Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoddie

Wages

Recommended Posts

Just now, bolt45 said:

If you look at that list Fylde,Harrogate,Eastleigh and Solihull all bank rolled. Notts County and Woking will have their payments for dropping from league 2. Chesterfield, Wrexham and Hartlepool have better crowds than us and always have had. Borehamwoo must be bank rolled they only averaged 871 last season. So we either need someone to invest their millions or find about another 3000 supporters. 

I would like to see us build up our scouting network again and engage with the community more. The season ticket off is a step in the right direction, as are other initiatives.

The National League is a tough league to be in when you're not bankrolled and you don't have bumper crowds for that level. However, it's possible to be successful if you're on the ball both on and off the pitch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greygoose said:

As I've said on many occasions the root problem is the town of Halifax does not want a football club at a decent level.

The fact we cant sell more than 600 season ticketa at dirt cheap pricea tell us all we need to know.

Couple that with fact 3/4 of the league spend more than they bring in and its no surpise we find ourselves in this position.

Blame the BOD, blame the manager infact whoever you wish but unless we become bankrolled were a poor National league outfit.

 

If we have sold 600 season tickets I`d consider that quite an achievement.

Fact is, we aren`t funded by a `sugar daddy`, we are surrounded by loads of clubs playing at mostly a higher and better standard (with some tempting deals to be had in recent years to `new` supporters), and sadly the last three years have provided the supporters with zero excitement and entertainment.

The boring, tedious, defensive, formulaic garbage served up has alienated many, many fans who have turned their back on the club. They don`t expect to see a `winning side` - this is Halifax Town for Gods sake - but the dross on display started with Billy Heath and then got worse and has continued to do so. People get out of the habit of going, and it`s hard to tempt them back.

Sad to say I attended less games last season than at any time during the last 50 years, and now have little inclination to waste any of whats left of my life watching the turgid uninspiring rubbish I endured last season. When asked if I am going to a game, my response is likely to be "Christ, no!".

I miss not going, miss the craic I used to have with the other long-standing supporters who have also turned their backs on the club, and feel that it is time, after decades of appeals, bucket collections, crisis meetings etc, etc to say `enough is enough`. Give the public something to watch and they will turn up. Similarly, if footballers enjoy playing the game it is fully understandable that they wouldn`t want to sign if they are treated like automatons and have any flair and self-expression coached out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Angus said:

If we have sold 600 season tickets I`d consider that quite an achievement.

Fact is, we aren`t funded by a `sugar daddy`, we are surrounded by loads of clubs playing at mostly a higher and better standard (with some tempting deals to be had in recent years to `new` supporters), and sadly the last three years have provided the supporters with zero excitement and entertainment.

The boring, tedious, defensive, formulaic garbage served up has alienated many, many fans who have turned their back on the club. They don`t expect to see a `winning side` - this is Halifax Town for Gods sake - but the dross on display started with Billy Heath and then got worse and has continued to do so. People get out of the habit of going, and it`s hard to tempt them back.

Sad to say I attended less games last season than at any time during the last 50 years, and now have little inclination to waste any of whats left of my life watching the turgid uninspiring rubbish I endured last season. When asked if I am going to a game, my response is likely to be "Christ, no!".

I miss not going, miss the craic I used to have with the other long-standing supporters who have also turned their backs on the club, and feel that it is time, after decades of appeals, bucket collections, crisis meetings etc, etc to say `enough is enough`. Give the public something to watch and they will turn up. Similarly, if footballers enjoy playing the game it is fully understandable that they wouldn`t want to sign if they are treated like automatons and have any flair and self-expression coached out of them.

It’s sad that fans like yourselves of many many years have to feel like that too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Angus said:

If we have sold 600 season tickets I`d consider that quite an achievement.

Fact is, we aren`t funded by a `sugar daddy`, we are surrounded by loads of clubs playing at mostly a higher and better standard (with some tempting deals to be had in recent years to `new` supporters), and sadly the last three years have provided the supporters with zero excitement and entertainment.

The boring, tedious, defensive, formulaic garbage served up has alienated many, many fans who have turned their back on the club. They don`t expect to see a `winning side` - this is Halifax Town for Gods sake - but the dross on display started with Billy Heath and then got worse and has continued to do so. People get out of the habit of going, and it`s hard to tempt them back.

Sad to say I attended less games last season than at any time during the last 50 years, and now have little inclination to waste any of whats left of my life watching the turgid uninspiring rubbish I endured last season. When asked if I am going to a game, my response is likely to be "Christ, no!".

I miss not going, miss the craic I used to have with the other long-standing supporters who have also turned their backs on the club, and feel that it is time, after decades of appeals, bucket collections, crisis meetings etc, etc to say `enough is enough`. Give the public something to watch and they will turn up. Similarly, if footballers enjoy playing the game it is fully understandable that they wouldn`t want to sign if they are treated like automatons and have any flair and self-expression coached out of them.

I can't understand people giving up watching a team yet continuing to read msg boards etc, have they lost interest or not?

As for ST sales, sorry but i dont believe its a good effort at all. We simply dont have the support required.

That said we are a mess atm and those still considering a ST will have probably had their minds made up now. 

Not sure what the answer is because if we dont have the funds then thats that. The club just need to say it though, fans would be more sympathetic if the were given an honest line or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely do not understand any non league football fan turning their back on their team. You are already so much better than the majority by not following the crowds and supporting who the media says is fashionable. Stick with it. That Wembley win is surely worth 50 years of hurt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, greygoose said:

I can't understand people giving up watching a team yet continuing to read msg boards etc, have they lost interest or not?

As for ST sales, sorry but i dont believe its a good effort at all. We simply dont have the support required.

That said we are a mess atm and those still considering a ST will have probably had their minds made up now. 

Not sure what the answer is because if we dont have the funds then thats that. The club just need to say it though, fans would be more sympathetic if the were given an honest line or 2.

Interesting thought. Especially as he has said it 

DB talks about it being tough bringing in the players we want in the budget we have 

and on here he abused for being negative and not throwing cash at the club.. 

seems like the truth is not good enough for some .. they would rather have lies that sound nice .. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick said:

Interesting thought. Especially as he has said it 

DB talks about it being tough bringing in the players we want in the budget we have 

and on here he abused for being negative and not throwing cash at the club.. 

seems like the truth is not good enough for some .. they would rather have lies that sound nice .. 

 

 

Hardly gets abused. No one has said throw cash at the club or called him negative. 

People want the club to progress and whilst he is in charge that’s not happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TJAshton said:

Hardly gets abused. No one has said throw cash at the club or called him negative. 

People want the club to progress and whilst he is in charge that’s not happening. 

I’ve not got an issue with Bosomworth. Do I agree with the way we still stringently to a budget? Not really. But at least he tries backing the manager the best he feels he can. His management recruitment is lacking (including the current incumbent), but he has the best interests of the club at heart. I agree it’s unlikely we will get to the football league with him, but I don’t think he is the issue here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Luke said:

I’ve not got an issue with Bosomworth. Do I agree with the way we still stringently to a budget? Not really. But at least he tries backing the manager the best he feels he can. His management recruitment is lacking (including the current incumbent), but he has the best interests of the club at heart. I agree it’s unlikely we will get to the football league with him, but I don’t think he is the issue here

It’s just frustrating that’s all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

It’s just frustrating that’s all.

You also have to wonder how its effecting the current players under contract, how are they expected to be up to speed?

Imagine what players like Brown & Clarke are thinking right now with all their experience in the game.

To me JF has to shoulder some blame aswell, he has a budget and its his job to recruit within that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, greygoose said:

You also have to wonder how its effecting the current players under contract, how are they expected to be up to speed?

Imagine what players like Brown & Clarke are thinking right now with all their experience in the game.

To me JF has to shoulder some blame aswell, he has a budget and its his job to recruit within that.

For me, he has to shoulder the majority. He joined us knowing our budget would be mid range if not lower. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, greygoose said:

You also have to wonder how its effecting the current players under contract, how are they expected to be up to speed?

Imagine what players like Brown & Clarke are thinking right now with all their experience in the game.

To me JF has to shoulder some blame aswell, he has a budget and its his job to recruit within that.

Correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TJAshton said:

No it’s not that the town don’t want success and to play at a decent level. We took over 12k to Wembley (not official figures but there were certainly more there than they announced), Bradford at home got over 4K fans, Chorley for the final got 6000 fans. If the team shows progression and entertainment the fans will come. 

Prime example is Lincoln they were getting 1400-1600 when we were better than them. They brought in two managers who re United the club and brought succes and created a real bond with the fans. Now getting over 5000 fans. 

correct, the BOD balance the books but are clueless about growth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Luke said:

For me, he has to shoulder the majority. He joined us knowing our budget would be mid range if not lower. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to him

To me this is the major issue I am currently having.

Im going to spitball with figures here - THESE ARE NOT ACCURATE, BUT ARE USED FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSE ONLY, however say this is the situation that has unfolded -

Season ends, we have been running with an annual wage budget of 500K, which is currently all used up. The board tell JF that he has the same budget for the following season, so he needs to release players out of contract or move on those he doesn't want to free up the wage budget. 

JF isn't happy as he feels he really needs a budget of 700K instead. 

He has two options - he tells the board the budget of 500K is not suitable and he needs more money, or he accepts the budget is 500K and gets to work with that budget. 

If he tells the board 500K is not suitable the board have two responses - they either increase it, or tell him it can't be increased.

If its increased then JF goes to build a team with the budget he has agreed. If it is rejected JF either says he can't do the job and as such leaves the club, or he agrees to do the job on 500K and then goes to build a team on that budget. 

If JF agrees on a budget in May, then finds by June that it simply isn't good enough he would have to go to the board and explain this to them. If the board say it is good enough then either JF finds a way to make it work, or he walks. If the board agree the budget isn't good enough, they increase it and JF goes to work building the team...

We are now 4 weeks away from season start and have 11 contracted players. The budget may be an issue, however the person in charge of the team (JF) at some point must have agreed to it, however reluctantly and as such must live and die by that decision. 

The board may have snookered JF and put him in a hard or impossible position, however if thats the case JF agreed to those terms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be agents asking for bigger wages for their players, as has already been mentioned but we have Kossy's wage to play with now he's moved on and we received a fee for Edwards so there should be a little give in our budget IMO. I'm not talking silly money but maybe as much as 10%.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of players will be available within our budget . Getting the right players from those available players is the hard task . That task is now made harder by not have sufficient time to do due diligence on eight out of eighty prospective targets . We could ship in mercenaries on 3 month contracts but how many players would be willing to take us up on that option ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TJAshton said:

No one has said throw cash at the club...

But that's the only conclusion we can draw from your complaints about the budget. I asked you twice previously what you would propose the BoD do about it? Spend a little more, spend double? You've twice failed to answer. If by living within its means the club only has a certain amount of cash, with little prospect of generating significantly more any time soon, then what's your answer? I would never suggest someone shouldn't criticise unless they themselves have an answer but the sum of your posts suggest you believe in magic :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

But that's the only conclusion we can draw from your complaints about the budget. I asked you twice previously what you would propose the BoD do about it? Spend a little more, spend double? You've twice failed to answer. If by living within its means the club only has a certain amount of cash, with little prospect of generating significantly more any time soon, then what's your answer? I would never suggest someone shouldn't criticise unless they themselves have an answer but the sum of your posts suggest you believe in magic :)

Did Bosomworth one day past turn up on Leeds Road in Huddersfield with nothing and build a showroom. filled it with BMW's and start selling them? Does any businessman? There has to be initial outlay, speculate to accumulate. The odd one or two might work their balls off for years and save up but highly unlikely nowadays. You either have to get a loan or have a rich benefactor to get your foot on a rung of the ladder.

We have more than one millionaire on the BOD. The saying 'The Richer they are the tighter they are' fits perfectly for them . Nobody has asked them to throw a fortune at the club but it is obvious they will spend not one penny of their fortunes. Some fans gloat that 'at least we have a club' (aye, they killed the last one, history n'all) as though it is some kind of success to survive alongside nothing more than village pub teams.

If those supporters are happy dwelling in the nether regions of football then there is no point stopping at The Shay, it is too big, Now if I think that just think what some Councillors think, what the non footballing tax payers think. The Shay will always be eyed by others for other things and it is that what puts the survival of The Shaymen on the edge of the abyss. Invest at least a little or put the club up for sale, the present carry on is embarrassing and is only driving more fans away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TJAshton said:

It’s just frustrating that’s all.

Yes it is !!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hoddie said:

But that's the only conclusion we can draw from your complaints about the budget. I asked you twice previously what you would propose the BoD do about it? Spend a little more, spend double? You've twice failed to answer. If by living within its means the club only has a certain amount of cash, with little prospect of generating significantly more any time soon, then what's your answer? I would never suggest someone shouldn't criticise unless they themselves have an answer but the sum of your posts suggest you believe in magic :)

I have answered actually. They can’t do anything that’s why I said we need a fresh face/faces in the club. If they can’t do anything then we will have to deal with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very wise words from Shaytrev when he asks the BOD to " Invest at least a little or put the club up for sale".

Another worry, by the way, when we look at only 11 contracted players.

Two of those are potential crocks/weak links.

Josh Mcdonald given his very lenghthy injury.

And Duckworth, his injury record is very poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be surprised if we stay up this season the way it's looking. I just don't see 4 other clubs being worse than this current situation we have here. Can see us being as wretched as Chester and Telford were a couple of years back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jumbo1 said:

I'll be surprised if we stay up this season the way it's looking. I just don't see 4 other clubs being worse than this current situation we have here. Can see us being as wretched as Chester and Telford were a couple of years back.

 

Nope, we´ll make the POs. Under the radar. Loads of signings this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...