Chesterfield today

Nick

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Those clubs may have the cash but the players have to be available, and be willing to step down to the Conference. The type of character tempted by this may not necessarily improve the dressing room even if, on paper, they should improve the team.

I don't think the club will surpass 97/98 until and unless they get to tier 3 again. At the time it was that big a deal. This BoD doesn't have a crumbling stadium, skeletons, bad debts, shareholders sniping from the wings, bad juju in Calderdale, low support. They don't face having to build two new stands just because the manager has delivered an unexpectedly good start to the season. The boardroom doesn't look like the inside of a badly maintained portacabin. The entertaining facilities don't look like the inside of a badly maintained social club on a cheap coastal caravan site. The club in 1997 performed a miracle.

People forget that the Conference in 1997 included Woking, Kidderminster, Stevenage, Southport, Hereford, Gateshead and Morecambe, all strong, competitive clubs with reasonable crowds. Most remember Rushden and Cheltenham because they were our rivals for the title, but it has to be remembered that 17 of the sides in that league had finished above Town the previous year, one had been relegated from the League and was expected to mount a strong challenge, and three had been promoted into the Conference and had the potential to do well. As I said, it's all relative.

It is relative, you're right and there pros and cons for both sides.

As I ran on the pitch (very near but not quite) at the end of the Stevenage game last game of 97, I was just happy that the club would continue for another season the following season. If we'd gone down to the National North equivalent then that would probably have been it.

What happened the following year was magical. Everything fell into place in a way that they do in drama and not in reality. 

Yes there were great individuals but the way they played as a team and with a smile on their face was a joy to watch and something I'll never forget.

If Town won the league this season I would be over the moon and it could potentially be a bigger achievement but it will never mean as much as it did that season.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'd have to go a long way to beat the success of 98. Avoided relegation the previous season, 66-1 outsiders with a ground that wasn't football league ready at the start of the season. And to answer the statement that we don't have the luxury of a player destined for the Premier League - who knows which players in this current squad are destined for greater success at a higher level. Many of them have lots of time on their side. 

On 9/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, AJS said:

Sitting back was definitely a tactical decision as Wild was constantly encouraging us to press in the first half and in the second he was pretty quiet and just seemed to watch on.

Well that is not what he says in his post match interviews 

so definitely NOT a tactical decision 

more a player decision 

I think Cameron King will go far. His intuition and control is at least football league quality.
Considering that none of us thought that Jamie Vardy or Andre Gray would make it to the Premier League I really don't think any of our players have that level of talent.
Our success is down to the team effort, just like in 2005/2006. We had many routes of attack through Killeen, Forrest, Grant, Sugden, Senior, Foster. None of them really had lift off. John Grant did the best of the bunch and became an Aldershot legend. Haslam had a few good seasons at Bury. For everyone else, that was their peak, but for that one season their different abilities complemented each other.  You don't necessarily need the next superstars in your swuad, and besides I think the best non-league talents are often being poached away from this level before they've even had a full season thanks to the success of Vardy, Gray, Gayle, Smalling etc.

3 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

I think Cameron King will go far. His intuition and control is at least football league quality.
Considering that none of us thought that Jamie Vardy or Andre Gray would make it to the Premier League I really don't think any of our players have that level of talent.
Our success is down to the team effort, just like in 2005/2006. We had many routes of attack through Killeen, Forrest, Grant, Sugden, Senior, Foster. None of them really had lift off. John Grant did the best of the bunch and became an Aldershot legend. Haslam had a few good seasons at Bury. For everyone else, that was their peak, but for that one season their different abilities complemented each other.  You don't necessarily need the next superstars in your swuad, and besides I think the best non-league talents are often being poached away from this level before they've even had a full season thanks to the success of Vardy, Gray, Gayle, Smalling etc.

Sweeping statement there.  Work colleagues will confirm i said Vardy would eventually play for England when we we were unibond.

When he was banging them in for Fleetwood I thought Vardy would just about make it at Championship level but play no higher than that. When he left us, I wasn't sure. No matter how good a striker appears at glue league level you have no idea how they'll fare against better defenders. 

Then in 2014 I remember seeing Danny Lowe post on twitter, wondering why Vardy wasn't in the England squad whereas Theo Walcott was. He listed that Vardy is both-footed, rapid, stronger and better at heading. Makes sense now. At the time though, Leicester were struggling and despite raising a few eyebrows with a man of the match performance in a victory over Manchester United, it wasn't apparent that Vardy could finish like for that supreme goal he scored last weekend. 

What I'm saying is, I shouldn't have generalised based on how I and many others saw it, and you have a good eye! 

On 9/2/2019 at 11:55 AM, Erik Everhard said:

Tranmere played football on't deck. No stars in the side but a reasonably good team.

Lincoln. played to their strengths, 

, Rhead. An improvement side but again no stand out players.

If you look back at the winners of this league since we won it in 98, neither would come near a top five.

I think Town would be in the top five. Our all round team was superb. We also had a future Premier League striker and some experienced players that had played a good level.

I think I'd put Fleetwood in a top 5. Good side with the best player to play non league up front.

I'd probably choose Burton Albion as another team in a top five. Another good all round side with Darryl Clare being their talisman.

Chris Wilders play off winners at Oxford? 

The Luton league winners?

I'd be interested to hear other suggestions.

7 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

3 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

When he was banging them in for Fleetwood I thought Vardy would just about make it at Championship level but play no higher than that. When he left us, I wasn't sure. No matter how good a striker appears at glue league level you have no idea how they'll fare against better defenders. 

Then in 2014 I remember seeing Danny Lowe post on twitter, wondering why Vardy wasn't in the England squad whereas Theo Walcott was. He listed that Vardy is both-footed, rapid, stronger and better at heading. Makes sense now. At the time though, Leicester were struggling and despite raising a few eyebrows with a man of the match performance in a victory over Manchester United, it wasn't apparent that Vardy could finish like for that supreme goal he scored last weekend. 

What I'm saying is, I shouldn't have generalised based on how I and many others saw it, and you have a good eye! 

I knew Vardy was The Greatest Baller. I had ever seen and I used to tell people watch this guy play he is Unbelievable and they just said blahhh blaahhh....But I will admit I didn't think he would be A True Legend and achieve what he as...I still look out for him and he just gets better  and long may it continue. ☺#VardyArmy 

20 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I don't remember, did Vardy ever play for us ?

8 hours ago, Shaymen Stats said:

He played against us once I think? 

Who knows where he'd be if our club hadn't give him a shot. 

Can't remember him playing against us....Not sure where he would be..But so glad we had him Best Ever Player I've seen down Shay and a joy to watch

3 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Not a lot of people know that he did, maybe history will erase his golden year at The Shay

Got to agree that people don't know about his time with us...But very much doubt his time with us will be erased....Because he was amazing 

Archived