Aldershot thread

Steve Lanzarote

10 minutes ago, rdj said:

Perhaps, with no scout, we were given duff info about Aldershot !

It shouldn't have taken a genius to have some inkling of their capabilities. Some posters on here pointed them out a few weeks back. It shouldn't be too hard to keep abreast of who is signing whom, how teams performed last year, etc.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love this was either going to be play offs or relegation after today. Based on last season, and that is all I can do Aldershot will be one of the top teams this season. I actually thought we did ok, t

Was very surprised at the starting line up and bench. I did a post earlier in the week about options and today's set up was not what I expected.  Hearh has always said that "it's not about player

For as long as the most clueless cnut ever to enter the Shay stays in his Maltese bubble, I think we'll be fine.

1 hour ago, royals1922 said:

It's one thing for people to say he picked the wrong team, another for people to justify that.

Here is the team.

Starting team

Johnson

Wilde

Garner

Brown

Hotte

Duckworh

McDonald substituted 67th minute by Clarke

Oliver

Denton

Kosylo

Tomlinson substituted 69th minute by Charles

Substitutes

Charles

Clarke

Riley

McManus 

Nicholson

Okay no BS just name what changes you would have made to the team including, if necessary,  the subs bench.

I'd have gone with Lynch in for Hotte, Morgan for Tomlinson and Charles in for Macdonald.

Would definitely have left attacking and possible game changing options on the bench - based on my starting 11 I'd have had Nicholson, Riley, McManus, Dixon and Tomlinson.

2 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Only just watched the highlights - what on earth is Johnson doing for their first?

I know Duckworth makes the initial mistake, but that's woeful from Sam - he's a better keeper than that.

Massive rush of blood. If he'd have stayed in his area he'd have had more chance.

4 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Only just watched the highlights - what on earth is Johnson doing for their first?

I know Duckworth makes the initial mistake, but that's woeful from Sam - he's a better keeper than that.

Highlights not on the link S Lumb sent me to load from just 3 interviews.Log in from main site and it's stuck on Ferriby game.Am i missing something ?

50 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

It shouldn't have taken a genius to have some inkling of their capabilities. Some posters on here pointed them out a few weeks back. It shouldn't be too hard to keep abreast of who is signing whom, how teams performed last year, etc.

We have to look at other teams when we set ours up. Especially in this league. Other clubs websites help in that you can watch highlights and read reports but that isnt enough at this level. You need a decent scout report at this level.

16 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

We have to look at other teams when we set ours up. Especially in this league. Other clubs websites help in that you can watch highlights and read reports but that isnt enough at this level. You need a decent scout report at this level.

I doubt clubs at this level scout the opposition in pre season, be pretty pointless with all the changes made.

28 minutes ago, greygoose said:

I doubt clubs at this level scout the opposition in pre season, be pretty pointless with all the changes made.

I also reckon it was harder to scout in this division for a number of reasons.

Firstly teams were adding players right up to the eve of the season.

Secondly, in the North, most of the clubs are in relative proximity with one another.

In this division, you had teams all over the country playing their friendlies, a lot of the time, with teams close to one another.

Thirdly a lot of the friendlies were played with Mr A Trialist or junior players.

In many ways it is like wading through treacle.

1 hour ago, thetalktrainer said:

Not as woeful as the referees decision for the penalty. Utter tripe, he needs reporting to the powers that be for that disgraceful decision 

The officials disallowed an Aldershot goal which was wrong , the lad who scored was onside the one in the middle was offside but never touched the ball i can only assume it was for interfering.

The conversation between the linesman and ref seemed to take ages so maybe another infringement occurred I didn't see , same with the penalty took his time to point at the spot , i wonder if the ref was undecided but having disallowed a goal earlier he gave them it .

We have a tendency to blame the officials when we lose but not on Saturday i thought the ref had a decent game , took his time and thought about it , unlike some refs who seem to take great pleasure in awarding penalties to the opposition , i have seen some refs who look like they want to do a triple somersault with tuck and point to the spot 14 times .

Just been having a look at the Aldershot forum and the fans on there can't believe they got the penalty decision which subsequently led to the singing of "you don't know what your doing" to the ref.

cant blame the ref for the result tho if the game was still being played now I don't think Halifax would have scored. 

After a couple of days reflection I feel the biggest problem on Saturday was the manager didn't bolster up the midfield when Aldershot started to dictate. Oliver & Hotte were outnumbered and Tomlinson was asked to try and stop the No.8 getting on the ball. Maybe in hindsight and I  probably going against the majority Clarke could have come on for Denton and got in and around the No.8 leaving Tomlinson to play up front as a more mobile loan striker option than Denton? 

1 hour ago, AFC Halifax said:

After a couple of days reflection I feel the biggest problem on Saturday was the manager didn't bolster up the midfield when Aldershot started to dictate. Oliver & Hotte were outnumbered and Tomlinson was asked to try and stop the No.8 getting on the ball. Maybe in hindsight and I  probably going against the majority Clarke could have come on for Denton and got in and around the No.8 leaving Tomlinson to play up front as a more mobile loan striker option than Denton? 

My move was Riley for MacDonald giving us 3 4 3 with Kosylo and Tomlinson dropping deeper when required

7 hours ago, royals1922 said:

It's one thing for people to say he picked the wrong team, another for people to justify that.

Here is the team.

Starting team

Johnson

Wilde

Garner

Brown

Hotte

Duckworh

McDonald substituted 67th minute by Clarke

Oliver

Denton

Kosylo

Tomlinson substituted 69th minute by Charles

Substitutes

Charles

Clarke

Riley

McManus 

Nicholson

Okay no BS just name what changes you would have made to the team including, if necessary,  the subs bench.

I asked the above question:

I got 3 responses:

7 hours ago, last_chance_saloon said:

Dixon for Hotte.

Morgan for Tomlinson

Charles for MacDonald

then Bobbins said ( sorry the quoting mechanism has gone haywire):

Lynch for Hotte

Morgan for Tomlinson

Charles for McDonald

with a bench of Riley, McManus, Dixon, Tomlinson and Nicholson 

while Wilder said 

Riley for McDonald.

Now I don't mean to be disrespectful to any of the posters I've referred to as they only proffering their opinion as to the line up.

The point of the exercise was to show that the actual mechanics of team selection ( and changes) is an inexact science.

I deliberately kept out my own view but, without knowing team plans ( and that is a crucial factor), I thought Morgan should have been in the 16 in place of Tomlinson.

14 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Have you just landed from Mars? The Morgan-Heath saga goes back to last season.

No I just believe Morgan when he said in the Courier last week this:

“Even off the pitch I supported the lads because it was all about getting the club promoted and back to where they belong. And I was happy with the part I played."

“I had a good start. I’ve always believed I can could score goals if I play games. “Sometimes in the run-in the manager decided not to play me but I had no problem with that because we were promoted so it turned out to be the right decision.”

and this:

“I believe I will score goals but I’ve slowly been adding other bits to my game that the manager wants. “Things have happened in the past but I don’t look back. For whatever reason I’m playing at this level. “But I do believe I am capable of playing at this level and doing really well. “I want to play my part and help the manager and the club. I’ll give it my best.

and Mr Heath said this, after the Rochdale game :

"Adam Morgan’s quality for the second goal and the finish from Kosylo was fantastic. But we’ve got to do that every week."

Without meaning to be disrespectful, I like you think Morgan has a lot to contribute to Town and could be a major goalscorer for us. That said, I don't know if he's injured, had a disciplinary matter or whatever happens behind closed doors. Also the interview of Morgan I've quoted shows a player of some resillience.

1 minute ago, royals1922 said:

“Even off the pitch I supported the lads because it was all about getting the club promoted and back to where they belong. And I was happy with the part I played."

“I had a good start. I’ve always believed I can could score goals if I play games. “Sometimes in the run-in the manager decided not to play me but I had no problem with that because we were promoted so it turned out to be the right decision.”

and this:

“I believe I will score goals but I’ve slowly been adding other bits to my game that the manager wants. “Things have happened in the past but I don’t look back. For whatever reason I’m playing at this level. “But I do believe I am capable of playing at this level and doing really well. “I want to play my part and help the manager and the club. I’ll give it my best.

"Adam Morgan’s quality for the second goal and the finish from Kosylo was fantastic. But we’ve got to do that every week."

without meaning to be disrespectful, I like you think Morgan has lot to contribute to Town and could be a major goalscorer for us. That said, I don't know if he's injured, had a disciplinary matter or whatever happens behind closed doors. Also the interview of Morgan I've quoted shows a player of some resillience.

A player would be a fool to say anything else for fear of jeopardising any chance he has but I know for sure he is not happy.

6 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

and this:

Without meaning to be disrespectful, I like you think Morgan has a lot to contribute to Town and could be a major goalscorer for us. That said, I don't know if he's injured, had a disciplinary matter or whatever happens behind closed doors. Also the interview of Morgan I've quoted shows a player of some resillience.

What do you expect him to say royal ¨the manager is a useless sh!t bag and does not know his ar$e end from a footballer¨ sorry royal but a bit obvious.

3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

What do you expect him to say royal ¨the manager is a useless sh!t bag and does not know his ar$e end from a footballer¨ sorry royal but a bit obvious.

Mr Heath did play Morgan at length last year so he is well aware of what Morgan can do and can't do. And more importantly Mr Heath does not single many players out for specific praise.

In fact after the Rochdale game this was reported in the courier:

" Heath said every player contributed to the win, with many individuals catching his eye"

Those players he named included Moyo, Morgan, Kosylo and Denton  and the back three, as a collective.

After the Carlisle game he did not name any player.

After the Bradford game he named Clarke and Charles individually.

Now the above players correlate pretty well to the team that played Aldershot except for Moyo and Morgan.

As for Moyo, this may explain why he didn't play.

From the report from the Bradford game about Moyo:

“We’re hoping it’s more of an impact than anything else because as he’s blocked the lad, he’s fell onto his ankle,” Heath said. “Yes he’s twisted it a bit but we’re hoping it’s more of a bruise on the bone more than a ligament injury.”

So I reckon Morgan's more than in the plans of Mr Heath.

Archived