How will BH set up against Barrow?

Richmond96

I couldn't believe the side and bench selected against Aldershot. I was depressed before the KO and my fears played out over the 90 mins. If you set up defensively, especially at home, and for the first game of the season when optimism is high, you rarely win and as was shown on the day often lose. Yes we had the odd chance, but Aldershot looked at ease, especially in the second half and their defence was rarely harried.

This means selection for the match at Barrow will be under scrutiny. I personally do not get the BH love in with the former North Ferriby players. Billy you're managing Halifax Town now.

Denton has his pros and cons. I'd use him more in away matches when his defensive contribution will often be very helpful.

Clark is a grafter who doesn't let anyone down, but bringing him on when we need a goal doesn't strike fear into the opposition defence.

I get the feeling BH has his favourites (all of whom seem to lack pace) and that's it. Well I think we'll struggle unless BH starts to adapt a more open mind.

I know its early days, he got us promotion so deserves a chance to prove himself in this league, but I think he's going to have to change his mind set to survive and win over the Shay faithful.

This is not a call for Heath out. You have to have somebody better lined up before going down that path and our 3 managers in our relegation season show how hard it is to pick a "good one".

Fingers crossed BH gets it right.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I don't get is how setting up with two wingers on Saturday is being regarded as "defensive"? I was a little surprised to see the teamsheet too, as I often am, but for me it was because it was a boldly attacking one.

eB1rqBu.png

I disagree with elements of team selection on Saturday, as we all do. But this is modern football. It isn't about picking your first eleven every game, first elevens don't exist any more. Rightly or wrongly, im sure the team was picked with 4 tough games in 10 days, including 2 tough away games on the trot in mind. Saying that, it's gonna be a tough season, whoever in the squad plays. 

Just now, Snappy777 said:

Not a chance Josh Wilde will be dropped & why should he.He is a better defender than McManus.Only critisism of him is that he doesn't get forward enough.Where as McManus does.

You've answered your question mate. He suits 3 5 2 better.

11 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

One thing I don't get is how setting up with two wingers on Saturday is being regarded as "defensive"? I was a little surprised to see the teamsheet too, as I often am, but for me it was because it was a boldly attacking one.

eB1rqBu.png

Spot on.

I wouldn't have a clue. As an underdog going away you'd think we'd go with trend and set up tight in a 4-2-3-1.

it all depends on who is fresh. You've got Garner, Riley, Macca travelling all the way up from the midlands with legs needing a good stretch inbetween!

youd think Denton would be part of an away formation to hold it up but is he fresh? He did look fitter and quicker the otherday though.

Im not going to get bogged down in worrying about something I can't control. Just going to back whoever is on the pitch and trust Heath  has got it right in only the second game of the season. Can't read into paterns, mistakes and Heath traits until 10-12 games.

28 minutes ago, Snappy777 said:

Not a chance Josh Wilde will be dropped & why should he.He is a better defender than McManus.Only critisism of him is that he doesn't get forward enough.Where as McManus does.

McManus is better than Wilde twice over in every single department

56 minutes ago, Richmond96 said:

I personally do not get the BH love in with the former North Ferriby players. Billy you're managing Halifax Town now.

Let's look at  this statement shall we:

The team:

Starting team

Johnson  Port Vale

Wilde  NFU - close to being the most consistent player last year\ before that Gainsborough

Garner Boston

Brown Chester

Hotte  NFU for one season - before that Bradford Park Avenue

Duckworh Morecambe

McDonald Marske United

Oliver NFU for 1 season - highly touted  signing. ex Morecambe and Blackpool

Denton NFU for 2 seasons ( 39 goals in 81 games there), ex Alfreton and Cheltenham

Kosylo Nantwich

Tomlinson Carlise and Barnet

Substitutes

Charles Fleetwood and Fylde

Clarke NFU 4 years

Riley Wrexham ( amongst others)

McManus Crewe

Nicholson NFU

So basically 2 of the 16 were NFU  bred of whom only one came on as a sub and the other was unused. The remaining NFU players deserved their spot but in any event had been at NFU for less than 2 seasons and before that had a football pedigree, journeymen if you will).

Don't let the facts get in the way of your post........

40 minutes ago, Snappy777 said:

Whilst we are talking about playing wing backs there's no way Wilde should be playing over Macca. For wing backs this is

For what it's worth not many sides will go to Barrow this season, especially on a midweek evening and pick up points. Not that it will prevent the usual hysterics on here should we get beaten. Chester is a more realistic hope of picking up our first points.

3 minutes ago, noelm1979 said:

For what it's worth not many sides will go to Barrow this season, especially on a midweek evening and pick up points. Not that it will prevent the usual hysterics on here should we get beaten. Chester is a more realistic hope of picking up our first points.

Agree with that. We get them at the right time though with their double figure goal scoring centre forward having left just 2 weeks ago and their new batch of signings having been there probably just over a week. Would prefer to play them now rather than in January.

Disagree with no Kosylo.

Cant have Lynch and Hotte in same midfield.

No Denton forces the players to think about their passes.

Would like Macca in the side as he will contribute with goals.

I notice Aldershot had four bookings to our nil. Were we outmuscled? Do we need to be more aggressive? I appreciate the ref was the usual standard.

Noel's right, and bear in mind too that almost everyone is encouraging Heath to twist rather than stick with the line up he selected on Saturday. There is every chance that a new formation or strategy will take some getting used to, especially if it is dramatically different from Saturday's line-up. It's clear that we don't know what our best team is, or what our best system is and it may take a little time to find out which systems work in which situations. The pressure is on Heath to sort that out on Tuesday if he can.   

Also, Saturday's line-up was neither defensive, nor attacking, it was caught in between. An error let their goal in, and the second just happened from chasing the game (and it was never a penalty). Everyone seems to think the problem was in midfield where Aldershot dominated, and where we were never able to string a move together form back to front. How do we change that then? Are wing-backs the answer?  
5-3-2 would technically be more defensive, though it depends on how gung-ho Duckworth and McManus/Wilde would go forward. Personally I wouldn't start both MacDonald and Kosylo, but rather play Dixon or Charles in place of one of them. Who gets stuck out on the left is a bit of a problem...  

Arguably our most creative player doesn't get in the team in Kosylo?

If playing wing backs we need him central as he will at least run at players and create something.

I think we may see a few changes tomorrow and I was a bit miffed at the squad selected on Saturday as most were. However BH is the manager and picks the team as he sees fit for that game, it didn't work so we move on. We need to give him and the players a reasonable amount of time before making the rash judgements that we do every single season. Personally I thought this season would be tough and had resigned myself to thinking safety would be a good outcome and anything above that would be a bonus. It seems people on here think we should be aiming for play-offs. One thing that I did see on Saturday was that the movement of Aldershot caused us problems and we were a bit like rabbits caught in the headlights at times but I didn't get too disheartened as I think the games against the likes of Chester and Guiseley will define our season more than the like of Aldershot etc.

For what its worth if Morgan isn't in Heaths plans he should try and move him on (I actually think he offers a lot to the team from what I have seen) as he probably brings a hefty wage and look to get another player in.

Difficult for part time teams to change it that much, certainly early on in the season as very little time to work on different formations. Say for example Billy decides to go 3 at the back, the players will have to fly by the seat of their pants as they have only played it for approx 30 minutes in pre season. I do however feel long term a 3 5 2 formation does tend to suit the players at our disposal. 

17 minutes ago, AFC Halifax said:

Difficult for part time teams to change it that much, certainly early on in the season as very little time to work on different formations.

I do however feel long term a 3 5 2 formation does tend to suit the players at our disposal. 

Well said.

Defensively it suits us, and with the type of strikers we have then it should be 2 upfront.

How would people feel about a 3-4-3. It would bring a lot of responsibility on lynch/Hotte to defend proper and the attacking midfielder to create and not get suckered into defensive duties but it's an attacking, gung-ho and also balanced formation.

although I said 2 upfront suits us, the wingers we have with somebody like Tomlinson or Morgan as the centre forward could be a decent breakaway smash and grab forward line?

Like you say though, time restraints and especially during August is against us in regards to learning.

I like the idea of 3-5-2 but where is the room for the wingers like MacDonald, Charles, Kosylo? I fear we'd end up deeper and deeper and eventually concede.

Atleast we've got nice problems and options!!!!

I'll just repeat a few of Mr Heath's quotes from pre season:

About selection for the first game- after the Carlisle draw -

"“We’re going to have a lot of decisions to make about who plays in the first game of the season, but it’s not about who plays the first game, it’s about the full squad,” he said.

About team formation - after the Rochdale game-

Heath said: “I thought we played really well in the first-half. It was a new system, 3-5-2, but we wanted to have a look at it. I thought, against good opposition, the boys were magnificent. “It was a good opportunity to look at it in case we need to look at it. “Second-half they also did really well, back in our normal formation."

The questions we are talking about now were being considered in preseason.

11 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

I'll just repeat a few of Mr Heath's quotes from pre season:

About selection for the first game- after the Carlisle draw -

"“We’re going to have a lot of decisions to make about who plays in the first game of the season, but it’s not about who plays the first game, it’s about the full squad,” he said.

About team formation - after the Rochdale game-

Heath said: “I thought we played really well in the first-half. It was a new system, 3-5-2, but we wanted to have a look at it. I thought, against good opposition, the boys were magnificent. “It was a good opportunity to look at it in case we need to look at it. “Second-half they also did really well, back in our normal formation."

The questions we are talking about now were being considered in preseason.

What does worry me a bit is that would be my first choice system with the players at his disposal. Definitely not 4 4 2. You have Dixon Kosylo and Oliver who can play attacking midfield and who can create things for others.

I could understand 4 2 3 1 or 3 4 3 and 4 5.1 especially playing the latter away.

I also recall Billy saying that he was looking at playing Wilde with Macca on the left further forward. I wonder if he's still considering it?

I could see Macca linking well with Lynch and the left sided forward.

Archived