Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richmond96

We're a team in transition

Feels like significant progress has been made since BH moved on. I think the Board have confidence in JF and are financing a big rebuild. Probably need a bit of muscle added to the team but I like the way we're going. I normally think we can start to  see how the league is going to pan out after 10 games but I think it could take a few more this year. 

8 minutes ago, Richmond96 said:

Feels like significant progress has been made since BH moved on. I think the Board have confidence in JF and are financing a big rebuild. Probably need a bit of muscle added to the team but I like the way we're going. I normally think we can start to  see how the league is going to pan out after 10 games but I think it could take a few more this year. 

I agree. I feel cautiously optimistic about this season. I really do hope we can get a cup run going and play one of the big club's away. I feel our club deserves it for the way the club is run on and off the pitch. We haven't gambled the club's future on silly signings and wages and we have developed some fantastic talent along the way too. A nice little earner of around £500 000 or maybe even £1m would be fantastic and would reward the directors for their brave decision to go full time and as a result would benefit JF in his team building, and then obviously the fans too.

I know it's early in the season but I feel we should finish in the top half which would be a successful season. 

24 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I agree. I feel cautiously optimistic about this season. I really do hope we can get a cup run going and play one of the big club's away. I feel our club deserves it for the way the club is run on and off the pitch. We haven't gambled the club's future on silly signings and wages and we have developed some fantastic talent along the way too. A nice little earner of around £500 000 or maybe even £1m would be fantastic and would reward the directors for their brave decision to go full time and as a result would benefit JF in his team building, and then obviously the fans too.

I know it's early in the season but I feel we should finish in the top half which would be a successful season. 

.....I hope not......

Main thing at the moment is (even though we have lost today) that even though we are in transition and its not been free flowing all the time, we are picking points up and we have foundations to build on.

Today for example, even though we lost, it never felt like we were "up against it" or hanging on - something that did happen a lot last season. We are more than matching our opponents in each game and giving them just as many, if not more, problems than they give us.

Good to see the squad get two extra players in though. I feel numbers wise we are now getting there, but do have concerns on a few that have struggled so far. I am puzzled as to why McLeod has failed to get basically any game time since the season started, unless he is injured, as pre-season he was arguably our best performer. At the same time, Odelusi, who for me has been poor, has hardly featured too. When having such a small squad I don't feel we are in a position to have players here that the manager doesn't feel can play and considering the lack of subs we often make I wonder if there is doubts on the overall squad quality that is stopping JF from making changes during games.

What I do feel is important is that we don't get carried away should we end up having a slump in results, or even if in another half dozen games or so we are pushing for top spot. This season is a big one for us and its a huge change. All we can do is keep looking at each game as it comes and seeing how we do with that. My fear is if we revert back to a PT model next season or the season after as I feel this project, with or without JF, is one that will take a few years to see us really get the benefit from or to see if it is worth it for us.

Can understand the selections. Especially out wide. Tomlinson is responsible for half our goals this season and kossy is always dangerous. Mcleod and Odelusi are going to have to be patient. 

10 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Isn't every team always a team in transition ?

It is a bit of a kop out for anyone that's under-performing.

Having said that I do think we are actually in transition. We have a new manager with new ideas, have practically an entirely new squad, have moved from part-time to full-time, have changed formation, moved from a defensive set up to an attacking set up and are less reliant on hoofball and are playing some football.

Personally think that the two latest signings are the final pieces in the jigsaw. We now (on paper) look to have a good team that's settled quickly and has competition for places throughout the squad. Whilst I wouldn't object to us strengthening the squad by buying another Vardy, Gregory, Roberts, etc.. I'm happy with the squad assembled and can't think of an area that does need improving/cover. However, it's still very early in the season so I'm judging on paper rather than minutes played but so far, so good 

As Jurgen Klopp said yesterday of his team.

"You cannot given them no summer break, a very short pre-season and then say be at your best. These games are the best sessions we have to get fit. "

We have just introduced two full time players who are experienced but short of games  to our team.

Things should only get better as everyone beds in and  understands their roles and JF's plans.

Think our team in transition sounds like it could do with someone who can convert goal scoring chances on a regular basis.

9 minutes ago, PRS said:

Think our team in transition sounds like it could do with someone who can convert goal scoring chances on a regular basis.

I do have a concern about the amount of goals In the strikeforce. We are a high scoring team however when you go deeper into it. Southwell (who i rate by the way) and Edwards have scored 4 goals between them 3 of which have arrived from setpieces. Not to say if the ball was in the right area Southwell inparticular wouldn't convert them. Do we need them to improve to stay in contention. Yes 

6 minutes ago, Juryeff said:

What chance JF returning to Meadow Lane??

Don't think he's done enough with us yet for anyone to be looking at taking him. 

17 minutes ago, Juryeff said:

What chance JF returning to Meadow Lane??

I’ll field this one.... zero .. nada ... nil

Fans were poisonous from day 1... toxic.....there is more chance of Maurice and Robin Gibb returning from the grave to do a farewell Bee Gees tour than JF returning to that place ;)

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

I do have a concern about the amount of goals In the strikeforce. We are a high scoring team however when you go deeper into it. Southwell (who i rate by the way) and Edwards have scored 4 goals between them 3 of which have arrived from setpieces. Not to say if the ball was in the right area Southwell inparticular wouldn't convert them. Do we need them to improve to stay in contention. Yes 

We are light up front and need another one imo. Southwell and Edwards have done ok so far but theres no competition on the bench. I suppose our goals for coloum masks the problem just now but surely the plan isnt to play the full season with just 2?

58 minutes ago, Scot said:

Fans were poisonous from day 1... toxic.....there is more chance of Maurice and Robin Gibb returning from the grave to do a farewell Bee Gees tour than JF returning to that place ;)

I know. Was being mischievous. 

4 minutes ago, Juryeff said:

I know. Was being mischievous. 

16/1 at the bookies ...may as well be 1,000,000/1 :doh::D

1 hour ago, Scot said:

1 hour ago, Scot said:

The Bee Gees, dead ! That's the worst news i've heard since 16-55 yesterday

39 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The Bee Gees, dead ! That's the worst news i've heard since 16-55 yesterday

So much for Stayin alive then....

History is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good time pass away, but then so do the bad.