Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldskir

Who would want to take over our club?

Norm wrote about our club:

Why would anyone else be interested in taking it over?

There are no assets,  they don't own the ground

It really depends how you look at this.

West Ham don't own their ground, they seem to be doing quite well in the Premiership!

We may not own our ground, but I would say our tenure is reasonably secure there, with it coming under the Council and being listed I think as a "community asset". We are not in the position that say Coventry City face at the Ricoh with a rather difficult private landlord.

Another asset is that our ground is already up to League 1 standard, maybe even Championship. Any new club owner could concentrate on putting money in to the football side of things, and not be in a Salford or Fleetwood type situation where new money has to be spent putting up new stands etc. We already have a great arena suitable for football at a higher level. We just need the right owner/ BOD willing to put some pump priming investment in to the playing side of things. There is great potential for this club to move forward under the right level of ambition and some investment.

18 minutes ago, oldskir said:

West Ham don't own their ground, they seem to be doing quite well in the Premiership!

We may not own our ground, but I would say our tenure is reasonably secure there, with it coming under the Council and being listed I think as a "community asset". We are not in the position that say Coventry City face at the Ricoh with a rather difficult private landlord.

Another asset is that our ground is already up to League 1 standard, maybe even Championship. Any new club owner could concentrate on putting money in to the football side of things, and not be in a Salford or Fleetwood type situation where new money has to be spent putting up new stands etc. We already have a great arena suitable for football at a higher level. We just need the right owner/ BOD willing to put some pump priming investment in to the playing side of things. There is great potential for this club to move forward under the right level of ambition and some investment.

Yeah, but other than gate receipts abd a few local sponsors, where are the income streams? 

Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

DB gets a lot of criticism for having tight purse strings, but he has built a solid foundation which, despite some turbulence over the last few weeks, is a steady business model which is mostly self-sustainable.

I have read comments about DB not putting his hand in his own pocket as he is worth £40m. I do not think he would risk pumping 500k-1m a year into the club over the next few years, as that would be a decent chunk of his worth and if it doesn't bring success it is tricky to reduce that expenditure and he will have to keep pumping money in until he sold the club, or he pulled out and we go under again.

The best course of action would be to possibly look for an investor to join the BOD and inject some funds in.

I believe the Skircoat will be condemned within the next couple of years if it is left as it is but if someone was to buy the club that isn’t their worry.

How about Chris Dunphy, former Rochdale chairman. He was recently set to take over Gateshead, promising them a competitive budget. We would be more attractive to him than them.

The one thing we all have to be massively wary of is that 99% of people wanting to buy our club would be in it to sell the Shay for private development. 

I'll trust the current BOD simply because this won't happen under their personal watch. If they did sell though then the club would go to the highest bidder, plain and simple. The motives of the highest bidder are then not their problem and left to the buyer to decide alone, and seeing how enthusiastic the locals are to see a successful football club in Halifax the chance of an outsider businessman taking an altruistic interest in Halifax Town becoming the best team in Yorkshire without any doubt are a thousand times less. 

A new owner can't sell the ground (it's council owned ). Abbott tried and got nowhere due to the vigilance of town fans.:shh:

I wonder why hobby clubs like Fylde attract money men whereas we don’t? Personally I feel we are a much bigger club and like you say oldskir there is so much potential.

We are a hobby club. Absolute certainty. It's just that the BoD is full of canny Yorkshiremen with deep pockets and short arms. If/when they leave, Town is a prime target for someone who wants to try their hand at running a football club. The ground is off limits so that should weed out most of the spivs and the speculators, but otherwise we're a good prospect for getting into the Football League with minimal investment.

On 7/16/2019, 5:08:06, oldskir said:

With respect mate. WHU and the way they swindled the country out of the Olympic Stadium is not a good example. 

Perhaps I can see this from a different perspective because I am not a life long fan but what I would say is that with the current BOD there will never be a situation where they spend what they don't have so you won't get a Bolton, Macclesfield or Bury and you will always have a club.

I called to the Shay after work this afternoon as my mate was getting some rugby tickets redeemed. 

Spoke to a bloke from the rugby office and we were chatting about Halifax town's office and the new one next door to them. 

I took it all with a pinch of salt but he said we are £50k behind with rent, then said we never paid rent on that building between the South stand and Skircoat. 

He blamed us for the pitch because "they cut it too short for the football" 

I had a sneaky walk into the banqueting room to look out of the balcony and the pitch looked nice, (although I aren't a groundsman and underfoot it might be awful) 

The crush barriers and steels have had a lick of paint and it's looking very good. 

The stupid old fool was even moaning that they only painted it because of the new football season!!! It's a shared community ground. Why complain when it's done up nice!!!! 

Anyway. I love being a grass but I've no need to lie! 

Why can't we both just share and get along ffs. 

Just now, Icke's Lizard said:

I called to the Shay after work this afternoon as my mate was getting some rugby tickets redeemed. 

Spoke to a bloke from the rugby office and we were chatting about Halifax town's office and the new one next door to them. 

I took it all with a pinch of salt but he said we are £50k behind with rent, then said we never paid rent on that building between the South stand and Skircoat. 

He blamed us for the pitch because "they cut it too short for the football" 

I had a sneaky walk into the banqueting room to look out of the balcony and the pitch looked nice, (although I aren't a groundsman and underfoot it might be awful) 

The crush barriers and steels have had a lick of paint and it's looking very good. 

The stupid old fool was even moaning that they only painted it because of the new football season!!! It's a shared community ground. Why complain when it's done up nice!!!! 

Anyway. I love being a grass but I've no need to lie! 

Exactly 

2 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Because your experience shows what Fax are like to deal with.

Just now, Hoddie said:

Because your experience shows what Fax are like to deal with.

I've no hatred of them but I agree that people like him are a-holes. He seemed nice enough but everything was a dig at Halifax town. 

Its his hometown team so he should want us to do well. 

Its just a shame that we can't have stronger ties tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

It would be great if we all got on but we don´t and never will I am afraid.

Be intrigued to know from the older fans, what was the relationship like before they moved to the shay? If one existed at all

Just now, Luke said:

Be intrigued to know from the older fans, what was the relationship like before they moved to the shay? If one existed at all

I was friends with Colin Dixon so I used to watch him when I could but I never really would say we got on as clubs but do not know why tbh.

11 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

It would be great if we all got on but we don´t and never will I am afraid.

Not all of us. I want any team that represents our town to do well 

As far as I'm aware they were a major piece in the puzzle, along with Jim Brown & family as to why the FC is now at the front and not the end of the title Halifax Town. 

Nobody else

happy with the current lot .. not perfect but they are genuine

Just now, PeterPan said:

I’ve done the lottery tonight! 96m would that help?

Not to some on this board.. :)