Dover match thread

PeterPan

11 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

MrB rushes to the postbox every morning hoping for that letter from JCT  but in never comes . Interesting that a number of corporate regulars have far greater wealth than MrB, but who in their right mind would pump 1 million £ per year into FCHT . Would you ???

If I had the money available then I would, as would a few on here I'd bet. But we're lifelong Town fans and that's why we'd do it. Also, it's different saying 'hypothetically I'd do this' but in reality you'd need a few million in reserve, and you'd want a source of income outside of the football club that could keep you there.

If I won £15m or whatever on the lottery and bought the club that would be great for a few years, but there would be the very realistic possibility that the money would run out very quickly, even with on field success, and therein lies the problem. Football clubs are bottomless pits when it comes to money, and big investment doesn't always mean on field success, and on field success doesn't always return financial stability. I can completely understand why Mr B is cautious with what money he is putting into the club.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The "Heath out" brigade loved it last night. The team was playing well and conceded late on. Within seconds of that goal "Heath out, Heath out" The team could have given up like the outers did. They a

Your f***kng broadband hopefully! 

You really are priceless.

Posted Images

The problem with football  is there is too much money at the top ( Premier League) and not enough at the bottom (our level) and until that is addressed professional teams outside the football league will always struggle. It would not take much to cream off some of the riches enjoyed by the Premier League to allow clubs in the National, National North & South to operate in a sustainable way.  

1 hour ago, shaycrazy said:

The problem with football  is there is too much money at the top ( Premier League) and not enough at the bottom (our level) and until that is addressed professional teams outside the football league will always struggle. It would not take much to cream off some of the riches enjoyed by the Premier League to allow clubs in the National, National North & South to operate in a sustainable way.  

We keep getting told about the trickle down theory!

Think the tap may have been turned off.

Genuinely amazed at the short memories some people have.

The amount of posts suggesting our board should deliberately spend more money than we have coming in is staggering. Whatever faults the board have, they run this club like a business - with sensible budgets that generally leave a small profit each year. Yet some people feel that's wrong, that we should have a couple of hundred thousand a season loss that the directors cover between them.

If you're in that camp, can you answer what then happens when these directors do decide to leave? Even if they write off all the money they've put in the wage bill and budget will still be running at a loss. Who will cover that then?
Maybe I'm forgetting all the wealthy owners and directors who've been queuing up in the past to voluntarily pour their own money into our club.

11 minutes ago, Bobbins said:

The amount of posts suggesting our board should deliberately spend more money than we have coming in is staggering. Whatever faults the board have, they run this club like a business - with sensible budgets that generally leave a small profit each year. Yet some people feel that's wrong, that we should have a couple of hundred thousand a season loss that the directors cover between them.

If you're in that camp, can you answer what then happens when these directors do decide to leave? Even if they write off all the money they've put in the wage bill and budget will still be running at a loss. Who will cover that then?
Maybe I'm forgetting all the wealthy owners and directors who've been queuing up in the past to voluntarily pour their own money into our club.

steady on with this common sense mullarkey

4 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

MrB rushes to the postbox every morning hoping for that letter from JCT  but in never comes . Interesting that a number of corporate regulars have far greater wealth than MrB, but who in their right mind would pump 1 million £ per year into FCHT . Would you ???

really,proof ??

A question for those suggesting Bosomworth et al put their hands in their pockets and give the club an artificial boost. If it were the done thing, how much money would you spent on Halifax Town, beyond the usual admission, refreshments, and merchandise? If you wouldn't put any in, why not? What makes the directors' money different, or if you won the lottery? What would you do in the likely event that squad investment makes no appreciable difference?

If I came into big money, I'd be most likely to build a training ground. A few acres minimum, a fence, parking spaces and an amenities building. Job jobbed. Bigger money still would justify purchasing the Shay and putting it into the hands of a trust, so our ground is as secure as it can be. 

Even with a steady flow of big money, investing it on SIGNING SOME MEN!!! is a lower priority.

23 minutes ago, Bobbins said:

Maybe those people who believe that the board should be spending more money than they have, should, if they don't have one already, go to a rolls royce franchise and consider which rolls royce they should purchase, at which time they will ask:

a)  can I afford this?

b ) even if I can , can I make do with the vehicle I do have?

c) what else can I get with the money I spend on this?

d) just because my neighbours may be buying a roller do I need to buy one?

e) do I have other people to consider in making such a purchase? 

f) will having this roller actually make a real impact? and

g) what will happen, in the event that something unfortunate happens and you need to save the money you are spending on payments elsewhere and cannot make the payments.

Then let's see whether they ever get past a test drive.

It is not much more different to running a football than life. For test drive, you have a triallist, for neighbours, you have the Yorks and the Salfords, for rollers you have marquee signing who you pay 1500 hundred a week for, for "other people", you have supporters, sponsors and even your town.

Bottom line some of these folk are dreamers................

The problem is, if someone puts say 200K extra into the club this season, what happens the following year?

Say I took over the club and had a nest egg of 10M. Our club budget for the season is hypothetically (Just picking a random figure here, so its not accurate) 500K.

I "donate/invest" 200K to bump it to 700K.

There are still a dozen + teams with a way higher budget in the league. We don't get relegated, but we dont get promoted.

The next season comes. Do I reduce the budget back down to 500K? If so people moan. Do I stick another 200K in to keep the 700K budget - knowing that isn't enough to get us up - or do I then invest say a further 200K to try and compete?

Fast forward 5 years. I've kept putting my own money in. We now have a budget of 1.5M - and running costs due to players on contracts eating up most of that. I've halved my actual nest egg of 10M doing this too, so I'm personally 5M out of pocket.

The fans aren't happy as we still haven't been promoted. I've made such a personal loss that if I sell up I will still be way out of pocket. The club isn't worth the 5M I've invested in the past few years, nevermind the money before it. 

If I sell the club the new owner still has the liability of the club and I will probably be branded irresponsible and hated for being careless.

Or, we sadly are in a situation where I own the club and I run it to the means that it has. Occasionally a gem may come along where the risk of pumping a bit of private money in to snatch a player (Like with Vardy) is worth the punt. What I do instead is try to grow the club and the interest in it in the local town and get local businesses' invested in it. I do this by trying to lure better contacts to the club but sadly, the same fans that are always moaning that things aren't good enough are bricking away coaches, giving me external bills for policing and tying up my time having to answer to the FA and Conference regarding fan behaviour, all whilst I've got my own private empire/family to look after. I keep my dignity in public, always show respect to others in the game and try to act in the best interest of the club, whilst never once losing my rag at the amount of abuse spat at me and my family by the fans that supposably support the club. 

Can you see the parallels here?

By no means do I think Bosomworth is perfect, but he is not given even 1% of the respect he deserves off some. There are things he can do better, but compared to some of the idiots in charge of clubs and some of the out and out crooks about, just be very careful on what you are demanding, as get an idiot in charge and it will be a lot harder to fix the damage long term. 

1 minute ago, Flea said:

By no means do I think Bosomworth is perfect, but he is not given even 1% of the respect he deserves off some. There are things he can do better, but compared to some of the idiots in charge of clubs and some of the out and out crooks about, just be very careful on what you are demanding, as get an idiot in charge and it will be a lot harder to fix the damage long term. 

Sums it up for me.

The only thing for me is that a lot of people wanted Mr B in because he is a wealthy man and expected him to invest heavily in the club. But in fact they have done nothing more than what the supporters, as a collective, could have done.

4 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Seriously, Chadders? Now you are resorting to willy waving on behalf of Mr B?

By the way, do you have proof on Mr B's wealth?

NO AND NO, i asked Mr Bollox for proof or how he knew as a matter of interest.

45 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Sums it up for me.

The only thing for me is that a lot of people wanted Mr B in because he is a wealthy man and expected him to invest heavily in the club. But in fact they have done nothing more than what the supporters, as a collective, could have done.

What they've done is run the club properly, paid bills on time, built trust with business partners and ensured the club lives within it's means.

This certainly shouldn't be a difficult thing and I'm not suggesting that a supporter owned club wouldn't have done the same, but the fact remains that this is the first board in the 30 odd years I've been supporting the club where this has been the case, so maybe it shouldn't be viewed so casually.

5 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Before the second coming of Jim Brown under Stockwell (before he inexplicably handed him the reigns) we paid the bills and had plenty in the bank.

We got promoted to the FL and sold Geoff Horsfield you mean. It was nothing to do with a well run ship, we nearly went bust 2/3 years prior.

50 minutes ago, Flea said:

The problem is, if someone puts say 200K extra into the club this season, what happens the following year?

Say I took over the club and had a nest egg of 10M. Our club budget for the season is hypothetically (Just picking a random figure here, so its not accurate) 500K.

I "donate/invest" 200K to bump it to 700K.

There are still a dozen + teams with a way higher budget in the league. We don't get relegated, but we dont get promoted.

The next season comes. Do I reduce the budget back down to 500K? If so people moan. Do I stick another 200K in to keep the 700K budget - knowing that isn't enough to get us up - or do I then invest say a further 200K to try and compete?

Fast forward 5 years. I've kept putting my own money in. We now have a budget of 1.5M - and running costs due to players on contracts eating up most of that. I've halved my actual nest egg of 10M doing this too, so I'm personally 5M out of pocket.

The fans aren't happy as we still haven't been promoted. I've made such a personal loss that if I sell up I will still be way out of pocket. The club isn't worth the 5M I've invested in the past few years, nevermind the money before it. 

If I sell the club the new owner still has the liability of the club and I will probably be branded irresponsible and hated for being careless.

Or, we sadly are in a situation where I own the club and I run it to the means that it has. Occasionally a gem may come along where the risk of pumping a bit of private money in to snatch a player (Like with Vardy) is worth the punt. What I do instead is try to grow the club and the interest in it in the local town and get local businesses' invested in it. I do this by trying to lure better contacts to the club but sadly, the same fans that are always moaning that things aren't good enough are bricking away coaches, giving me external bills for policing and tying up my time having to answer to the FA and Conference regarding fan behaviour, all whilst I've got my own private empire/family to look after. I keep my dignity in public, always show respect to others in the game and try to act in the best interest of the club, whilst never once losing my rag at the amount of abuse spat at me and my family by the fans that supposably support the club. 

Can you see the parallels here?

Certainly nowhere near the worst board we've ever had, but he might have had more respect from me if he:

1) Hadn't changed the club badge to  a crappy meaningless logo without consultation with the fans.

2) Done something to protect law abiding fans from thuggish stewards and a generally unpleasant match day experience. Yes the council decides on these things but has he made protestations to them? I very much doubt it, he has our money that will do.

3) Still no Town memorabilia up in the East Stand bar, been saying it for years, and yes it is getting boring.

He's done some things right, but he could do so much more without much effort.

So come on Mr B, gonna let us decide on a new badge, one that actually represents Halifax Town? Probably not because it'll cost too much to rebrand, which is why you should've consulted us in the first place. Our club, not your vanity project.

I expect his usual minions to jump to his defence.

55 minutes ago, greygoose said:

We got promoted to the FL and sold Geoff Horsfield you mean. It was nothing to do with a well run ship, we nearly went bust 2/3 years prior.

Same with Bosomworth, money from transfers then squandered on duff managers.

The supporters as a collective could have done better particularly with regard to the appointment and release of managers. Exeter City and its supporters seem to have done o.k.! Relying on one man (the Chairman) and his own judgement to make key decisions can also be risky!  It is his vanity project - A club living within its means is probably more important to him than playing at a higher level. Unfortunately with town's gates and to-days football finances that will come back to bite him and supporters without additional investment. Perhaps he his hoping  to discovery a gem that will yield transfer income but in reality we should now expect the inevitable downward spiral for the club. For those 'disciples' of the BOD, do not moan about playing Brighouse Town (with respect) at Christmas and Easter in future. Those 'disciples' and others fearing 'bad guys' taking over miss the point. Accrington and Morecambe with gates similar to Town's are able to survive because they as league members have that additional prize of TV money as being part of the football league. We need additional investment  to go higher to qualify for TV monies as a plan to speculate to accumulate as a sustainable plan for the future of the club. In any case I would not be frightened about others coming in to invest....the club with its fan base will always survive or resurrect itself as it did under this BOD, as nearly all of the professional clubs in the England and Scotland ( bar Rushden and Diamonds) have done for nearly 100 years. Stop dithering BOD, be more ambitious and go for it!

4 hours ago, Bobbins said:

Thats correct really - and as long as we dont hear the BOD telling us that we are equipped and are pushing for the football league which was the no substance nonsense that they were pushing about at the height of the Aspin era that really annoyed me then i accept they run a right ship all be in with no intention in building foundations for the future when they have gone. They will most probably leave the club as they found it which is with nothing. As a part time bottom end conference/top end conf North outfit then we will bob along just fine. We are a Nuneaton, Altricham or Southport equivalent in a fur jacket . If people are happy to trundle along at that then thats fine. 

"Speculate to accumulate" - the mantra of a gambler.

Tell you what, instead of paying your mortgage this month, put the money on the horses. If it pays off you can pay your mortgage for three months, not one! If you lose, well you can always have the house repossessed and then start again. Simple. I never cease to be amazed at just how many people are so enthusiastic about spending others money. I don`t expect Bosomworth to subsidise the club, his other business interests put money in via sponsorship and got the playing surface sorted out. I won`t pretend he`s perfect, but we are building trust with suppliers by paying our bills and realistically (given the outgoings to the council for the stadium,its upkeep and the fact we don`t make anything from the bars or food like most other teams) we are at `our level` given the crowds we "attract". As long as DB doesn`t draw a salary for the time he puts in, I really don`t have a problem.

We would all like to see a higher standard of football (actually, I would be thrilled to just see anything which might even resemble "football", but that is only a matter of time IMO), but gambling the future of the club in a "death or glory" bid for promotion is just insanity.

18 minutes ago, Angus said:

"Speculate to accumulate" - the mantra of a gambler.

Actually it is the mantra of any shrewd businessman. Bosomworth has already proven himself in that field but he is taking very little financial risk with his little baby FC Halifax Town. This could be because his heart lies elsewhere and he simply takes joy from the fact he can balance the books of a previously struggling Club. If the Bradford City boardroom became vacant tomorrow then we would be in trouble.

Archived