Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaysyke

Halifax Dukes Speedway

Recommended Posts

How many of the people on here remember watching the Football in the afternoon and after a few beers were back again in the evening to watch the speedway?

For those who did not know the Shay was also home to Halifax Dukes Speedway team until 1985.

In 2015 Halifax `Golden Fleece` Dukes Junior Speedway team won the Northern Junior League 4 Team Tournament.

2016 saw the Dukes go unbeaten in the Northern Junior League and win the Northern Junior League.

If you have never seen Speedway then why not treat the kids or even yourself during the Holidays and visit The National Speedway Stadium, Kirkmanshulme Lane, Gorton, Manchester, M12 4WB

At 7:30 on Wednesday 9 August Belle Vue Colts will race Plymouth Devils in their quest for The National League Title. 

Following the main event Halifax `Golden Fleece` Dukes will race against Newcastle Gems in the Northern Junior League.

All this for only £10 for Adult entry and kids under 18 free, unbelievable entertainment value.

DSC00222 (3).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never watched any Speedway. If it was still at the Shay I think it would be very tempting to give it a go as I can imagine its something i'd get quite into. 

A shame we can't get it back down the Shay and let the egg chasing go elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had many good evenings watching The Dukes but my loyalties were more with The Shaymen and I had mixed emotions when they went as The Shay had a chance to become a proper football ground, it still took years for that to happen but it would never have happened if The Dukes had stayed. Hopefully one day they can have success and return to the district.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many a Saturday spent watching both late 60's early 70's. Will never forget being showered in grit the smell of the exhaust and the pitch corners on wooden pallets. Happy days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travelled all around the country and indeed the world watching speedway back in its prime but sadly the closure of Odsal killed my interest. Just the couple of jaunts to Scunthorpe and Sheffield a couple of times a season is my lot nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, chadders said:

Travelled all around the country and indeed the world watching speedway back in its prime but sadly the closure of Odsal killed my interest. Just the couple of jaunts to Scunthorpe and Sheffield a couple of times a season is my lot nowadays.

Did you ever go to Waterden Road, Hackney?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Cradley Heath graffiti still sprawled all over the Skircoat bogs?

Great days. Carter, Evitts and co.

Still pop over to former arch rivals Belle Vue now and again, if only for the smell of Speedway and the noise of the engines.

Would love to see the Dukes back in Calderdale, can't see it happening unfortunately, far too many NIMBY's about these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved the speedway. Denis Gavros, Eric Boocock and Dave Younghusband.  Made me get my first bike at 13 years old bought it with the money made on my paper round.  I bought it off a bloke on Whitehill Drive, Illingworth.  My dad always had a bike never a car, he made me push that bloody bike all the way home.  Can always hear him say, "its your bloody bike you get gerrit home"   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, canberracol said:

Loved the speedway. Denis Gavros, Eric Boocock and Dave Younghusband.   

My era also but I lost interest when the governing body started enforcing transfers of riders between teams to "even up" the league. If I remember correctly they wanted us to give up Gavros ( who I didn't rate). The Dukes complained and refused so the powers that be took Tommy Roper ( who I did rate)instead.  Didn't go again.....how would a football team react to the FA saying your too good so we are giving one of your players to a league rival just "to even it up".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And David boothroyd 

what s great team that was spent many a Saturday night watching the dukes as a kid 

but happy now to have a proper stadium and remember this removable football corners we had 

watch many a footballer fluff taking corners from them 

talked last year with Kevin keagan and he remembers doing that when he played for Scunthorpe 

nick 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We show speedway on BT Sport up in the club in Greetland and usually have more in watching that than any big football match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Did you ever go to Waterden Road, Hackney?

Many times L yes indeed. Tube out to Leytonstone and steady walk from there. Track was a tad smaller than the Shay tho !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the speedway as a kid at the shay. Always stood on a bend and ended up having a battle getting grit out of my hair. Still have many autographs from the Carter era. Chris pusey was in the team when I started watching them. Remember merv janke breaking his wrist, coming back two weeks early, then breaking both wrists when he clipped another riders wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick said:

And David boothroyd 

what s great team that was spent many a Saturday night watching the dukes as a kid 

but happy now to have a proper stadium and remember this removable football corners we had 

watch many a footballer fluff taking corners from them 

talked last year with Kevin keagan and he remembers doing that when he played for Scunthorpe 

nick 

 

Loved the corners, wooden pallets with turf on top. No wonder divots were kicked as often as the ball!

loved the speedway but glad when it moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was always fun taking a newbie to speedway and telling them the corners were the best viewing spots and ducking down when the riders approached and looking up to see a face full of shingle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shaysyke said:

How many of the people on here remember watching the Football in the afternoon and after a few beers were back again in the evening to watch the speedway?

For those who did not know the Shay was also home to Halifax Dukes Speedway team until 1985.

In 2015 Halifax `Golden Fleece` Dukes Junior Speedway team won the Northern Junior League 4 Team Tournament.

2016 saw the Dukes go unbeaten in the Northern Junior League and win the Northern Junior League.

If you have never seen Speedway then why not treat the kids or even yourself during the Holidays and visit The National Speedway Stadium, Kirkmanshulme Lane, Gorton, Manchester, M12 4WB

At 7:30 on Wednesday 9 August Belle Vue Colts will race Plymouth Devils in their quest for The National League Title. 

Following the main event Halifax `Golden Fleece` Dukes will race against Newcastle Gems in the Northern Junior League.

All this for only £10 for Adult entry and kids under 18 free, unbelievable entertainment value.

DSC00222 (3).JPG

It's good to see the Dukes are still going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rick Holden said:

Kenny Carter was a bit of a legend... 

used to bring his 4x4 to supporters club carwash on a sunday dinnertime,was a decent bloke,couldn't forsee what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick said:

And David boothroyd 

what s great team that was spent many a Saturday night watching the dukes as a kid 

but happy now to have a proper stadium and remember this removable football corners we had 

watch many a footballer fluff taking corners from them 

talked last year with Kevin keagan and he remembers doing that when he played for Scunthorpe 

nick 

 

Eric you mean, went on to be promoter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

carter got a bit too big for his boots. quite a few times he threw his teddy if excluded and parked his bike on the starting line refusing to budge.  his dad had a garage up towards Keighley and alan a garage somewhere towards holmfield. got Alan's autograph when he was watching Kenny one night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chadders said:

Ta ;)

Well I would've not go so far as to say always correct 

as I guy who sits on the fence is neither correct or wrong :) 

nick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...