Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Aldershot: today’s game

5 minutes ago, Shay said:

Agreed. Overall. I’m fairly content with the start. Let’s be honest. We shouldn’t expect to be promotion contenders 

Why?

6 hours ago, AJS said:

I take back what i've previously said about Maher. We are much better with him than without.

Starting to wonder if it was JF that limited him on what he was allowed to do on the ball.

All this Maher ranting does me in, next time he plays watch him. He rarely get on the ball, does a lot of running about trying to break up the opposition attacks but his positioning is awful. If you think Maher is an automatic on the team sheet we are in a bad way. Next time he plays watch him closely on the ball, that's what football is all about what you do with the ball. Maher rarely has a kick.

Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

Why?

Our budget is nowhere near as much as other clubs. We are nowhere near the size of Wrexham for example. We can’t seem to attract a striker of Jon Stead’s calibre whereas Harrogate can 

3 minutes ago, Shay said:

Our budget is nowhere near as much as other clubs. We are nowhere near the size of Wrexham for example. We can’t seem to attract a striker of Jon Stead’s calibre whereas Harrogate can 

How many goals has he scored for Harrogate and where are they in the league?

4 minutes ago, born to moan said:

All this Maher ranting does me in, next time he plays watch him. He rarely get on the ball, does a lot of running about trying to break up the opposition attacks but his positioning is awful. If you think Maher is an automatic on the team sheet we are in a bad way. Next time he plays watch him closely on the ball, that's what football is all about what you do with the ball. Maher rarely has a kick.

Rubbish! Football is as much to do with what you do off the ball as on it!

• Like 1

Just now, Shaytrev said:

How many goals has he scored for Harrogate and where are they in the league?

He isn’t playing is he? My point is he would rather go to Harrogate than the mighty Shaymen 

1 minute ago, Shay said:

He isn’t playing is he? My point is he would rather go to Harrogate than the mighty Shaymen 

A player of his calibre is not playing, no wonder they are in the bottom half of the table.

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

A player of his calibre is not playing, no wonder they are in the bottom half of the table.

But why is he going there? They have a better budget than our massive club 

6 minutes ago, Shay said:

I agree, lets also not fotget what a disaster pre season turned out to be.

We are 2/3 good players away from any kind of play off challenge. Theres also a few of the summer recruits starting to look like the rushed signings they were. 

With this in mind overall you have to be pleased with the 10 points we've already got, 40 more to go. I can only see a similar outcome to last season at present, solid at the back but struggling for goals again but it should be enough to survive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greygoose said:

We are 2/3 good players away from any kind of play off challenge. Theres also a few of the summer recruits starting to look like the rushed signings they were. 

With this in mind overall you have to be pleased with the 10 points we've already got, 40 more to go. I can only see a similar outcome to last season at present, solid at the back but struggling for goals again but it should be enough to survive.

Agreed. We will be lambasted for not being ambitious enough but that’s life. Real life. 

Top 7 could be achievable with a couple of quality loan signings. Trouble is they don't tend to become available at this stage of the season.

5 hours ago, Nick said:

I struggle to see how there is not a foul of some sort being committed .. it’s just crazy

…..seldom these days a forward gets something…...

1 hour ago, Shay said:

Agreed. Overall. I’m fairly content with the start. Let’s be honest. We shouldn’t expect to be promotion contenders 

I think all things considered it's a very good start.

Let's hope we beat Fylde again on home soil. I'm sure Duckworth will have Kossy in his pocket if he's on the left. Keep Rowe quiet and we'll beat them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chadders said:

Struggled for the first jour or so, little cohesion or fluency with aimless passes either going astray or being eaten up by the Shots defence. We were shell shocked by the soft and avoidable first goal but had two or three decent chances to equalise before they hit the post which would have put them 2 up. We looked better with Silva up top and Maclinden out wide. Equaliser was always coming and we could have nicked all three points at the end. 

…...what did you call him, Terry?;)

3 hours ago, Greggs said:

Wasn't there today so can't comment on it. 

However the 2 home games i have seen i have to agree with many that we are lacking a goalscorer. 

…..does what mean you're unable to come to the same conclusion if you're not there and witness strikers scoring for instance 0 or  1 goal in the other 44?…..;)

Edited by TheNorwegianViking

1 hour ago, Shay said:

Why would we need Jon Stead?

1 hour ago, greygoose said:

…..what? Pre-season turned out to be positive......against all odds? 

1 hour ago, Flea said:

We were slow out of the blocks today and looked very leggy in parts. Not a great performance, however in the last 20 mins we turned the screw a little to get the equaliser and I must credit the team for keeping going. They fought to the end and could even have stole it had Staunton managed to just get a little more on a cross. A week to recover until the next game, so hopefully tired legs can recover and we are then fighting fit on that front for the bank holiday weekend.  

The defence will be unhappy with the goal we conceded, it was sloppy and so early on in the game too. Sam's then made another great save tipping the ball over the bar with his feet midway through the first half, however for as lacklustre as we were, that was pretty much the only "golden" chances for Shots. They were the better team, we looked jaded and off the pace a tad, however again I must stress it was a lot better to watch than what we saw last season. 

Im glad JBW managed to get the equaliser today and hopefully that will give his confidence a boost. Sadly he didn't have the best of games, the goal aside. Caught out a few times - and whilst I can't fault his work rate or effort, he's a tad off the pace atm. I don't want to get on his back and its still early days however I do feel he could be the weak link that will be targeted by teams this season. 

We have missed Maher in the past two games in my opinion. If he isn't fit for next Saturday I'd like to see Earing given a start to see if he can influence things. He's young but looks very composed on the ball. Allen's worked hard today, got his head down and ran with the ball a couple of times which was good to see. I wish however we had someone on the other flank matching this. J.King sadly for the second game in a row failed to do it for me. Liam McAlinden failed to lead the line with authority and I feel when Tobi came on they looked a decent pair. Not convinced that playing just the one is going to work as well. Tobi holds the ball up and is a strong battler, and I'd love to see him have someone alongside him to feed the ball to once he has dragged the defence apart. 

10 points from 5 games. Its more than acceptable a return, even if in the last two games we haven't been firing on all cylinders. Its a learning curve for the manager, some players are still getting up to speed and getting to know each other, yet we have more reasons to be happy rather than worried. 

From the opening 5 games, I think we are in a better shape than I expected. If Josh Mac can get fit and playing opposite Allen then I am excited with that. I do feel unless we can unlock goals from Southwell I'd like us to have a proven scorer that we could look to get us 15/20 goals, however, lets take stock of the start. We are doing well at the moment. 

…..what do you expect from professionals?....This is daft to write, Flea?

1 hour ago, Flea said:

We were slow out of the blocks today and looked very leggy in parts. Not a great performance, however in the last 20 mins we turned the screw a little to get the equaliser and I must credit the team for keeping going. They fought to the end and could even have stole it had Staunton managed to just get a little more on a cross. A week to recover until the next game, so hopefully tired legs can recover and we are then fighting fit on that front for the bank holiday weekend.  

The defence will be unhappy with the goal we conceded, it was sloppy and so early on in the game too. Sam's then made another great save tipping the ball over the bar with his feet midway through the first half, however for as lacklustre as we were, that was pretty much the only "golden" chances for Shots. They were the better team, we looked jaded and off the pace a tad, however again I must stress it was a lot better to watch than what we saw last season. 

Im glad JBW managed to get the equaliser today and hopefully that will give his confidence a boost. Sadly he didn't have the best of games, the goal aside. Caught out a few times - and whilst I can't fault his work rate or effort, he's a tad off the pace atm. I don't want to get on his back and its still early days however I do feel he could be the weak link that will be targeted by teams this season. 

We have missed Maher in the past two games in my opinion. If he isn't fit for next Saturday I'd like to see Earing given a start to see if he can influence things. He's young but looks very composed on the ball. Allen's worked hard today, got his head down and ran with the ball a couple of times which was good to see. I wish however we had someone on the other flank matching this. J.King sadly for the second game in a row failed to do it for me. Liam McAlinden failed to lead the line with authority and I feel when Tobi came on they looked a decent pair. Not convinced that playing just the one is going to work as well. Tobi holds the ball up and is a strong battler, and I'd love to see him have someone alongside him to feed the ball to once he has dragged the defence apart. 

10 points from 5 games. Its more than acceptable a return, even if in the last two games we haven't been firing on all cylinders. Its a learning curve for the manager, some players are still getting up to speed and getting to know each other, yet we have more reasons to be happy rather than worried. 

From the opening 5 games, I think we are in a better shape than I expected. If Josh Mac can get fit and playing opposite Allen then I am excited with that. I do feel unless we can unlock goals from Southwell I'd like us to have a proven scorer that we could look to get us 15/20 goals, however, lets take stock of the start. We are doing well at the moment. 

Isn't that obvious?

17 minutes ago, TheNorwegianViking said:

Isn't that obvious?

Probably depends on what he expected originally