Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richmond96

How can we improve on this fantastic start?

2nd, playing attractive football, with a tremendous "all for one and one for all mentality"

Time for some transfer activity. The squad is so thin another couple of injuries and or suspensions and we'll pay the price.

The reality is Hibbs and King aren't been utilised at all. They're footballers who want to play so time to shift them out and get replacements in who can contribute.

I don't know who is responsible for recruitment. I have the impression Bobby Ham was heavily involved in getting Kossy and Morgan on board. I suspect that Heath got Riley and Duckworth, both of whom look really good to me. Anyway, who cares? It's a team effort. Time to get on the phone lads.

I haven't been this excited about Town for years. Feels like the early 70's. Onwards and upwards.

Well there is no pressure that's for sure. It's just amazing given the injuries so far and limitations in terms of having no right back on the pitch. Just got to enjoy it. Keep the momentum going. The front men have all found form. We need one if not two big central midfield signings. If we had a Maynard and Pearson in this side it would make such a difference. No disrespect to anybody, the manager or players but this team will do well to finish top 7 - well done Billy Heath. Brilliant but I hope when the tonking comes, which it will then the people talking things up to silly levels have the common sense to give the manager some slack when he needs it.

Id also like to hear from Cestrian who told us that "it's going to be a long season for us" after they could not beat us at home - I think he must have meant in League 2 next season 

Well one way we can simply improve, without making any signings or letting players go is if Oliver and McDonald score a goal or two. A grubby little tap in, whatever. It would stretch the opponents teams even further.

Halifax win was unbelieveable even if Orient was there for the taking. We played them just at the right time.We desperately need a Maynard in MF and another CF. I would like to see Charles get a bit of game time playing the attacking MF. (I know he is a winger). I would like to think we are looking at 22/23 year olds  not making it in L2/1 but fear a 30 year old going downhill will be brought in.

We are playing effectively 4-2-4 at the moment, mainly I think as Heath has recognised that we have wingers on their day who can worry teams, combine that with the little and large combination up front and we suddenly look like we can score goals. As an out and out defensive line + keeper then id back them all day to defend the box well - and they will need to as the way the team is set up and the limitations in the middle of the pitch we are 'easy to get at' - its going to take a Pearson/Maynard sort of signing to stop that. The method of play at the moment seems to be very simple, old fashioned. You have a go at beating our back 4 and keeper, then we will have a go. This is the kind of play that will make fans want to come to the Shay and I hope Heath sticks with it. Credit to him for seeing what is available to him and selecting a team accordingly, After the dour start its been very brave of him to set up like he has. But as was pointed out during last years bad run, Heath is showing a mentality and ability to meet poor performances and criticism head on, he does not hide. Hopefully he can now shake off the tag that he is a negative route one manager and also I think he is learning to trust the ability he has in the team, he has taken the straps off and 'let the horses run free' as Jose says. 

It is almost like Billy Heath has gone from an Alan Ball snr type manager and reincarnated as George Kirby. Long may it continue.

15 minutes ago, Mr Vincent said:

We are playing effectively 4-2-4 at the moment, mainly I think as Heath has recognised that we have wingers on their day who can worry teams, combine that with the little and large combination up front and we suddenly look like we can score goals. As an out and out defensive line + keeper then id back them all day to defend the box well - and they will need to as the way the team is set up and the limitations in the middle of the pitch we are 'easy to get at' - its going to take a Pearson/Maynard sort of signing to stop that. The method of play at the moment seems to be very simple, old fashioned. You have a go at beating our back 4 and keeper, then we will have a go. This is the kind of play that will make fans want to come to the Shay and I hope Heath sticks with it. Credit to him for seeing what is available to him and selecting a team accordingly, After the dour start its been very brave of him to set up like he has. But as was pointed out during last years bad run, Heath is showing a mentality and ability to meet poor performances and criticism head on, he does not hide. Hopefully he can now shake off the tag that he is a negative route one manager and also I think he is learning to trust the ability he has in the team, he has taken the straps off and 'let the horses run free' as Jose says. 

I've long believed that some line ups get better results than others so I keep a running summary of the various lineups we've used, including any subs on and off,  and goals scored and conceded during that time to see if there are any patterns.

The Johnson, Garner, Wilde, Brown, Hotte combination have played together for a touch over 600 minutes and conceded 4 goals, scored one goal (Brown) and our other players during that time  have scored 7 goals.

If Hotte does not play we have scored 4 but conceded 3 in 225 minutes.

I think its all down to the length of stoods in the boots. 

Browns stoods are 220mm, Garner 215mm, whilst Wildes and Mcmanus are only 198mm - giving a mean stood length of 211 and its common knowledge that National League title winners have a defence with a stood length between 210mm and 212mm. 

Second and may I add -

A last min winner for Dover that cost us a point, plus Denton's goal being disallowed v Gateshead (and hitting the bar and post whilst Kosylo also was hauled down in the box with nothing given)

Luck is a big part of results too and had we had a bit more, we would be top....

1 hour ago, Mr Vincent said:

That is exactly it - some days it will work, on others it won't - either way it will be entertaining. Last night could easily have finished with 10 or 11 goals between the two teams, especially if Orient could finish open goals.

We certainly couldn't be accused of "just being a hoof it/long ball/route one" team last night - playing the odd high ball up to Denton is the natural ploy but combined with spraying it out wide to the likes of Kosylo, it certainly isn't our only option. Our defence seems to operate a "come near us and we'll either kick the ball or we'll kick you policy", which I rather like.

Awesome 3 points last night but glad it's not just me thinking we need a Pearson/Maynard type midfielder. Been saying it for the last 2 seasons. If we brought in a midfielder on the lines of one of those two and maybe a midfielder similar to Gardner/Sinnott, I think the team could really excel.

Wouldn't turn down a pacey striker off the bench either but I think Tommo is doing a decent job. He's a good pedigree though so it makes you think how long will he stay happy as a sub

Great 3 points and 2nd in the league. As Billy Heath puts it himself in the Courier........"not bad for a long ball team" You've got to love his sense of humour !! 

9 hours ago, Mr Vincent said:

Browns stoods are 220mm, Garner 215mm, whilst Wildes and Mcmanus are only 198mm - giving a mean stood length of 211 and its common knowledge that National League title winners have a defence with a stood length between 210mm and 212mm. 

I love the thought of all the players stood! Round comparing stud! Length, look macca mine are 215mm (8") brilliant!

33 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

I love the thought of all the players stood! Round comparing stud! Length, look macca mine are 215mm (8") brilliant!

Special length for Kosy ??

10 hours ago, Mr Vincent said:

Think Montrose from Fylde could do the CM job?

Perhaps my pre season prediction , early thread does nit seem as daft now as some thought 

yes there is still a lot that could go wrong but we have shown we can do it 

1. Denton Morgan Tomlinson and kosylo all to score more than 10 goals each 

we really have great attacking options 

2. We will have one of the meanest defences in terms of goals conceded, one of the best five 

3. Top five position and promotion through the play offs 

4. Make the 4th round of the FA cup 

5 and now I am stretching it....win the west riding cup :) 

looking forward to a great season

shaymen til we die 

keep the faith 

nick 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Perhaps my pre season prediction , early thread does nit seem as daft now as some thought 

yes there is still a lot that could go wrong but we have shown we can do it 

1. Denton Morgan Tomlinson and kosylo all to score more than 10 goals each 

we really have great attacking options 

2. We will have one of the meanest defences in terms of goals conceded, one of the best five 

3. Top five position and promotion through the play offs 

4. Make the 4th round of the FA cup 

5 and now I am stretching it....win the west riding cup :) 

looking forward to a great season

shaymen til we die 

keep the faith 

nick 

Can't be doing with all that play-off malarky-let's just win the league by January and then rest players in preparation for the big one - The WRCC 

We can lament the lack of a Pearson/Maynard and it is a legitimate thing to talk about, but we also must consider how rare that talent is.

At the time we rated Maynard as the more accomplished player, a professional who was yet to play professionally. An adept and well-built player who had somehow been fished out of amateur football. Then Pearson was the terrifying tankbeast who put an unbelievable amount into every game... yet apparently had little technical proficiency and would reduce our game to aimless balls...

So who'd've thunk that by 2017, Pearson would be playing FOUR leagues above Maynard? The latter's selling himself short, but not that short. Still, having a young midfielder who's gone up a league per year on average since joining us... that isn't a coup you'll make every season. Pearson's probably a one-off, though I wish he wasn't. I think we will sign a CM reinforcement at some point this season and hope he's both a beast and a high quality leader, but there can't be much low hanging fruit around currently. We'll see.

19 hours ago, Mr Vincent said:

Is this a roundabout way of saying you like a stud with a decent length? :lol:

When we had Pearson, people on here were slating him saying he works hard but we need more quality on the ball. To be honest Hotte is a bit of an unsung hero so far. Gets on with the job, breaking down attacks and doing the simple stuff that sometimes gets unnoticed.

5 hours ago, Ash said:

When we had Pearson, people on here were slating him saying he works hard but we need more quality on the ball. To be honest Hotte is a bit of an unsung hero so far. Gets on with the job, breaking down attacks and doing the simple stuff that sometimes gets unnoticed.

When Hotte is in the lineup, we do better than when he is not.

12 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

We can lament the lack of a Pearson/Maynard and it is a legitimate thing to talk about, but we also must consider how rare that talent is.

At the time we rated Maynard as the more accomplished player, a professional who was yet to play professionally. An adept and well-built player who had somehow been fished out of amateur football. Then Pearson was the terrifying tankbeast who put an unbelievable amount into every game... yet apparently had little technical proficiency and would reduce our game to aimless balls...

So who'd've thunk that by 2017, Pearson would be playing FOUR leagues above Maynard? The latter's selling himself short, but not that short. Still, having a young midfielder who's gone up a league per year on average since joining us... that isn't a coup you'll make every season. Pearson's probably a one-off, though I wish he wasn't. I think we will sign a CM reinforcement at some point this season and hope he's both a beast and a high quality leader, but there can't be much low hanging fruit around currently. We'll see.

Lets not forget that Pearson was used as a defender at Accrington and thats why he's found himself in the Championship, not because he's a midfield magician. Did a good job for us in that role but defending is his real strength. That said he was used as a left back which is pretty surprising as for me he's a CB or RB who can cover if needed.

Maynard put money above ambition and will probably never play league football as a result despite him having more than enough talent to do so.

No sure you can really afford to have a creative midfielder (sinnott)in a 4-42 as your gonna get totally over run when you out of possession, got to have 2 workers in there for me.