This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Where will we finish?

• Champions (1st)
    • Play-offs (2nd to 7th)
    • Just miss out (8th to 10th)
    • Mid-table (11th to 17th)
    • Too close for comfort (18th to 20th)
    • Relegated (21st to 24th)

From what i have seen and its only 2 games so far. The standard of football on show is of a higher standard to last season. Based on that i can't see us finishing any lower than last season. My early thoughts are that we are a goalscorer away from challenging for the play offs. Half the league will probably be saying the same though. My prediction is 10th. I'll be interested to see how Wild does with a full pre season and budget next season. I know he had the majority of the budget this season but the one thing he didnt have was time. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, Richmond96 said:

It’s a positive start. Southwell to come back and show us what he can do this year. Too early to make predictions. Need 12 games. Everyone was very excited after 7 matches last season then we fell off a cliff. 

Never had that sense that everybody was really excited last season .. we didn’t expect  the plummet down the table .. but at the same time nobody was happy with our style of play 

so like most I hope for good things this season .. but it’s only a hope 

play off place is very possible .. just less draws and more wins than last year 

Edited by Nick

17 hours ago, Shay said:

So where did you expect Halifax to finish last season in our first season as a full time model up against money bags Salford?

Said it before and I'll say it again. Going to a full time model is a GOOD thing that gives us a GREATER chance of success. It isn't a fecking excuse for under-performance?!?!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its too early in the season to expect us to be ripping up any trees. 5 games in, only 3 goals conceded shows we are unlikely to be anyone's whipping boys. I don't expect massive changes in style from that on offer last season, just more emphasis on positive play as opposed to defend at all costs. From what has been said by Pete Wild, he likes to be strong in defence, that is what we have & will continue to do. Once the team has had a few more games to bed in & understand what is expected from him, we will see a little more movement along the forward lines, which in turn will create more chances, without sacrificing our defensive strength.  

We are not Barcelona, so I don't expect us to play like them, just good enough to beat most teams in this division on our way back to the Football League.

• Like 1

After reading some of the comments on this thread I've been thinking.

Several posters have said that we're only a goalscorer away from the play offs. I personally think that despite this potentially being a frustrating position to be in, we should in fact be thankful for the players we have. 

We have a fantastic centre half partnership. I don't think any of our own would swap either of them for any other in our league. Spoilt for choice at right back and left back is still a work in progress. We have Maher who is slowly making the holding midfielder role his own and he's got a decent partner in Staunton. Then we have one of the best players in the league in Cameron King. I really do hope he signs a new deal, and keeps up his form. Allen has shown promise as have one or two others.

Plenty to be thankful for and it's still early days. I'm sure Wild Pete will bring in the necessary players when needed.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 9:30 PM, vinnyweknuts said:

Big difference  between "being happy" and reality, 75% of teams in our league will not mount a serious challenge

Nail on the head.

I’d love us to challenge, but don’t see it from the (admittedly only Ebbsfleet and Wrexham) games I’ve seen.

19 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Nail on the head.

I’d love us to challenge, but don’t see it from the (admittedly only Ebbsfleet and Wrexham) games I’ve seen.

I love how people think I'm negative all the time yet I'm sat here, deliriously believing that we're going to win promotion this year. Until and unless it becomes obvious otherwise.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I love how people think I'm negative all the time yet I'm sat here, deliriously believing that we're going to win promotion this year. Until and unless it becomes obvious otherwise.

Haha!

I suppose I still hope too. I’m just dreading this forum branding the club, manager, and anyone else a disgrace when/if we don’t achieve promotion.

For me it’s an aspiration not an expectation, but accept others have a higher bar.

Edited by shaymandownsouff
  • Like 3

Funny when some people on the forum was calling me and TJ negative for not backing the manager, so what's happened now these same people seem to be having doubts over getting to the play offs, have faith because this guy will do his best to make sure we do well because we are now united with the fans, the players, which was lacking from the last four managers,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Haha!

I suppose I still hope too. I’m just dreading this forum branding the club, manager, and anyone else a disgrace when/if we don’t achieve promotion.

For me it’s an aspiration not an expectation, but accept others have a higher bar.

I don’t think we willl get play offs with the current team. A striker and another attacking player to come in then yes I’d think so. 

But no one should be expecting play offs. Mid table 8th-14th I reckon. 

5 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I don’t think we willl get play offs with the current team. A striker and another attacking player to come in then yes I’d think so. 

But no one should be expecting play offs. Mid table 8th-14th I reckon. 

Doubt the current team is the managers finished article, there will be additions when the time is right. Wild won't want to rock the boat at the moment.

1 minute ago, Roy Race said:

Doubt the current team is the managers finished article, there will be additions when the time is right. Wild won't want to rock the boat at the moment.

Agreed. I think he will go into the loan market. 

On 8/19/2019 at 3:16 PM, greg45 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again. Going to a full time model is a GOOD thing that gives us a GREATER chance of success. It isn't a fecking excuse for under-performance?!?!?

Rome wasn’t built in a day though was it 

9 hours ago, Shay said:

I think we've been saying that for the last 10 years!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shay said:

We’ve been saying that quote for a long long time now :lol: 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hoddie said:

.....says quite a bit about these people:)

11 hours ago, Shay said:

JF was barely building Brighouse, never mind Rome.

51 minutes ago, greg45 said:

JF was barely building Brighouse, never mind Rome.

Give him a little bit of credit. He built the gym facilities and improved the training ground massively with no help at all! 

Pete has said the facilities are even better than Oldham. JF might not have been a good manager on matchdays but in terms of the training ground and going through the Part Time to full time change he has to be given credit for that. 

9 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

Give him a little bit of credit. He built the gym facilities and improved the training ground massively with no help at all! 

Pete has said the facilities are even better than Oldham. JF might not have been a good manager on matchdays but in terms of the training ground and going through the Part Time to full time change he has to be given credit for that. 

Fair enough - I will give him that one. He didn't stop the gypsies coming in though did he! One point off JF for that.

13 hours ago, Shay said:

No but they seemed to have a long term plan..... mostly driven by fighting, drinking & fornication:o

Just miss out;  depends largely on injuries, but we seem to have better cover across the midfield and forwards;  the form of J Mac and Southwell once fit could be crucial

1 hour ago, Broncos777 said:

Just miss out;  depends largely on injuries, but we seem to have better cover across the midfield and forwards;  the form of J Mac and Southwell once fit could be crucial

I don't think Southwell can play in our current system. He will have a bit more support from midfield this time but I still think he needs a partner.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:19 PM, Macam blue said:

its too early in the season to expect us to be ripping up any trees. 5 games in, only 3 goals conceded shows we are unlikely to be anyone's whipping boys. I don't expect massive changes in style from that on offer last season, just more emphasis on positive play as opposed to defend at all costs. From what has been said by Pete Wild, he likes to be strong in defence, that is what we have & will continue to do. Once the team has had a few more games to bed in & understand what is expected from him, we will see a little more movement along the forward lines, which in turn will create more chances, without sacrificing our defensive strength.  

We are not Barcelona, so I don't expect us to play like them, just good enough to beat most teams in this division on our way back to the Football League.

Changed my mind. On todays performance we are better than Barcelona.:P