Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richmond96

How will BH set up against Barrow?

29 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I'll settle for that JMC. Then go and beat Chester on Saturday.

Speaking to a work colleague who is a Chester fan, reckons they will be in another relegation battle this year as he doesn't believe that Chester are that good. Saturday could be a big barometer of were we are in this league if he's right. Tonight's game is going to be tough and a draw would be a pretty good result, but only if we manage a win Saturday. Lose both and serious questions will need answering.

4 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Speaking to a work colleague who is a Chester fan, reckons they will be in another relegation battle this year as he doesn't believe that Chester are that good. Saturday could be a big barometer of were we are in this league if he's right. Tonight's game is going to be tough and a draw would be a pretty good result, but only if we manage a win Saturday. Lose both and serious questions will need answering.

I think a draw tonight and a win Saturday would be a great start to the season. Dover at home will be a toughish game and another good test just like Saturday against Aldershot.

I would settle for a draw tonight and a draw on Saturday. If we can beat Dover in the following game then we are on our way. I think it will take the first 5 or ten games for the players to gel and get used to each other and then up to 15 games to see where we are at, how we are getting on and what works with who in which position/system etc.

9 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think a draw tonight and a win Saturday would be a great start to the season. Dover at home will be a toughish game and another good test just like Saturday against Aldershot.

I would settle for a draw tonight and a draw on Saturday. If we can beat Dover in the following game then we are on our way. I think it will take the first 5 or ten games for the players to gel and get used to each other and then up to 15 games to see where we are at, how we are getting on and what works with who in which position/system etc.

Hopefully it won't take that long! Training sessions are vital at this time in the season.

Working on set pieces etc.

Just now, chrisbo61 said:

Hopefully it won't take that long! Training sessions are vital at this time in the season.

Working on set pieces etc.

The midweek matches will help as well. 4 Hours training a week is nothing compared to the full time teams. The sooner we go full time the better.

My concern would be that in theory we can employ the best part timers , whereas if full time could not employ the best full timers without a massive injection of cash! 

It's not easy!

Johnson

Garner        Brown         Riley

Duckworth    Oliver   Dixon   Macca

Kosy/           Morgan     Tomlinson

Charles

In a 3-4-3

1 hour ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Chester started from a long way back as after Christmas 2016, they won just 4 games and drew one before just scraping home. They signed a few but also lost a few and, in my view whether their gains outweighed their losses is debatable.

Still as Aldershot showed, making assumptions in a vacuum is a dangerous practice.

43 minutes ago, Shaymen101 said:

Johnson

Garner        Brown         Riley

Duckworth    Oliver   Dixon   Macca

Kosy/           Morgan     Tomlinson

Charles

In a 3-4-3

That's a very attacking line up. I'd be tempted to go Kosylo Tomlinson/Morgan and Charles. If we can't score with all those attacking players in the side then there's something wrong. I'd hope he plays that formation at some point this season. Especially at home.

52 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

My concern would be that in theory we can employ the best part timers , whereas if full time could not employ the best full timers without a massive injection of cash! 

It's not easy!

Much easier to get good quality loan signings if we're full time though, league clubs like to send their players to full time clubs rather than part time and having to sort out their training schedules, and the best part timers would probably prefer to be full time given the option.

54 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

It's not easy!

Catch 22 mate. The only hope is to try and convince some of the part timers to go full time, but if you have a decentish day job it's not worth your while.

Can there be some sort of forum rule set up that doesn't turn every single thread into a "part time vs full time" debate?. The usual response is "if you don't like it don't read it" but it's rather hard not to when it's bloomin' everywhere!

7 hours ago, TheNorwegianViking said:
8 hours ago, chadders said:

Johnson

Duckworth Brown Garner Wilde

Charles Oliver Lynch Kosylo

Tomlinson   Morgan.

Not bad.....but what is Johnson doing out there away from goal.....having a wee?

He's just doing what he did on saturday for the first goal again !!:doh::D

4 hours ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Couple of Chester fans I know say the same sort of thing. They are not impressed with their team at all. Minimum of 2 points from tonight and saturday needed but obviously hoping for more

2 hours ago, greg45 said:

Can there be some sort of forum rule set up that doesn't turn every single thread into a "part time vs full time" debate?. The usual response is "if you don't like it don't read it" but it's rather hard not to when it's bloomin' everywhere!

Its not you're over reacting.

1 minute ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Looks like a 5-4-1. Johnson, Duckworth, Brown, Riley, Garner, Wilde, Hotte, Dixon, Oliver, Charles, Denton. Morgan on the bench.

Set up not to lose.Not actually trying to win a game of football.Hope I am wrong..

9 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Looks like a 5-4-1. Johnson, Duckworth, Brown, Riley, Garner, Wilde, Hotte, Dixon, Oliver, Charles, Denton. Morgan on the bench.

I thought the same. I wonder if Oliver will start on the right of midfield? It's certainly a different line up and should hopefully be hard to break down.

3 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I thought the same. I wonder if Oliver will start on the right of midfield? It's certainly a different line up and should hopefully be hard to break down.

Doesn't look as if the onus will be on scoring, however. Still, we live in hope.

8 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

BBC Radio Cumbria suggesting a 5-3-1-1.

On 7 August 2017 at 14:12:23, Richmond96 said:

I couldn't believe the side and bench selected against Aldershot. I was depressed before the KO and my fears played out over the 90 mins. If you set up defensively, especially at home, and for the first game of the season when optimism is high, you rarely win and as was shown on the day often lose. Yes we had the odd chance, but Aldershot looked at ease, especially in the second half and their defence was rarely harried.

This means selection for the match at Barrow will be under scrutiny. I personally do not get the BH love in with the former North Ferriby players. Billy you're managing Halifax Town now.

Denton has his pros and cons. I'd use him more in away matches when his defensive contribution will often be very helpful.

Clark is a grafter who doesn't let anyone down, but bringing him on when we need a goal doesn't strike fear into the opposition defence.

I get the feeling BH has his favourites (all of whom seem to lack pace) and that's it. Well I think we'll struggle unless BH starts to adapt a more open mind.

I know its early days, he got us promotion so deserves a chance to prove himself in this league, but I think he's going to have to change his mind set to survive and win over the Shay faithful.

This is not a call for Heath out. You have to have somebody better lined up before going down that path and our 3 managers in our relegation season show how hard it is to pick a "good one".

Fingers crossed BH gets it right.

I well reasoned balanced post

9 hours ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Much easier to get good quality loan signings if we're full time though, league clubs like to send their players to full time clubs rather than part time and having to sort out their training schedules, and the best part timers would probably prefer to be full time given the option.

This is the part that worries me. We have 3 league clubs in our nearby vicinity, including the pups who've signed more players than Tiger Woods had girlfriends. Yet the loan signings have not eventuated ( apart from Charles who was here before).