It’s the system stupid

PRS

As a Town fan of 60 years I can be as irrational and biased as every football fan is about their own team but as age mellows ones irrationality I would like to suggest a course of action that our BOD could consider.

i think we all realise that because of the limited amount of “ league money “ we receive in the National League the only way to get out is to buy your way out by doing it in one season like Salford, very sensible,   or over a sustained period  like Forest Green , more expensive.

Once you’re in Division 2 the amount of league money I believe is around £800K + so yes Accrington, who I equate as a similar type of club in terms of support, board wealth etc to Town can survive and in their case prosper.

We can all complain about inequality but I would suggest our Board would be wise to lead a National League campaign to get a bigger slice of the pie for clubs in our league and to campaign for financial FairPlay rules that ensure a more level playing field so that the Salford’s, Forest Greens and Fleetwoods don’t carry on passing through our league on the way to the Football League.

Yes I do know what Macclesfield achieved last year but for every Mac there are a lot more Salford’s out there.

5 hours ago, PRS said:

As a Town fan of 60 years I can be as irrational and biased as every football fan is about their own team but as age mellows ones irrationality I would like to suggest a course of action that our BOD could consider.

i think we all realise that because of the limited amount of “ league money “ we receive in the National League the only way to get out is to buy your way out by doing it in one season like Salford, very sensible,   or over a sustained period  like Forest Green , more expensive.

Once you’re in Division 2 the amount of league money I believe is around £800K + so yes Accrington, who I equate as a similar type of club in terms of support, board wealth etc to Town can survive and in their case prosper.

We can all complain about inequality but I would suggest our Board would be wise to lead a National League campaign to get a bigger slice of the pie for clubs in our league and to campaign for financial FairPlay rules that ensure a more level playing field so that the Salford’s, Forest Greens and Fleetwoods don’t carry on passing through our league on the way to the Football League.

Yes I do know what Macclesfield achieved last year but for every Mac there are a lot more Salford’s out there.

Campaign all we want.  Our payments are non-mandatory charitable hand me downs from the Premier league so be grateful.

12 minutes ago, shaymanjecs said:

Macc are coming straight back down 

12 minutes ago, shaymanjecs said:

Macc are coming straight back down 

Why can't we be like them? The trouble with the football league is that as soon as you get there there's higher wages and more money on agents fees. That takes most of the Sky money.

Getting through a few rounds in the FA Cip and drawing a big team is huge and can be the be all and end all. If you ask most football league chairman about their finances they will say they are struggling. The situation will only get worse.

We are lucky to have our board because they run a tight ship. If or when they walk away we will struggle.

Archived