball cleared only to be recycled by the attacking team is still there, however Pete gave his and the teams rational for the decision. It appears its what everyone feels most comfortable with, so I can't say I disagree with the thinking even if visionally and ideally I'd like to have a "better" attacking outlet in those situations. 

What came out from Pete is that its a team effort here and he values the input and opinions on the players and if they (or the coaches/advisers etc...) have ideas or opinions on how things can be improved, or work better for them, he is more than happy to try them. In the corner situation, the results speak for themselves from last year so he seems content to keep the status quo on it. 

Rocking All Over The World or Sweet Caroline?

21 minutes ago, Flea said:

If its the players who feel comfortable with doing it this way then thats fair enough. It doesnt make for comfortable viewing at times but the players have to feel comfortable to perform. 

I like how he kind of knew what was likely to come with some of the questions shows he's on the beat and knows what he's talking about. 

The football on show has been sparkling at times with a real willingness to outscore the opposition and worry about our own game and not someone elses. We can't really have any complaints.

Really enjoyed it tonight and they came across as very honest, down to earth and decent blokes who don't mind a laugh too.,

yeah ah he asked that certain things don't leave the room but it's not ultra top secret information, it's just that he doesn't want opposition managers knowing how he sets up. 

I think it shows the level of honesty and trust he shows in people, fans, most definitely his players as he listens to their thoughts and opinions. 

He also confirmed Josh Mac is fully fit and it's upto him to force his way into the team. Also Southwell is back in full training this week and they are impressed and excited by him. 

One thing they both said is that they want to play good football and that in trying to do so mistakes and misplaced passes will happen so don't jump on players back, it's part and parcel if football and I agree. It's also 5th tier footy and they're human, we all balls things up. 

Wild even admitted they got it wrong on Saturday but will learn from it. The honesty is really good and there's no more gobbledygook phrases, bull$*it and smart ar$e answer like the previous regime. 

I really like these 2 blokes and I'm excited and confident they will bring us some very good days. 

Big Sam looks more comfortable at corners with less players in the box . You can use every stat in the book, if we leave two men on the half way line our opponents have to leave three defenders back . That's four players less in the box and means the attacking team can only have a maximum of six players in attack to our nine in defence .

7 hours ago, Flea said:

Thanks for the comprehensive insight Flea.  As you would expect, the manager and the players know exactly why they are doing what they are doing.  The stats provide some pretty overwhelming evidence (both our defensive record last season plus results this season and the 0.2% point) that their knowledge converts into good outcomes. 

On a wider point, I know well  current professional sportsmen from a range of different sports, plus some football coaches (all ex players) some who work at non league level, with others at premier league academies.   And no. I am not a wannabe, it just happens that work and family connections have created those links and in most instances we rarely talk sport. One common thing they describe, regardless of the sport, is that they don't enjoy being spectator.   Firstly because they want to be involved and then particularly because it involves listening to reactions and views from people who don't have their level insight and perspective.  Yes, you pay your money and you have your say and part of the reason of going to football is that discussion between like minded fans.  But, to assume you have spotted something that the managers, the captains and the teams haven't does feel a bit niaive. 

http://fchalifaxtown.com/?post_type=news&p=63816

Very interesting Q & A and learnt a lot we did not know. Seem a good team ( the shaymen version of the Cowley brothers) and bounce well off each other. Their hunger and desire to learn and succeed was evident to all present last night and their passion is highly commendable. and this will in time i'm sure rub off onto the players and backroom staff. They are on a continual l earning curve and admit they have / will make mistakes but will learn from these and improve their methods.

7 minutes ago, chadders said:

http://fchalifaxtown.com/?post_type=news&p=63816

Very interesting Q & A and learnt a lot we did not know. Seem a good team ( the shaymen version of the Cowley brothers) and bounce well off each other. Their hunger and desire to learn and succeed was evident to all present last night and their passion is highly commendable. and this will in time i'm sure rub off onto the players and backroom staff. They are on a continual l earning curve and admit they have / will make mistakes but will learn from these and improve their methods.

Anyone ask about Devante Rodney? 

Not saying we need Rodney but after a good spell woth us and his name always cropping up i wondered if he had been told about him and was there any interest etc. I cant see him making it at Salford,  they want instant success, not doing great now, they will strengthen again as soon as they can

57 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Not saying we need Rodney but after a good spell woth us and his name always cropping up i wondered if he had been told about him and was there any interest etc. I cant see him making it at Salford,  they want instant success, not doing great now, they will strengthen again as soon as they can

Rodney is perhaps one for the future, if things don't work out for him and if Town need another striker. With TSS, Allen Lian and Southwell all able to play up front we seem to be sorted at the moment. I have a feeling Southwell might take the bull by the horns this season and he could have found a manager that will encourage him in his role. Also, he'll have more support that he had last season because our midfield will be playing further forward and he has much better players playing on the flanks.

Going back to Dave, might be worth an enquiry in the new year depending on what's mentioned above and where we are in the table 

On 9/11/2019 at 12:38 AM, shaymen down under said:

Really think Southwell can bring something to this team. We are set up this year to play in a way that suits him. Really hope he gets a chance and takes it with both hands. 

Disagree, the only way Southwell can succeed is if he plays up along side some like Silva because he doesn't have a physical presence, were currently playing a system based on 1 up front so i the only option would be him instead of Tobi which imo wont work.

36 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Disagree, the only way Southwell can succeed is if he plays up along side some like Silva because he doesn't have a physical presence, were currently playing a system based on 1 up front so i the only option would be him instead of Tobi which imo wont work.

If we launch it in air like Yeovil then you are probably right, but into feet like majority of season so far and Southwell is quite strong and skilful and I think his link up play with other similar players like Allen, king and macalinden could really work. I do like TSS though.

43 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

If we launch it in air like Yeovil then you are probably right, but into feet like majority of season so far and Southwell is quite strong and skilful and I think his link up play with other similar players like Allen, king and macalinden could really work. I do like TSS though.

Never had a chance to shine last season, used as a target man with no support, lost his desire due to being played incorrectly. Most games he had to come back to the halfway line to pick up the ball, he is a goal area player & will score if played in correctly.

Archived