Wrexham game thread

royals1922

Tomlinson did very well when he came on. Really got stuck in, drove forward and nearly scored with a great header. He offers so much more than McDonald who looks to be very short on confidence....looking for a pass back or taking on his man with the aim of falling and winning a free kick. We created much more and looked more incisive for the short time Tomlinson was on.

Missed Hotte in midfield again, Lynch and Oliver were no match for the Wrexham middle two and were generally our weakest link. I personally think Kosylo and Tomlinson would have done a far better job in centre midfield together. They are by far more creative, aggressive and well-rounded than Oliver and Lynch. Charles could take Kosylo's place on the wing. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really can't believe people knocking this squad and Heath with the achievements to date. With our budget, who on earth would come in and do any better? Every player gives his all, we are organised and

Decent performance. My opinion of Kevin Roberts changed tonight, getting at kosylo trying to get him sent off. Never a penalty at the end. Can't believe the sponsors chose Sam Johnson as man of match,

Connor Oliver is there to play football, get it on the deck and keep possession. There was an occasion when he had the ball last night and 3 of our players just ran away from him. Oliver had no option

Posted Images

We should have won that , we played some decent stuff , 10 minute spell near the end with Kosylo , harder to miss than score but he has been outstanding this season so we will give him that one .

Wrexham had plenty of possession but did very little , we created more chances when we had the ball , if Wrexham are promotion candidates then so are we .

They've obviously got a strong defence but shouldn't need to cheat to prove it . Kosylo needs to reign in his handbag and do his talking with the ball . So frustrating that we don't run at players that are on a booking and Robbo could have murdered somebody tonight and the ref would have turned a blind eye

Was Kosylo suggesting he was spat on after he was brought down at the edge of their penalty area? He was going mental at the ref and ket wiping his face and rubbing it with his shirt?

He was lucky the ref didn't see the studs down the back of the achilles on Roberts although if anyone deserved that it was him.

It was a shame as Kosylo seemed distracted by all the niggle. They doubled up on him a lot which didn't help.

I thought Town looked the better team by the end. They'll be more disappointed with the draw.

My first season at Town. Daughter (aged 8) chose them as her team. Only missed a couple of home games when we were away on holiday. Have to say I'm enjoying it. Tranmere our first away trip coming up. 

21 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Mate stop with all your stats in reply to answers. Were you there tonight? He wanted kosylo sent off tonight and clattered macca without getting booked for it. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. Wrexham play ugly football, probably the ugliest in the league.When they get behind or aren't winning they are even worse.

I said that from when I looked at the team and all week. And why wouldn't they try to get Kosylo sent off,  it worked at Gateshead and I'm sure other teams will try it.

If Kosylo really wants to be a league player, then he's going to have to learn to cop the shite on the field he gets and not get himself sent off, as Denton does.

As for McManus, the picture says it all. 

But it is not and should not have been a surprise to anyone.

The only surprise for me is that a player was not sent off during the game.

Top effort and what balls this team have. Massive credit to the manager for getting a squad of players who will give blood for him. Like I said earlier team spirit and desire etc in adversity can bring unexpected results. That team tonight deserved all 3 points but can be very proud of the one they did get 

19 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

It might sound like I'm stating the obvious but its looking like a southern team for the title. Maybe Hartlepool from the north. If we stay in the hunt till January and bring a couple in you never know but in an ideal world we would have them on board this week.

Get a decent result at Boreham and I might start thinking we are a chance.

I looked at the season when we made the playoffs a few years back and we are now, actually 1 point ahead of where we were then. We're scoring less ( we had Gregory then) but our defence is significantly better than at the same time in that season.

If it continues, who knows...............

Missing creativity big style. Id be tempted to move kossy inside. If oliver is supposed to be the creativity then we clearly have a problem in that area. Stick kossy inside he can be harder to track put charles out wide. And put hotte and lynch behind kossy so he has some protection to try things. 

Good point. They scouted our strengths but we still had chances to win it. 

Ill take that. 

Just now, royals1922 said:

Get a decent result at Boreham and I might start thinking we are a chance.

I looked at the season when we made the playoffs a few years back and we are now, actually 1 point ahead of where we were then. We're scoring less ( we had Gregory then) but our defence is significantly better than at the same time in that season.

If it continues, who knows...............

We had a good run in the second half of the season (played well before as well) a bit like last year.

I definitely think a play off spot is there to be won. I just hope he strengthens because Maccas injury looks nasty. Out of all the centre halves, Browny looks the fittest. Who would have thought that at the start of the season?

Superb displays from Brown & Hotte tonight, looked immense in the centre of defence. Didn't quite click at the other end though, although I did love the little nasty battle between Kosy and Roberts. Not sure what started it but it escalated from verbals and both could easily have been sent off on another day - the fact the ref allowed them both to do almost anything unpunished just added to the fun. Only Heath spoilt it by sending Kosy to the right instead.

Wasn't much quality on show from either side, but after a slow first 45 the second half was end to end. 

Just hope Macca is fit for Saturday after ending up collateral damage.

41 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Mate stop with all your stats in reply to answers. Were you there tonight? He wanted kosylo sent off tonight and clattered macca without getting booked for it. 

Also just to point out, this is what I wrote in my report on Wrexham:

"It may be a very testy affair as Town is prone to reds and yellows and Wrexham more so. Wrexham have got 29 yellows and their opposition 20 yellows and 3 times Wrexham have had men sent off. Moreover of their yellows and reds, 15 yellows and 1 red has gone to defenders, 12 yellows and 2 reds have gone to midfielders and only 2 yellows have gone to strikers. Further in 9 of the 11 games where the numbers were accessible, Wrexham committed 10 or more fouls whereas their opposition recorded 10 or more fouls 5 times. You have been warned"

So let's see  - 3 of their defenders got yellows and also one of their midfielders  a bloke identified as a yellow risk and we got 2 yellows.

I also said this later in the thread:

"Looking at this game, it just seems to me that it will get almost medieval. Every stat about Wrexham and Town suggests it will almost be like 11 Norman Hunters versus 11 Chopper Harrises.

I hope they appoint a decent referee to handle this game instead of some of the garbage that refereed games at the Shay this season".

It's a horrible style they play and it will rebound on them - I suspect because they were playing a northern team, they got more latitude,

What a thoroughly enjoyable match tonight. Great atmosphere. End to end football , guts and determination.

We had some great chances , but then so did Wrexham. Fair result in the end.

In games gone past we would have lost a game like that. We grew into the match and finished on the up.

A point was a fair result in my opinion. Neither team were good in front of goal so i don't think anyone can grumble at the scoreline. Thought the back 4 was very solid, especially Brown. Man of the match by a mile for me. No idea how Johnson got it. He only had to make one routine save.

Thought the ref was appaling at times, for both teams i may add if any Wrexham fans are reading this. Jennings got a booking for literally nothing yet Hotte got away with nothing on when he cropped there lad. How Roberts didn't get anything for cropping Macca though i will never know. Thought he got lots of small decisions wrong for both teams too

I think we got closer there. Wrexham were only reduced to two or three chances in that second half, including the one that was mysteriously blasted over. They're quite a tight and pressing team, good and professional but not quite firing tonight.

We didn't quite have the bottle either of course, but there were some great chances to be had. Denton's offside goal was just that, Kosylo forged two very good passes through just before being switched to the right wing, finally working out how to deal with Roberts et al, ever so close to getting that shot in. He had another good chance that he blasted into row Z from just inside the box towards the end, followed by that one-on-one that wasn't quite. Then Morgan had his, and other than that wasn't quite firing and following through bar an excellent shot in the first half that the keeper did well to stop. Then there was Tomlinson's header that got tipped over after McManus played to an advantage. On another night, it could've come so we can all be happy with that 0–0.

Got to owe it to the defence, too. Matty Brown was impeccable, but as Mr Sharman can attest, Some Like It Hotte. Our #8 gets my MotM, but the two did brilliantly while also moving up the field a fair few times. I kept forgetting Nathan was in defence!

Roberts was trying to wind Kossy up but tbf that was always likely to happen. It doesn't take a lot and he needs to rise above it, still at each other after the whistle and he was very quick out of the ground tonight.

Thought a draw was a fair result as neither team had enough up top to make the difference.

The more this season goes on the more i think were about 2 players short of a promotion push. The problem is i dont think were even trying to sign them.

Overall a good nights work by the team and manager and lets not forget Wrexham are a big club at this level.

Think its time for Tomlinson to be given a start as Josh MacDonald continues to be the nearly man he has been for the last 2 years. For his undoubted talent his moments are far too rare to be an automatic choice.

Tomlinson is a striker. I'm not sure if i need to say more about why we shouldn't be playing him out wide. However MacDonald is the player with his position most under threat. 

Problem is with him. He's too easy to read. And because of that he's very easy to shut down. 

Our MOM tonight Brown by  country mile, followed by our best set piece defender Tom Denton he headed out every corner and set piece Wrexham had. Please let someone else other than Oliver take the corners and free kicks, his lobs into the box are food and drink to good keepers.

Archived