Shaymus

Brian Redfearn

Sad to hear that former Town winger Brian Redfearn died on Saturday, aged 84. Played for Town between 1961-63. Also father of Neil Redfearn, who also played for Town some forty years later.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Sad to hear that former Town winger Brian Redfearn died on Saturday, aged 84. Played for Town between 1961-63. Also father of Neil Redfearn, who also played for Town some forty years later.

Didn’t know that history

8 hours ago, shaymanandy said:

Correct. It was Swindon Town on 29th of September 1962. He seemed to hit it from the touch line but that’s probably my  imagination ;)

Last minute. Hit it from the left hand corner of the penalty area into the far right hand top corner of the net. An absolute pearler.

Unfortuntely a lot of the crowd had already departed.

RIP.

• Like 1

Yes that's the one and such a pity not captured 0n video along with many more from that time including the goals from George Whitelaw and Frank Large.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Yes that's the one and such a pity not captured 0n video along with many more from that time including the goals from George Whitelaw and Frank Large.

Two great players in one sentence George played 56 -scored 22 Frank P133 - G50 wish we had them now.

Obviously before my time, but I've just read a report of that game. Swindon (whose side included Ernie 'donkey kick' Hunt and Mike Summerbee) went 3-0 up in the second half. Barry Tait pulled one back in the 70th minute and it wasn't until the last ten minutes of the game that the fightback was really on. Tait completed his hat-trick and then Brian Redfearn crashed home the winner in the last minute.

Games like that explain why we all love football so much. Not possible to imagine the feeling of elation at the final whistle having seen that kind of turnaround.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Obviously before my time, but I've just read a report of that game. Swindon (whose side included Ernie 'donkey kick' Hunt and Mike Summerbee) went 3-0 up in the second half. Barry Tait pulled one back in the 70th minute and it wasn't until the last ten minutes of the game that the fightback was really on. Tait completed his hat-trick and then Brian Redfearn crashed home the winner in the last minute.

I remember it well ,probably the best 20 mins. from any town side ever. I spoke to Brian several years ago and ask him if he remember scoring the goal. "Not half, get in he replied" with a big smile on his face. R.I.P. Brian

• Like 2

The 1960 game in front of 15.000 was a classic when Large got the two goals giving us the win and the 4 4 game at BPA when I think we was 3 0 down at HT Dave Worthington scoring near the end giving us the draw.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Tremendous game,Swindon were a really good team ,but what a turnaround! 

In later years Brian even attended some   reserve matches at the Shay  and i got the chance to have a few chats with him .Seem to recall he was also a decent cricketer playing in the Bradford league. RIP

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Games like that explain why we all love football so much. Not possible to imagine the feeling of elation at the final whistle having seen that kind of turnaround.

so true. the first goal (Redferns)  to bring a tear to my eye !

Edited by rdj
sp

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Have to say the Tait who cost nothing was far better than the Tate who cost a fortune.

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Two great players in one sentence George played 56 -scored 22 Frank P133 - G50 wish we had them now.

Agree Steve  Great players and memories

2 hours ago, Bill Atkins said:

Agree Steve  Great players and memories

Beginning of my time supporting Town, we always seemed to have a nucleas of quality players with a few characters thrown in, didn't appear to have the turnover of players we have now. R.I.P Brian.

6 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Too true Hoddie. I was on crutches and just making my way out by the bottom side of where the North Stand is now and how I didn’t fall over I’ll never know :D

Brian Redfearn's funeral will take place at Rawdon Crematorium on Wednesday, 28 August at 11.40am. His son Neil has said that anyone is welcome to go and pay their respects.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:36 AM, Steve Lanzarote said:

Frank Large was a player that my uncle Kenneth spoke about regularly when he spoke about old Town teams.