Sign in to follow this  
Ash

Pete Wild

Fylde are going to struggle from here on in because Blackpool FC are back. They are currently unbeaten this season and there were over 10,000 there on Saturday against Portsmouth. There aren`t enough spectators around Fylde to support Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Preston, Bamber Bridge etc for a sustainable club. Their bubble is close to bursting and they won`t be able to carry on paying mega money to the likes of Rowe, Kosylo etc. 

Challinor is also close to the drop. The chairman will not countenance indifferent performances and the league position very soon.

DB is tight. Yes. But if a player comes to us he knows he is going to get paid every month and in todays climate that is a massive draw. Look at Michael Duckworth. Last season he was hawking himself all over the place to get a better deal, but this year, he has got a brand new baby and so he is accepting reality. It is better to have a bird in the hand than two in the bush. And that is fantastic news for us cos he`s a top quality fullback. I suspect that Matty Brown and Nathan Clarke are in the same mindset. They know they are going to get paid. 

Footballers at our level have the same anxieties as the rest of the working world. Are they going to get paid? Do they enjoy coming to work? Do they enjoy their colleagues company and do they like them? Do they like the boss? The answer to most questions at the Shay this year is a categoric YES! As a result, the sum of the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts and as a result we will prevail this season. 

That is down to two things. DB and the BOD who maintain a level headed approach to life and PW who has come in with a common mans approach. He treats players with respect, and he doesn`t talk ****.

This is a great season to be a Shayman:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

This league hasn´t had an outstanding team since Luton. We are certainly as good as any team in this league this season. The last two/three seasons has been down to poor management.

Disagree, Tranmere were very strong 2 years ago as back to back promotions proves. 

Lincoln were also very good the year before, again there now in league 1.

Even last sason i thought Orient were very impressive.

It's still early days this season so antyhing could happen but i don't think we can say strong teams wont emerge after 8 games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Disagree, Tranmere were very strong 2 years ago as back to back promotions proves. 

It's still early days this season so antyhing could happen but i don't think we can say strong teams wont emerge after 8 games.

Lincolns form the year they won promotion was actually in and out all seasons probably affected by their cup run but don´t think they where outstanding team.

Orient yes strong but not outstanding in fact a team I liked. 

Tranmere OK no more no less the same with this league any one of 6/7 teams could win this season just hope it´s us.

30 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Tranmere played football on't deck. No stars in the side but a reasonably good team.

Lincoln. played to their strengths, 

, Rhead. An improvement side but again no stand out players.

If you look back at the winners of this league since we won it in 98, neither would come near a top five.

I think Town would be in the top five. Our all round team was superb. We also had a future Premier League striker and some experienced players that had played a good level.

I think I'd put Fleetwood in a top 5. Good side with the best player to play non league up front.

I'd probably choose Burton Albion as another team in a top five. Another good all round side with Darryl Clare being their talisman.

Chris Wilders play off winners at Oxford? 

The Luton league winners?

I'd be interested to hear other suggestions.

The Yeovil side of around 2001 was comfortably the best. Gavin Williams, Michael McIndoe, Lee Johnson, Darren Way, Barrington Belgrave, Terry Skiverton. Absolute class against Rushden's mega money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mj85 said:

The Yeovil side of around 2001 was comfortably the best. Gavin Williams, Michael McIndoe, Lee Johnson, Darren Way, Barrington Belgrave, Terry Skiverton. Absolute class against Rushden's mega money.

Which year did they win promotion? I can remember going to Yeovil away but it was played at Dorchester's ground. Yeovil's group was having a refurb.

Edited by Erik Everhard

Newport in 2012/13 despite being runners up to Mansfield were brilliant too. Played quality football.

Edited by mj85
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Any one of 6/7 teams could win this season just hope it´s us.

You coluld probably say that about every league in England other than the Premier League.

Edited by greygoose

1 hour ago, greygoose said:

You coluld probably say that about every league in England other than the Premier League.

The only difference in this league unless promoted the rewards are very poor. It´s a league we need to get out of, finance wise we would be better off either the league above or below and there is only one way I want to go.

• Haha 1

Really impresed so far with Wild. So far so good, but the real test will be how he gets the team/crowd to respond if they lose 3 or 4 on the bounce and end up bottom end of the play off places. That will be the real test. From what we've seen I do have confidence Wild has the belief and personality to be a steadying influence should that happen.

We had a very similar situation last season. A very easy start playing 4 or 5 awful teams in the first 7 or 8 games and were near the top. Then came a run of a few hard games that we lost, JF went full defensive mode and we never looked like we'd win a game again until about March. That won't happen this time round.

We've played last years play off finalists, this years predicted champion and last years play off placed team already, plus tricky visits to Barrow and Aldershot.

Hes passed a few tests already.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, shaymen down under said:

Now the football is night and day better than last season, but just want to post as a reminder/caution on how quickly football can change.

These are the positions at the start and end of sept from last season.

3C572BEA-6460-4D0E-A982-61F643B9D132.png

91008162-FE9F-4252-8187-33E53EE46613.png

Not like us to go from hero to zero!

20 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Who did the graph thing over the last two seasons? Do we want another graph? 

That was me, haven’t been doing one this season but I can do easily enough

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldskir said:

Wild has done a brilliant job in a very short space of time.

Get him signed up on a long term contract, Mr Bosomworth!

Absolutely no way , what if he suddenly goes on a run like JF last season and suddenly appears hopeless, we couldn’t afford to then sack him,  has he got a 2 year deal ? Maybe extend next season 

On 9/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, Ash said:

We've played last years play off finalists, this years predicted champion and last years play off placed team already, plus tricky visits to Barrow and Aldershot.

Hes passed a few tests already.

Let's not get too carried away. Seven of our 9 opponents to date are in the bottom half. Games will start getting harder from here with a tricky run of 5 or 6 games into October. It will be interesting to see how we hold our nerve if we lose a few of those. I think Wild should be better at keeping the morale up.

12 minutes ago, Spiltdown Man said:

Let's not get too carried away. Seven of our 9 opponents to date are in the bottom half. Games will start getting harder from here with a tricky run of 5 or 6 games into October. It will be interesting to see how we hold our nerve if we lose a few of those. I think Wild should be better at keeping the morale up.

They are bottom half because we helped to put them there:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

They are bottom half because we helped to put them there:D

We have played some damn good teams which before the season started fans saying we have a very difficult August, tbh we have a difficult Sept,Oct,Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb,March and April but we will get there.

Dont play down the teams we have beat, saying majority are bottom half, teams like solihull,hartlepool,fylde are probably expected to be top 5 teams minimum. We've a very good team here as we knew we did last year we just didnt make the most of it until the clueless manager finally made some attacking loan signings 

There's a decent interview with Wild in the Yorkshire Post. 

I think it gives a good insight into his character and why he seems to have a good bond with the fans. He's got no airs and graces and is down to earth, like many of our own fans. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/steep-learning-curve-enables-pete-wild-to-make-sudden-impact-at-fc-halifax-town-1-9976407/amp?__twitter_impression=true

The guy is a breath of fresh air, the way he talks, his attitude to the players and fans is great. It's plainly obvious the players love playing for him.

It's a million miles away from the restrictive, negative and aloof manager who left.

We had never heard of Pete Wild............we do now !!!!

Apparently we’re playing a closed doors game on Tuesday with Dayle putting in some minutes. I guess Wild’s starting to get into this Sat-Tues-Sat lark.

And Steve Lanzarote, I’m sorry but as an armchair fan you’re not convincing me that Luton were the last impressive team at this level. Bizarre shout given Lincoln City had the best season in Conference history a few years later. Leyton Orient were also a handful, but Tranmere in particular tore it up the three times I saw them that season, and they were still at it when I saw them edge towards promotion this spring. Bristol Rovers also had real quality over the 90 minutes, and we may never know how Cheltenham were given we got a Darren Kelly comedy club performance and a title parade game against them. That Luton stuff is based on their levels of support, and how well-matched we had the pleasure of being at the time.

29 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Apparently we’re playing a closed doors game on Tuesday with Dayle putting in some minutes. I guess Wild’s starting to get into this Sat-Tues-Sat lark.

And Steve Lanzarote, I’m sorry but as an armchair fan you’re not convincing me that Luton were the last impressive team at this level. Bizarre shout given Lincoln City had the best season in Conference history a few years later. Leyton Orient were also a handful, but Tranmere in particular tore it up the three times I saw them that season, and they were still at it when I saw them edge towards promotion this spring. Bristol Rovers also had real quality over the 90 minutes, and we may never know how Cheltenham were given we got a Darren Kelly comedy club performance and a title parade game against them. That Luton stuff is based on their levels of support, and how well-matched we had the pleasure of being at the time.

Flea agreed too and he's seen more live football than almost anyone.

Luton had a great striker that went into play Premier League and fhey also had the lucky charm of McNulty. Luton were a standout side. 

I don't think you can say a record points total means you're one of the best.

It all depends who you've played and the form they were in.