Sign in to follow this  
Erik Everhard

Unanimous

On 21/02/2019, 23:42:04, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Jimmy Harvey’s Barmy Army. Will be forever remembered in Shaymen history for being the manager of the FA Trophy winners. 

Correct but i would wager that had the Wembley carrot not been dangling then that side would not have been relegated. Too many performances after the Gateshead penalty win were indicative of a squad not prepared to put their bodies on the line should they have to give their (limited number available) Wembley suit to another player. 

Edited by noelm1979
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2019, 06:51:19, noelm1979 said:

Correct but i would wager that had the Wembley carrot not been dangling then that side would not habe been relegated. Too many performances after the Gateshead penalty win were indicative of a squad not prepared to put their bodies on the line should they have to give their (limited number available) Wembley suit to another player. 

I think at the time I was one who reluctantly favoured a Wembley win and relegation rather than the opposite outcome so I guess it's partly my fault! 

5 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

I think at the time I was one who reluctantly favoured a Wembley win and relegation rather than the opposite outcome so I guess it's partly my fault! 

I also took a Wembley trip and relegation. And we came back and admittedly coughed and spluttered our way through these past 2 seasons but we are (for now) back at this level 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaymen Stats said:

I also took a Wembley trip and relegation. And we came back and admittedly coughed and spluttered our way through these past 2 seasons but we are (for now) back at this level 

I was asked the same question last week. Am still of the belief that the win at Wembley has been the high point to present in our clubs history. Relegation hurt, but to beat a full time Grimsby who were odds on to turn us over at Wembley will live long in my memory.

With a little luck & some good planning from our BOD we may still see better times to come, we can always dream.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The beautiful game said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but for me this assertion is both unfair and somewhat baffling, bearing in mind 38pts gained late November to end of    season, after August - late November we had 10 was nothing short of miraculous! Losing Tuton was out of his hands and yes, with hindsight the Wembley run may have hurt us ultimately, but are we really holding that against him? Of many fine results under Harvey a 4-1 away win with 10 men, can anyone envisage that sort of performance coming from a Heath or Fullarton side? More than good record at Morecambe, yet relegation a certainty if he took over tomorrow!! No pleasing some people. Its of course hypothetical and after losing his job in such circumstances doubt he'd come back even if the job was on offer but my memory of his tactical nous with a less than stellar squad was very favourable 

Yes, he did change the formation and it was a success. He had to change it round again after Judas, I mean Tuton left and it wasn't as successful.

8 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Yes, he did change the formation and it was a success. He had to change it round again after Judas, I mean Tuton left and it wasn't as successful.

Do not blame Tuton. Bosomworth is solely to blame for that fiasco.

• Like 1

Just now, Shaytrev said:

Do not blame Tuton. Bosomworth is solely to blame for that fiasco.

Did Tuton not throw his toys out of the pram or at the very least, act unprofessionally when he knew Barnsley were in for him? Can't be absolved from all blame.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, away_day_blues said:

Did Tuton not throw his toys out of the pram or at the very least, act unprofessionally when he knew Barnsley were in for him? Can't be absolved from all blame.

We were in a relegation battle. Bosomworth knew it but thought only of the cash and wrongly thought we were safe. A weak Chairman who should have rejected any approach out of hand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burnleynill said:

it was the players mum who forced the move

HaHaHa, its the way you tell 'em !

• Like 2

Gonna stir the pot here and say that it was kind of fun yo-yoing down and up again.
*takes cover*

Of course I wouldn't want us to get relegated again because it's so risky going down to that level, and because the football is so crap, even if the away days draw better crowds and are on the whole cheaper and easier to get to. The Conf North and Conf National only have 2 promotion places, so an entire league campaign has to be done perfectly. I still think too many of us take it for granted what Bill Heath achieved in that season, or just didn't want to see Billy Heath succeed.

Jimmy Harvey set us up very well back then. That run between late Novemeber and the Grimsby match was spectacular. Ultimately though the players' egos were too much for him to handle. Add to that some crucial injuries and suspensions to our back 4 as well as Sam Walker who I've argued did a big job for us during our resurrection under Harvey, similar to the role Paul Marshall had played int he play-off season despite also appearing to be nowt special.

Tuton's departure just as he was looking like a decent striker is something that haunts me, because it confirmed to me that without again a ridiculously huge pot of money and lucrative contracts for our players, as soon as we get a player who is any way effective like him they'll last a maximum of half a season before a football league team comes knocking for them. Glad to see the gaffer and the board have knocked this problem on the head by signing mediocre players whom no clubs will be calling for any time soon!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

He's not. He refused to play. He wanted a better deal at a higher up club, which is understandable but it was the refusal to play which was in a unacceptable.

Did Bosomworth take the cash?

25 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

Gonna stir the pot here and say that it was kind of fun yo-yoing down and up again.
*takes cover*

Of course I wouldn't want us to get relegated again because it's so risky going down to that level, and because the football is so crap, even if the away days draw better crowds and are on the whole cheaper and easier to get to. The Conf North and Conf National only have 2 promotion places, so an entire league campaign has to be done perfectly. I still think too many of us take it for granted what Bill Heath achieved in that season, or just didn't want to see Billy Heath succeed.

Jimmy Harvey set us up very well back then. That run between late Novemeber and the Grimsby match was spectacular. Ultimately though the players' egos were too much for him to handle. Add to that some crucial injuries and suspensions to our back 4 as well as Sam Walker who I've argued did a big job for us during our resurrection under Harvey, similar to the role Paul Marshall had played int he play-off season despite also appearing to be nowt special.

Tuton's departure just as he was looking like a decent striker is something that haunts me, because it confirmed to me that without again a ridiculously huge pot of money and lucrative contracts for our players, as soon as we get a player who is any way effective like him they'll last a maximum of half a season before a football league team comes knocking for them. Glad to see the gaffer and the board have knocked this problem on the head by signing mediocre players whom no clubs will be calling for any time soon!

Didn’t enjoy watching many games under Billy Heath but at least you knew what you were getting, a tough, strong team who would battle and always get stuck in 100% and it was effective. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like Jamie Fullarton and I don’t believe he will win the majority of supporters around. I turn up to games expecting them to just carry on from the last no matter what same (lack of) tactics everything is the same so structured  and it stays the same week in week out and more importantly it doesn’t work. The Shay was so flat on Saturday even more so than usual. Then to hear the complete tripe JF spouts out after games makes it even worse if that is possible

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Cause he did 75k and then blamed Harvey for not reinvesting the 5k he made available to strengthen....:lol:

• Like 2

Say what you like about the Tuton fiasco, but I think it says a lot that Harvey deemed Waide Fairhurst to be an ideal Tuton replacement.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Say what you like about the Tuton fiasco, but I think it says a lot that Harvey deemed Waide Fairhurst to be an ideal Tuton replacement.

Wide Fairhurst would be a better option than All-but-useless though. We have progressed so far........

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Yes. Who refused to play when not injured? He could have done that for the rest of the season. The time was right for him and the club to part, not only for career but for our sakes too. We don't want players that don't want to play for the club.

• Like 1

This argument that Tuton refused to play is absolute nonsense. Town received a bid from Barnsley in the region of 60K which Bosomworth was more than happy with. Harvey felt like tuton should not play as he would not be at the club much longer and it was HIS choice not to play him in that 1-1 draw with welling. A game we’d have most likely won if tuton had played. Granted, on the face of it Tuton doesn’t have the best attitude but this constant attempt to demonise him as the epitome of what is wrong with the modern footballer is totally inaccurate and wrong. Bosomworth was responsible for the relegation as he sold tuton yet didn’t give Harvey the funds to find a suitable replacement so we ended up with fairhurst on a cheap deal.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Benfcht said:

This argument that Tuton refused to play is absolute nonsense. Town received a bid from Barnsley in the region of 60K which Bosomworth was more than happy with. Harvey felt like tuton should not play as he would not be at the club much longer and it was HIS choice not to play him in that 1-1 draw with welling. A game we’d have most likely won if tuton had played. Granted, on the face of it Tuton doesn’t have the best attitude but this constant attempt to demonise him as the epitome of what is wrong with the modern footballer is totally inaccurate and wrong. Bosomworth was responsible for the relegation as he sold tuton yet didn’t give Harvey the funds to find a suitable replacement so we ended up with fairhurst on a cheap deal.

Wow :wub:

On 17/02/2019, 08:21:39, awaydays said:

Me; we’re not going to get relegated, even at our current average we’ll have at least 50 points at the end of the season.

I agree it’s not good at the moment but getting shot of managers is a costly exercise.

I suspect JF has had his Stalybridge moment, let’s see what happens now and review at the end of the season.

There are far too many keyboard warriors on here that don’t support the club (they may have watched a few games many years ago) but try to speak for the majority.

Yesterday wasn’t great but we’re not that far away from winning games.

See you all at Maidstone.

What a set of muppets you lot really are. That’s officially unanimous! 

• Like 2

On 17/02/2019, 09:12:59, Hoddie said:

I just don't believe you. In the extremely unlikely scenario that you're being serious, what would it take for you to accept it's time he left? I also don't want to see Town become a club that prematurely sacks managers, but we're way beyond premature here. It's not like he's struggling to bridge the gap between mid-table and the playoffs, but with the absolute basics like having no recognised striker on the field when your team hasn't scored in nearly two months!! It's simply not credible to believe he deserves more time.

How’s it going Hoddie? You and you mate Erik seem to have forgotten about this thread.

28 minutes ago, awaydays said:

How’s it going Hoddie? You and you mate Erik seem to have forgotten about this thread.

Not at all and it's your mate not you mate. Have you forgotten about trolling a pensioner now :wub:.

Anyway, great result. I never want any player to get injured but if we'd had our full time forwards to choose from we might not have stayed up. 

Give the manager some credit because he brought in the loan signings that have helped to keep us in this league and, if they stay fit, could help us achieve a top ten finish. You could then say we had a decent start and a great finish, but the majority in-between was woeful.