Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoddie

Online Courier

Recommended Posts

I keep my PC reasonably up-to-date and yet it always struggles to deal with the online Courier website. I tried to visit again today after a long self-imposed break and the same thing happened. I took a look at the source code and, well, have a look yourself.

If you're using Microsoft Edge on a PC or a laptop, right-click on any blank area of this website and you'll see that each page pulls data and code from about 4 different sources. Most websites use about 10 to 15 sources. Now, with the debug window open, load the Evening Courier website. The list will be so full of sources that it won't even fit on your screen.

What the hell are they playing at? How many people are they sharing my data with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I keep my PC reasonably up-to-date and yet it always struggles to deal with the online Courier website. I tried to visit again today after a long self-imposed break and the same thing happened. I took a look at the source code and, well, have a look yourself.

If you're using Microsoft Edge on a PC or a laptop, right-click on any blank area of this website and you'll see that each page pulls data and code from about 4 different sources. Most websites use about 10 to 15 sources. Now, with the debug window open, load the Evening Courier website. The list will be so full of sources that it won't even fit on your screen.

What the hell are they playing at? How many people are they sharing my data with?

I can never get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t even understand what hoddie is talking about.... this time the fault is mine :(

normally it’s usually his ;););) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hoddie said:

I keep my PC reasonably up-to-date and yet it always struggles to deal with the online Courier website. I tried to visit again today after a long self-imposed break and the same thing happened. I took a look at the source code and, well, have a look yourself.

If you're using Microsoft Edge on a PC or a laptop, right-click on any blank area of this website and you'll see that each page pulls data and code from about 4 different sources. Most websites use about 10 to 15 sources. Now, with the debug window open, load the Evening Courier website. The list will be so full of sources that it won't even fit on your screen.

What the hell are they playing at? How many people are they sharing my data with?

It is by far the worst website I look at and easily the most frustrating. You click on one article and a different one opens. You start to read it and the screen goes blank and then an advert appears, and so on and so forth.

I have noticed that if I go on a clothes website before I go on the Courier, an advert with appear for the clothes website on the same page as the Courier one. So that does tie in with what you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pliny Harris said:

I take it as a loving tribute of the Halifax Town website from 2008–2012.

Don't know if its me. But every time I go on Towns own website it starts playing radio commentary of a game. Most annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Macam blue said:

Don't know if its me. But every time I go on Towns own website it starts playing radio commentary of a game. Most annoying.

It's the National League footage when I go on it. Depending on the day though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Courier website loads shite from over 60 sources, at least half of which contains JavaScript or other run on load code. This is what's slowing everything down. Time to put it on permanent hiatus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I have ever noticed that I I go on a clothes website before O go on the Courier, an advert with appear for the clothes website on the same page as the Courier one.

English translation please

at least the courier website is easy to read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Probably the cookies :( nasty little things

I thought were on about johngrantsnumber1 :lol:.

On the subject of cookies, when it asks do you accept these cookies, is it best to click on yes or no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I thought were on about johngrantsnumber1 :lol:.

On the subject of cookies, when it asks do you accept these cookies, is it best to click on yes or no?

My options are normally accept or **** off :lol: is there a no option ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

My options are normally accept or **** off :lol: is there a no option ?

Some sites still slow access if you click no. Maybe limited access compared to if you click accept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

It is by far the worst website I look at and easily the most frustrating. You click on one article and a different one opens. You start to read it and the screen goes blank and then an advert appears, and so on and so forth.

I have noticed that if I go on a clothes website before I go on the Courier, an advert with appear for the clothes website on the same page as the Courier one. So that does tie in with what you say.

'Clothes' mmm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Whinge whinge whinge is a fact. When does said poster post anything positive? Answer me that. You as well Pliny? 

You're a little obsessed with me aren't you? I'm in England in April, if I get chance I'll pop down to Elland and buy a shed or two from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Whinge whinge whinge 

Do you like the courier website? Or are you just adding absolutely zero to this thread through yet another of your pointless posts?

I'm totally with Hoddie, the Courier website is absolutely horrendous. Load the page...wait for the full page advert to load...scroll down...be taken back to the top to answer some completely irrelevant question...scroll down again, video starts playing...accidentally click on an advert you had no intention of visiting...and so it goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Whinge whinge whinge is a fact. When does said poster post anything positive? Answer me that. You as well Pliny? 

:lol: Am I answerable to anyone who's ever said owt bad about owt now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...