Sign in to follow this  
Richmond96

Retained list for next season

I just cant help thinking it's a bit of a luxury really?? Absolutely nothing against Rowley, but why would you want to sit in the dug out week in week out?? I thought as a pro he would want to be out there playing. Short career and all that!!! From what I've seen of him he looks pretty decent. But his wage could be spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

I just cant help thinking it's a bit of a luxury really?? Absolutely nothing against Rowley, but why would you want to sit in the dug out week in week out?? I thought as a pro he would want to be out there playing. Short career and all that!!! From what I've seen of him he looks pretty decent. But his wage could be spent elsewhere.

Depends really. Johnson is out of contract in the summer. Who knows if he wants to stay or move on, if he does Rowley could step rignt in

Greggs

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 3,421 posts
1 hour ago, archietaylor7 said:

Depends really. Johnson is out of contract in the summer. Who knows if he wants to stay or move on, if he does Rowley could step rignt in

__________________________________________________________________________________________

That's fair enough Greggs, but we dont need two keepers as such!!!

3 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Andy Woods was backup to Lee Martin but this was back in the day of 2 from 3 subs, so keepers rarely made the bench. I thought Phil Morgan came in from Stoke but same area so you could be right, then Andy Rhodes took over as you say.

Could have been Stoke come to think of it.

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Yes Solihull managed by ex England keeper Tim Flowers (sorry I previously put his dads name Ron).

Maybe Harry can do a job in the sticks if they are out of options ?

5 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

I think I'm right in saying that there was at least one club in our league this season who didn't have a second string keeper, when the No1 went off injured he was replaced with an outfield player, very old school, but most teams will have a player capable of taking over between the sticks!!! And I thought, or so I've been told, at this 5th tier level we can bring in loanee's at any given time????

Think you’re referring to Maidenhead away at Havant, losing 7-1. They had a second choice keeper, but he was on a dual contract elsewhere. Alan Devonshire chooses to not have a sub GK as they are very rarely needed. Re Loanees. We can bring in them (or permanent signings) until the last Thursday in March

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luke said:

Think you’re referring to Maidenhead away at Havant, losing 7-1. They had a second choice keeper, but he was on a dual contract elsewhere. Alan Devonshire chooses to not have a sub GK as they are very rarely needed. Re Loanees. We can bring in them (or permanent signings) until the last Thursday in March

Unless you are Cambridge and can feign injuries and get a keeper from Leicester fro the play-offs!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

If we signed one of Duku or Rodney we are all aware they'll be hit by the 'Halifax Town' curse don't we?

Season ending injuries? 

That, and generally turning sh1te when signed permanent...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewalsh said:

Unless you are Cambridge and can feign injuries and get a keeper from Leicester fro the play-offs!

That is true! There are different rules in place regarding “emergency loans” for goalkeepers whereby you can loan a GK out of this timeframe. I’m not sure on the actual regulations, but I think you have to prove all GK are unfit. How that is determined is anyone’s guess!

Luke

•  
  • Members
  • 3,021 posts
22 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

I think I'm right in saying that there was at least one club in our league this season who didn't have a second string keeper, when the No1 went off injured he was replaced with an outfield player, very old school, but most teams will have a player capable of taking over between the sticks!!! And I thought, or so I've been told, at this 5th tier level we can bring in loanee's at any given time????

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes I think your right there Luke, however, over the course of a season if you lost your keeper mid game and an outfielder had to take his place, I think you would accept the situation whatever the score turned out??? I think overall it would justify spending the wage you save on a second keeper elsewhere. I just cant help thinking it's a luxury we cant afford at this level. And week on week when I see the reserve keeper sat in the dug out with his feet up it kind of rankles me (not Rowley's fault).But if the money saved was spread over say three other outfield players adding a few grand to their wages then we would get better quality across the pitch!!!!!

On 18/04/2019, 16:13:38, archietaylor7 said:

Luke

•  
  • Members
  • 3,021 posts

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes I think your right there Luke, however, over the course of a season if you lost your keeper mid game and an outfielder had to take his place, I think you would accept the situation whatever the score turned out??? I think overall it would justify spending the wage you save on a second keeper elsewhere. I just cant help thinking it's a luxury we cant afford at this level. And week on week when I see the reserve keeper sat in the dug out with his feet up it kind of rankles me (not Rowley's fault).But if the money saved was spread over say three other outfield players adding a few grand to their wages then we would get better quality across the pitch!!!!!

I completely agree. We should have the youth team GK on the bench to free up a bit of wage elsewhere. Jordan Porter was on £300 a week, but when he said he was leaving, he was offered £500! Be interested to know from Shaymen stats how many games since 08 has the “back up” keeper made a competitive (I.e. league/fa cup/fa trophy) appearance 

• Like 1

Keep Staunton and Maher for next season and possibly use Staunton as a CB with Brown and put Maher in front of the defence but we definitely need a complete new midfield with forwards.

45 minutes ago, SHAY man said:

Keep Staunton and Maher for next season and possibly use Staunton as a CB with Brown and put Maher in front of the defence but we definitely need a complete new midfield with forwards.

Instead of Clarke or just as a back up?

On 17/04/2019, 16:43:52, archietaylor7 said:

I think if Town can retain the core of the defence and King & Berrett there will be a good basis to build on. I think we all agree that real main failing this season has been lack of goals so therefore it says that we have to go all out in search of some quality up front. Edwards has to go, Odalusi and for me Southwell. I know some out there think he could make a decent striker, but I'm sorry, for me I would disagree. I have put forward his stats previously and allowing for his injury, I still haven't changed my opinion. No harm to him and I would thank him for his efforts and let him go. Kosy will be gone anyway, I think he has wanted to go for ages, his body language has been very telling of late, much as I do like the lad and he brings a bit of excitement when he decides to get involved, he doesn't want to be here so let him go. Sadly, Duku & Rodney will go, but they have shown that there are lads out there who frighten defences to death and more importantly score goals!!!! One other change I would make squad wise, and I've touched on this previously, I wouldn't have a second goalkeeper!!!! Radical maybe, but based on our last couple of seasons we are paying a wage that could be used elsewhere. Should anything happen to Johnson (or whoever our keeper maybe) it would not be an issue to bring someone in on loan???? P.S. Keep Josh MacDonald. Hopefully a fully fit Josh is our other exiting player, with a central striker to aim at he gives us some pace and crossing ability. Him and Hanson could reap havoc down the right side!!!!

Sorry but don’t rate Berrett. Adds nothing to the side and his corners have led to nothing. We can do better in such an important position. Maher is better.

Agree with everything else although I would be interested to see Southwell with a decent partner.

On another topic has Rodney been our best loan signing ever?

2 hours ago, shaymenRup said:

Sorry but don’t rate Berrett. Adds nothing to the side and his corners have led to nothing. We can do better in such an important position. Maher is better.

Agree with everything else although I would be interested to see Southwell with a decent partner.

No, not yet. If we sign him full time and he goes to a Championship club for over £250 000 then maybe.

Edited by Erik Everhard

1 hour ago, shaymenRup said:

Lee Gregory says hi.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lewis said:

Lee Gregory says hi.

Lee Gregory signed for us. I’m talking exclusively about loan signings. I can only think of Dave Longhurst 6 goals in 12 games being as productive as Rodney.