Sign in to follow this  
Shampoo

Bury

Sad when a club like Bury are at the edge of the trapdoor & the plastic club a few miles down the road are awash with dosh.

Its inevitable that we are going to see "traditional" clubs die. No one at the top cares. Put Bury out of their misery now so we can all slap the backs of the likes of Salford, Crawley, Forest Green and whatever next vanity project pops up instead. 

• Like 1

Meh, quite hard to feel sympathy. Understand we’ve been through similar, but they cash they’ve been throwing at it in recent years was unsustainable as it has now proven. The league shouldn’t be looking to bail them out, otherwise it doesn’t do much to deter other clubs doing the same in future. 

• Like 2

As I understand it their current owner bought them recently for a quid, won’t sell for less than a couple of million, but isn’t paying the players or meeting obligations to allow them to fulfill their fixtures. What a wang. 

Unfortunately the football league is now a flawed model. The majority of clubs have  owners who pay x number of millions a year to keep their  club competitive. This is ok but alot them have a finite amount money and when this runs out they have to find some other mug who prepared to see his fortune  drain away. 

Problem is the number of mugs is rapidily decreasing. Bury and Bolton will be the first of many.

42 minutes ago, Grayski said:

Wonder what league they would start off again in....

Biggest issue would be the attendances they would get in any new league if they reformed. They were getting around 4,000 on average last season so you would assume going lower than the Evo Stik Premier would be a nightmare for those clubs - and I'd think most in the ESP would probably struggle.

With the Conference not wanting any club with admin/debts it does make you wonder where exactly they would fit though. 

If Bury went bust it would mean only one team gets relegated from the Football League - however I assume the Confernece would still be promoting two teams, so we would have an imbalance in our league, which would have the knock on effect dropping down the leagues until the new Bury was slotted in (or another club was granted a spot that would have been taken by Bury)

Biggest worry for Bury is the gap before next season starts.

We were “lucky” when we went bust that it was close season.

A year without football is plenty of time to find something else to do.

This we be the first time a senior club has gone under at the start of a season others like us Chester aldershot  have got to the end or nearly to the end of the season. Not even starting thats an intersting one. At least theres plenty of time to organise a new club.

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

We have proven that you can put a good team together for not a lot of money, it´s the way it can and should be done.

Agree Steve.

Another reason why I hope we do get promoted this season. In my opinion DB & co would use the 1m for the future good of FC Halifax, not waste it or pocket it like some.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Sad when a club like Bury are at the edge of the trapdoor & the plastic club a few miles down the road are awash with dosh.

Particularly when Gary Neville was brought up in Bury. Not Salford.

17 hours ago, ewalsh said:

Meh, quite hard to feel sympathy. Understand we’ve been through similar, but they cash they’ve been throwing at it in recent years was unsustainable as it has now proven. The league shouldn’t be looking to bail them out, otherwise it doesn’t do much to deter other clubs doing the same in future. 

Think it's a lot more complicated than you suggest. I don't pretend to know the full story, but (if I've read correctly) it appears a previous owner Stewart Day took out loans in Bury's name to prop up his other Companies - Gigg Lane being the asset needed. These loans are at premium rates, and mean Bury have to find £1500 a day to finance them. If we had to find £10,000 a week before paying for anything else, I reckon we would have similar problems.

They are supposedly £8 million in debt, so I reckon they've had it. As usual it's a shame for the fans, but they will hopefully be back sooner or later.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/11/bury-takeover-without-full-football-league-approval-transfer-embargo-efl

28 minutes ago, kit said:

Think it's a lot more complicated than you suggest. I don't pretend to know the full story, but (if I've read correctly) it appears a previous owner Stewart Day took out loans in Bury's name to prop up his other Companies - Gigg Lane being the asset needed. These loans are at premium rates, and mean Bury have to find £1500 a day to finance them. If we had to find £10,000 a week before paying for anything else, I reckon we would have similar problems.

They are supposedly £8 million in debt, so I reckon they've had it. As usual it's a shame for the fans, but they will hopefully be back sooner or later.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/11/bury-takeover-without-full-football-league-approval-transfer-embargo-efl

Criminal. Call the Police. 

Oh goody, can we have a BOD like that, totally unknown & untried, they could promise loadsamoney for players etc. then we can go bust.......suspect we are far better sticking with Mr B & Bobby H thank you.

Whether Bury are shortly liquidated over this (which, horribly, seems to be the case) or vengeance is wrought instead on those who played silly buggers with them through the years (or a combination of the two), seems to be down to a preference.

Bury have been widely known in Bolton as "The Bucket Shakers" due to their regular hijinks in boom-and-bust football. That's the way Bury have gone for most of my life. Now however, both are in peril and I'd hope either set of fans want mutual survival. There's a very bleak humour in their derby, early in the season, being scheduled as a televised fixture. A bit like GOD TV broadcasting the 21st December 2012 apocalypse.

When reports of Bury's death were previously exaggerated several years ago, they were dropping out of the third tier in such a miserable style that fewer than 1,300 I remember turned up to watch them play Stevenage at home. With the debts amassed in their latest designs on the big time threatening to close them down through former chairman Brian Fenton, a new owner came in of the name Stewart Day, saved the club on the 11th hour, and announced them debt-free. This came without warning bar maybe a blog on the 200% website via a Port Vale fan, who'd noticed Day bringing in the former Valiants CEO who had previously made them a crisis club. Bury had spent two seasons in L1.

Stewart Day himself has, or had until recently, an up-and-coming career as a property developer for student accommodation in Yorkshire and Lancashire. He soon took out a £1m loan on 138% interest, secured on Gigg Lane itself. He'd done similar previously on a company called Cash4Assets Ltd. Not a single alarm bell in any of that, then!

Day proceeded to overhaul the club in many ways, taking over Man City's huge training complex of Carrington, updating many of the facilities on the inside and being big on publicising the renovation works, using laser technology to flatten the pitch (which had nobbles for example in the Cemetery End's enclosed corner and in the goalmouths), bringing in a super-bright new scoreboard, and emblazoning photographs of big-name signings on the backs of the grandstand for all to see as Gigg Lane was approached.

Bury struggled but eventually consolidated well in their first season back down. For the second season, they went up again under David Flitcroft, a good manager when equipped with so much money despite alienating fans close to the club, and spent an improved three seasons up there, albeit spending most of it in a managerial merry-go-round before finishing 24th in a weak but spirited manner. Some big names went through the club in that time including Jermaines Pennant and Beckford, Harry Bunn and James Vaughan.

Despite a slow start last season, it was clear the money had far from run out in terms of personnel. Danny Mayor remained at Bury in the prime of his career, alongside Jay O'Shea for which the same can be said, along with plenty of others whose football was very easy on the eye: Nicky Adams, Callum McFadzean, Dominic Telford, Nicky Danns, Chris Stokes, Byron Moore, Caolan Lavery and Jordan Rossiter from Rangers. When they got going the football was some of the best I've ever seen live, being fast, clinical, and attack-based with countless games where three or more were scored, as well as quite a few conceded, a far cry from the Fullartonball on display just over the Pennines. There was a slight slowdown over Christmas and when wages weren't paid in March when the club's problems were there for all to see, but the team came together in an impressive way, did it for one another, and thanks to Ryan Lowe's team spirit put in enough solid performances towards the end of the season to secure promotion.

Compared to life under the South Stand roof, being a Bury fan seems docile. The kids get bored and sit down after singing for 20 minutes. I was under the Cowshed at Tranmere Rovers where, serendipitously, Bury were promoted twice in the space of four years. There was a real reaction to the victory in 2015, but following a more dramatic game this April, the atmosphere was still more muted. Compare the reaction to the equalising Bury goal coming in to send them up to the Shaycam when the second goal went in for us on Tuesday. It's a similar reaction. At the promotion party back at Gigg Lane too, the crowd wasn't as large as it could've been, and there wasn't the strongest response to Jordan Rossiter's thunderbastard going in. A fair number got onto the pitch at the end and padded about pretty aimlessly, while the man on the PA acknowledged it hadn't been an easy season to pull together. The general impression seemed to be that at least more attention could be found for Bury's plight in the third tier, and they were more likely to be safeguarded. There was very little focus on actually being a L1 side that next season.

But football fans can often be stupidly gullible and no more so than at Gigg Lane. Even following two seasons under Stewart Day, he came out and celebrated on the pitch while being heaped with praise. This is AFTER national news stories of him taking out a loan on the ground, WHILE it was clear there was some ludicrous spending going on. His start took a long time to fall, and he was out not too long after, last December.

The new bloke came in, Steve Dale, and allegedly secured the club for the time being by paying off debts. He declared a more sustainable footing for the future, and did some token "#myclub"-type branding. Initially, he was welcomed! but that love had run out by the end of the season and contributed to the weirdly ambivalent attitude fans around me had to promotion. He now wants £2m for the club. What kind of person is willing to spend that sort of money on such a hopeless burden? Yep, another big business monkey, another huckster, another schmuck who doesn't have the team or town at heart.

Football is a mirror into our corrupt and ludicrous economic system, neither exaggerated nor underplayed, but it often makes the state of the wider world very clear. We live and breathe within football, feel what happens when we succeed and fail, and there are fewer political forces trying to suppress the realities of when things go wrong. In this cash-and-assets arms race, a lot of things are going wrong again.

Despite Bury fans' veneer of being bovine, easily led and not too arsed, Dale has written clapbacks to his detractors in the forms of official club statements, where he threatens lifetime bans to fans protesting outside his house, and ugly scenes at friendly games. It's a club handed down generation after generation, as few others will take to the most humdrum of towns with the most generic of footballing stories: past glories followed by a long contraction in support, yo-yoing the leagues and never standing out in ethos or style. Stewart Day will continue to make rampant capital fleecing others if his empire can be rebuilt, and may never enter the city walls again. Steve Dale refuses to field or even declare a team or reveal the current status of the club as matches are called off and an embargo on news is imposed from within. He will soon be long-gone too. Bury fans had always been pollyannaish, especially given their club's history, about present risks, but whatever happens in the next 12 months, by next August there will be a good 3,000 regulars in whatever league, watching a team that represents Bury and getting quietly behind them, specifically Bury FC (1885). And hopefully this time, they'll be wiser to rich men bearing gifts.

We have 14 days to save this great club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It all sounds very desperate. I doubt HMRC will be any different than they were with us.

The EFL will also demand full payment of football debts too.

FC Bury in NECL is the likeliest outcome.

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of Bury but from what I've been told the club have been living beyond their means for years, prior to the latest set of shysters coming in. 

The best thing they can do is go bust and go bust quickly to show the league up. What more of a farce than have a club that is famous enough that most football fans will known about them  in this country fail to kick a ball all season and the league to run a team short. Get Bolton to go under too and hopefully the warning signs will finally be heard.

The likes of Salford, FGR, Crawley, Fleetwood are the new money clubs, where when they go bust most people won't give a seconds thoughts to. Now the financial doping is hitting more traditional clubs and causing them problems more people will take note. 

2 minutes ago, Flea said:

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of Bury but from what I've been told the club have been living beyond their means for years, prior to the latest set of shysters coming in. 

The best thing they can do is go bust and go bust quickly to show the league up. What more of a farce than have a club that is famous enough that most football fans will known about them  in this country fail to kick a ball all season and the league to run a team short. Get Bolton to go under too and hopefully the warning signs will finally be heard.

The likes of Salford, FGR, Crawley, Fleetwood are the new money clubs, where when they go bust most people won't give a seconds thoughts to. Now the financial doping is hitting more traditional clubs and causing them problems more people will take note. 

It would take a London club to go under and even then I doubt they'd do anything.

Money is king.

44 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

It would take a London club to go under and even then I doubt they'd do anything.

Money is king.

No, it will take a Premier League London Club to die - Chelski anybody?

5 minutes ago, andrich said:

No, it will take a Premier League London Club to die - Chelski anybody?

It'll never happen. Special dispensation will come into play and they'll be saved. Also, there's be some rich Asian person waiting on the wings to sort them out.