Wrexham game thread

royals1922

Against a decent Wrexham side last night Billy chose to employ four strikers to try and win the game. Much to admire about the man. And when he decides we are not for him, he won’t be short of suitors. And then you can have your Harvey or Knill. But it will be our loss.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really can't believe people knocking this squad and Heath with the achievements to date. With our budget, who on earth would come in and do any better? Every player gives his all, we are organised and

Decent performance. My opinion of Kevin Roberts changed tonight, getting at kosylo trying to get him sent off. Never a penalty at the end. Can't believe the sponsors chose Sam Johnson as man of match,

Connor Oliver is there to play football, get it on the deck and keep possession. There was an occasion when he had the ball last night and 3 of our players just ran away from him. Oliver had no option

Posted Images

3 hours ago, born to moan said:

Nicholson, Moyo, King, Clarke, Lynch, Oliver.

Nicholson seems to be a good person to have around the squad. He is also back up to (in my opinion one of the best keepers in Non League) Johnson, so no need to have a "superstar" as our number 2 keeper.

Moyo - I personally wouldn't have kept him for another season, however, as a squad option and someone who can cover a fair few positions, assuming he won't be commanding a massive wage, then he isn't a bad body to have around the club. He is someone I would be looking to move on IF we had a better option to cover him, but as extra cover he serves a purpose. We can't have a squad of 16/17/18 that expect to play week in week out and Moyo fits the bill here.

King - Yep, can't commit to us, so best for him to be gone. 

Clarke - Hate to be critical, but he isn't up to the standard for me.

Lynch - Shows glimpses of what he can do, he is a bit like Moyo in terms of good for squad depth. Someone again who I would move on if I had a better replacement.

Oliver - Oh my, he has failed to impress me at times, however I do think there is a footballer in there. He has a very lazy/sloppy style of play which probably doesn't help his cause as when he gives the ball away it gets peoples backs up. Not sure he should be taking set pieces as whilst he can occasionally put a ball in a pin point position, 90% of his corners either hit first man or fly out for a throw and his free kicks often end up clearing the stands. I wouldn't be getting rid of him or saying he isn't up to it however and do feel he has the potential to do something good here.

In an ideal world I'd move King and Clarke tomorrow. If we had a replacement lined up then Moyo too. 

23 hours ago, Flea said:

I do feel that we may well be heading for a bit of a dead rubber season as far as the league goes. We look to be avoiding being dragged into a relegation scrap, which is good (The bottom 5 now 4 points further adrift with a couple of the "money" sides who could buy their way out of trouble in January just above them), but I feel we are probably a couple of players short of being able to mount a serious title/playoff push). 

That said, there doesn't seem to be any stand out teams in this league

.....where have I read this before?;)

23 hours ago, Mr Vincent said:

Was funny hearing them cheer like they had win the Konica league when the tannoy announced that for the first time in history they managed to bring over 500 to the Shay.

Thats the worst Wrexham team I've seen at this level. 

Million miles away from promotion based on that. They were no better than us

Before the match you wrote this:

"Really really tough game tomorrow against what I would say is Wrexhams best squad since they have been at this level."

.....after the match.....look above in bold:)

1 hour ago, TheNorwegianViking said:

"Really really tough game tomorrow against what I would say is Wrexhams best squad since they have been at this level."

On paper the players they have signed should make them one of the favourites for the league, perhaps they were having an off night.

1 hour ago, townmad said:

On paper the players they have signed should make them one of the favourites for the league, perhaps they were having an off night.

Actually Wrexham have been virtually coasting off the back of a tight back 4 for a few games now.

Just because a side signs league players and is full time doesn't make them any better but purely increases expectations.

3 hours ago, TheNorwegianViking said:

Absolutely. On paper was/is Wrexhams best squad indeed Wrexhams fans seem to believe the same - hence my comment about it being a really tough game. 

I think two factors are that they are no where near as good as they think (ive certainly seen better Wrexham performances the Shay), the other factor is that we played well and matched them in every single department. 

Trust this clarifies and I thank-you for your continued interest in me. 

Regards 

23 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

It was an education listening to Radio Wales last night & the uneducated rabblings of Mickey Thomas.:blink:

I hope that he hadn't forgot that he's got a fortnight to hand in all his pound coins before they go out of circulation.

25 minutes ago, Mr Vincent said:

Absolutely. On paper was/is Wrexhams best squad indeed Wrexhams fans seem to believe the same - hence my comment about it being a really tough game. 

I think two factors are that they are no where near as good as they think (ive certainly seen better Wrexham performances the Shay), the other factor is that we played well and matched them in every single department. 

Trust this clarifies and I thank-you for your continued interest in me. 

Regards 

:).....a lot of your inputs are interesting;)

36 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I hope that he hadn't forgot that he's got a fortnight to hand in all his pound coins before they go out of circulation.

In reality, you can actually deposit the old pound coins into your account at a bank or post office well after the 15th October, albeit the mint haven't actually given an absolute final cutoff date.

3 minutes ago, Don1864 said:

In reality, you can actually deposit the old pound coins into your account at a bank or post office well after the 15th October, albeit the mint haven't actually given an absolute final cutoff date.

Lot of hassle for a pound.

Probably easier to get rid of them by sticking them in parking machines or the likes, as knowing how slow our council were in converting them over to accept the new coin we probably have a good 6 months or so left on them. 

1 minute ago, Flea said:

Lot of hassle for a pound.

Probably easier to get rid of them by sticking them in parking machines or the likes, as knowing how slow our council were in converting them over to accept the new coin we probably have a good 6 months or so left on them. 

I'm sure the council won't be as slow to react when the boots on the other foot and the coins aren't legal tender any more.

As a Wrexham fan myself (living in Halifax), I thought it was a very even game overall, over the course of the entire match.  We've been struggling all season to score, which was plain to see on tuesday night - it's all very well having the possession and creating the chances, but if you don't have a forward player of the necessary quality to put them away then you're going to struggle to win games.

We've been fortunate that our defence has clicked and been relatively impenetrable so far this season, even despite our keeper injuries and having to draught in a number of temporary replacements - otherwise we'd be in trouble.  Whilst we're not scoring goals, our goal difference doesn't seem to be suffering too badly so far, being only the 4th highest in the top 7.

We're desperate for a striker though.  Keates has been holding off spending the available budget for too long, and it's cost us dearly with so many draws that could so easily have been converted to some wins if we had that bit more quality.  We're now in a period where a month to month loan (maximum 93 days) takes us into January, so perhaps he's got some loan targets up his sleeve.  The money is there, but he hasn't yet spent it - he needs to pull his finger out whilst the league table is so tight.

Anyway - I enjoyed being able to revisit the Shay once again to see my team, and be one of the 500+ fans to be there on the night, to contribute to Town's best league attendance of the season (so far) - I wish you the best for the rest of the season (except when you play us of course).

Archived