Sign in to follow this  
AGB

The Bosses' Lounge(Vol 21)

2 hours ago, greg45 said:

Brilliant interview that. Sounds like a super chap.

Sorta interview, that makes you feel like giving the guy an extra game or two when the chips are down. 

I think he just understands football like the common fan. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything or speak in tongues. In a game of fine margins and opinions flying everywhere, his approach lends for him to have a longer leash from the fans  than say JF did. Not saying who’s the better coach/manager at this stage, but his personality is a lot easier to digest.

• Like 4

Well looks like MR B as got it right this time and feels nice to enjoy the interview unlike last manager who did not really bond with us.

What a smashing interview. I have a friend who has worked with PW and he says that we have got a diamond. This interview seems to back that up.

I also agree with him about Browns in Vilamoura. Go into the bar there and look at photos of probably 150 national and top grade football teams, similar with rugby union teams. Nice bar, good rooms, very good playing surface. Well worth a visit as there is always some football team there worth watching.

A good interview from mr wild, and he seems as he says himself just a normal guy doing a job he loves good luck Pete. ( especially this season ).

An excellent read.

Sounds to have his head screwed on & not full of himself. Here's hoping he achieves his & our dreams & takes us back to the Football League.

Only issue is, if he does this as soon as I believe is possible, he will be in high demand further up the pyramid.

52 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

An excellent read.

Sounds to have his head screwed on & not full of himself. Here's hoping he achieves his & our dreams & takes us back to the Football League.

Only issue is, if he does this as soon as I believe is possible, he will be in high demand further up the pyramid.

Never begrudge anybody moving up the ladder if by being good for us enable them to progress 

it’s a win win 

Edited by Nick

58 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

An excellent read.

Time to worry about him being hi-jacked is when he has done something to trigger it.

He praises the work ethic and attitude in the dressing room, suggesting it's not the sort of thing you expect to find when a manager has just walked out. He also speaks highly of the training facilities. No little credit would seem due to Jamie Fullarton on both these counts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

He praises the work ethic and attitude in the dressing room, suggesting it's not the sort of thing you expect to find when a manager has just walked out. He also speaks highly of the training facilities. No little credit would seem due to Jamie Fullarton on both these counts.

Sorry, they were probably rejuvenated with Fullarton leaving.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

Its more than a little credit to Jamie fullarton  re the training facilities. I helped Jamie  with the work at the training facilities and the best way of describing the difference  between the training facilities before and after what Jamie  did is when you move house you walk in and its all bare  and unloved. You then decorate it move your furniture put your pictures etc and feels like home. Well thats whats happened this summer it gone from a bare portakabin and a few bits of gym equipment to a facility  the club can be proud of. You might not have liked him as a manager but his organisational skills have moved this club to the next level. Hopefully Pete  wild can kick us to the next level on the playing front.

Well said 

to say he did nothing for the club is so wrong .. he left it stronger than he found it 

add some positive but also failing in some areas 

and hopefully Pete will add on to that .. and not start a rebuilding of everything

nick 

36 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

Its more than a little credit to Jamie fullarton  re the training facilities. I helped Jamie  with the work at the training facilities and the best way of describing the difference  between the training facilities before and after what Jamie  did is when you move house you walk in and its all bare  and unloved. You then decorate it move your furniture put your pictures etc and feels like home. Well thats whats happened this summer it gone from a bare portakabin and a few bits of gym equipment to a facility  the club can be proud of. You might not have liked him as a manager but his organisational skills have moved this club to the next level. Hopefully Pete  wild can kick us to the next level on the playing front.

Not suggesting he didn't do it well but as he oversaw the transition from PT to FT he was always going to be the one that moved the club on to the next level in terms of training wasn't he? Prior to this we only trained two evenings a week which became one if we had a Tuesday fixture so you would expect the club to move forward in this area once training 3/4 days a week.

It looks like he's done it very well though so fair play to him, its good to see he has left something behind that the club can continue to utilise. Its this sort of thing that probably defines him more of a coach than a manger though, attention to detail and organising things on the training ground seem to be his strength. Man management, game management, media relationships and fan relationships are more off the cuff sort of strengths something that his personality struggled with and unfortunately for him how most managers are judged.

JF was a disaster. Even discounting the fact that his style of play was so dire that it led to hundreds of fans drifting away, a manager CANNOT be judged on how well the gym equipment is laid out. That's me being a little facetious but that's almost what is being suggested here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its like giving a chef credit, even if the food is shite, just for having a clean kitchen.

• Thanks 1

Why was he a disaster Hoddie, he came and got us out of a relegation battle, most of Billy Heaths team were conference North players who had been found out by the rest of the league.  He brought in players that helped us escape relegation by a considerable margin.  Last season his tactics wern't great but we were were up near the top until the injuries set in which resulted in the winless run.  Then when our chairman released the purse strings mainly because of the cash we got from the cup  again he brought  in players  who moved the club on. 

As I have said in another post  he has improved the clubs infrastructure beyond  recognition you should see the training facilities. Despite his budget constraints he has signed some decent players. only one of our eight goals this season is not by one of his signings.  I think him going has actually done the club a favour as i think Pete Wild will have a much better rapport with our fans , but to say he was a disaster well thats plain wrong  Darren Kelly was a disaster going back Ray Henderson was a disaster Alan Ball the second time Paul Bracewell John Carroll but Jamie Fullerton no he did move the club forward which is all we can ask. 

Re the fall in crowds last season thats as much down to season ticket prices and the gates prices as to the football on offer although for alot of the season it was crap.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

Why was he a disaster Hoddie, he came and got us out of a relegation battle, most of Billy Heaths team were conference North players who had been found out by the rest of the league.  He brought in players that helped us escape relegation by a considerable margin.  Last season his tactics wern't great but we were were up near the top until the injuries set in which resulted in the winless run.  Then when our chairman released the purse strings mainly because of the cash we got from the cup  again he brought  in players  who moved the club on. 

As I have said in another post  he has improved the clubs infrastructure beyond  recognition you should see the training facilities. Despite his budget constraints he has signed some decent players. only one of our eight goals this season is not by one of his signings.  I think him going has actually done the club a favour as i think Pete Wild will have a much better rapport with our fans , but to say he was a disaster well thats plain wrong  Darren Kelly was a disaster going back Ray Henderson was a disaster Alan Ball the second time Paul Bracewell John Carroll but Jamie Fullerton no he did move the club forward which is all we can ask. 

Re the fall in crowds last season thats as much down to season ticket prices and the gates prices as to the football on offer although for alot of the season it was crap.

He didn't improve on the field except by one position. Despite the club's biggest ever budget, the best ever training facilities, etc. The dwindling crowd were reason enough to paint his tenure as a disaster, though I personally didn't turn against him until he signed his star player. 

Not sure how season ticket prices can be blamed for a mid-season drop in attendances. More likely to be the 2 wins from 30 games or whatever the ridiculous statistic was. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hunsworthhound said:

Fullarton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hoddie said:

JF was a disaster. Even discounting the fact that his style of play was so dire that it led to hundreds of fans drifting away, a manager CANNOT be judged on how well the gym equipment is laid out. That's me being a little facetious but that's almost what is being suggested here.

…..but credit where credit's due.....Over all, I agree with you.

6 hours ago, Bubba said:

Its like giving a chef credit, even if the food is shite, just for having a clean kitchen.

Add to that the shop owner had put up the prices 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, hunsworthhound said:

Additionally, the positive team morale and much-improved club infrastructure inherited would make it much easier for the new manager to hit the ground running. Hardly a disaster. More a completed exercise in seeing the club through a transition to a more secure, stable and professional footing. He has departed without acrimony, leaving a sound platform upon which Pete Wild now has the opportunity to build. I’d call that a success, in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by themanwhowasntthere

2 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Additionally, the positive team morale and much-improved club infrastructure inherited would make it much easier for the new manager to succeed. Hardly a disaster. 

I don't understand this at all. If I'm being charitable I'll accept that JF had the club treading water rather than actually making things worse, but that's despite improved finances and facilities. It's almost perverse to suggest that should Wild go on and be successful, he has JF in part to thank for that. Give over, absolute nonsense if you ask me.

Mulhall took Town up after Carroll's calamitous reign. Carroll signed a number of players used by Mulhall in 97/98, but the fact that Mulhall could do so much more with them than his predecessor shows exactly how bad Carroll was.

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

I don't understand this at all. If I'm being charitable I'll accept that JF had the club treading water rather than actually making things worse, but that's despite improved finances and facilities. It's almost perverse to suggest that should Wild go on and be successful, he has JF in part to thank for that. Give over, absolute nonsense if you ask me.

Mulhall took Town up after Carroll's calamitous reign. Carroll signed a number of players used by Mulhall in 97/98, but the fact that Mulhall could do so much more with them than his predecessor shows exactly how bad Carroll was.

Admittedly, on the field, things were atrophying until the loan signings came in towards the end of the season - I sometimes wonder whether the continued fielding of Lenighan was an unsubtle response by Fullarton to not being allowed to bring anyone else in on a bigger budget - but if he succeeded in developing the team ethos and dragging the creaking training infrastructure up by the ankles so that the next managerial appointment might reap the Mulhall effect, then, for as long as Pete Wild kicks on with his inheritance, as a transitional appointment, Fullarton’s reign might end up being viewed historically to have worked out.